YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Because they take a bit of weight off my back. I'm short enough already so a bit less weight up top helps! With the Meg and two 80's I'm carrying more than my bodyweight...

My point was that I don't need them for trim.

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Personally, I reckon you could sell your existing fins if they are in good condition and buy a pair or Jets or Turtles and the difference would be about £10. Ankle weights often cost more than that.

Plus they are good fins for control in the water, if the Cressi fins are the ones I think they are, then I'd really go for a rubber fin over them - the difference will probably be night and day.

There are many centres which have fins to borrow/hire, worth checking that out and trying a pair as they aren't for everybody, but they are for most people in my experience.

Digs.

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Loads of people moan about ankle weights but then they wear masivly heavy fins.

I used to wear ankle weights with Cressi fins but when i switched to Turtle fins i found i didnt need them any more. When i baught a rEvo CCR i found the turtle finns a bit heavy and by chance discoverd jet fins were perfict for my trim so I sold the Turtles and baught jets.

I also dive Apolo Biofins which are fine with a wet suit or membrain and base layer but with a dry suit and 200g undersuit i again need ankle weights.

So my 2p is if they work and you feel better with them, use them. If your worried about a rule 6 violation then get Turtle Fins

ATB

Mark

·
Registered
1 Posts
My trim tends to be terrible, especially while descending (at the beginning of the dive) and when I carry stages! I feel super head heavy and when I compensate I move my feet down. This happened particularly when I started diving twinset and stages - with stages gets even worse because first stages are heavy. I shifted all my weights to the bottom but not enough! Very frustrating, until recently when my drysuit was sent in for repairing and I dived my old neoprene drysuit and the trim problems were gone! - I realized the problem with my buouancy was that my trilam drysuit doesn't fit me properly - legs are too long. With the old neoprene drysuit I feel the air going to the feet and it just stays there and I can control my buoyancy perfectly. I learned my lesson and I will never buy a non proper fitted drysuit anymore. 🙃

21 - 24 of 24 Posts