YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My camera flooded while i was in Egypt and i was wondering if there is anything i can do with the sd card to revive it? Currently it isnt read by my pc. Also anything i should do with the camera before i try to turn it on? So soaked it in freah water and have let it dry out fully. Pretty much resigned to buying a new one but you never know!

Thanks Rhys

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
electronics and salt water are bad i would bin the camera as it may work but will stop quickly. i would disassemble the camera and check all the circuits with a magnifying glass to see if you can see anything wrong with them before you even turn it on as you may only get one chance if it shorts and kills components its dead for good imho. if you find any containments on the circuits try cleaning them off with normal water when you have done clean the whole thing with distilled water and a soft brush to be sure you have removed everything then try turning it on best of luck but i wouldn't hold out any hope, sorry.

With the sd card wash it in warm water let it soak then get some isopropanol or similar and soak it in that and leave it to evaporate off naturally and try again if that doesn't work you may try some of the data recovery places if the pics are that important

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Having disassembled a flooded camera in the past I really wouldn't bother. Unless you really know what you're doing you'll not get it back together even if you know what to look for re: "anything wrong with them". Save yourself the bother and throw it away. If it was a fresh water flood you may get somewhere but only if it's a small one.

The card will benefit from washing in fresh water and drying thoroughly. If it's been left in salt water a while then it's probably beyond repair.

Sorry I can't be more positive.

·
Going, Going .....
666 Posts
Snap :-(

I flooded my G12 last week, 2nd dive of a 2 week holiday!

Thankfully I had swapped the card over from the previous day and more thankfully, it's insured.

·
Notice my avatar. I am hard astern.
9,347 Posts
Not a solution but might pre-empt another disaster: Samsung do a waterproof SDHC card now

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers for the help, camera is well and truly dead. Hoping theres still life in the sd card. Will find out tomorrow. Guess my plans to upgrade have been moved forward now!

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts
My CF card from a flood 2 years ago wasn't readable by me but I sent it off to a data recovery company who said they could recover the data but at a cost of £400. Seeing as it was cheaper to reshoot than pay for the recovery, I ditched the card and reshot it.

Regards

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cheers for the help, no luck though. Lesson learnt remove photos between each dive!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts