YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Liberal Lefty
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Humph

Managed to flood my Halcyon Proteus 3 in Stoney a couple of weeks ago. After drying it off for a day it seemed to work so I took it to Swanage with me last weekend and it was completely dead. The battery seems fine as the charger notices that its connected and lights up, and when I switch on the torch I hear a faint ticking/clicking as though it is trying to fire the bulb for about 10 seconds and then silence.

Looking at the bulb it doesn't seem blown (no scorch marks, all metal bits still touching and look fine)- anyone had experience of sending these in for repair and how much they charge exlucding parts? Given it cost £300 and bulbs alone are £80 I'm trying to decide whether it will be economical to repair or to look for a new one.

·
beyond a mid-life crises into complete insanity!
1,394 Posts
Andy

I flooded my torch last year

It made the same clicking noise and the bulb looked OK but turns out it wasn't

I recently got it fixed by Underwater Explorers.

All they did was replace the bulb, the O rings and I think put a new lead on but I have not seen the torch since as gave it to a friend.

If you want to know how much it cost pm me

HTH
M

·
Liberal Lefty
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, that is strange. Just as I was about to put it in a box and send to get fixed the bloody thing started working again!

Well, it saves me cash I suppose

·
3,293 Posts
Well, that is strange. Just as I was about to put it in a box and send to get fixed the bloody thing started working again!

Well, it saves me cash I suppose
Hi

If it was flooded then the light cord may have moisture in it and cause problems. It might be worthwhile hanging the lighthead and canister lid to dry the cable out, light head up obviously, so the moisture can run down to the canister lid.

Batteries are usually fine so long as you ensure that water hasn't collected in the plastic wrapping at the bottom of the pack, where over time it will corrode.

Now that it is working the best thing to do is to burn test it. This will not only produce some heat which will help dry it out, but will also ensure that you are getting the burntime you expect, as some of the batteries might have degraded.

What I do is stick the lighthead in a bucket of water and turn it on, starting a timer. Pick a target time, near the burn time you expect, and leave it alone, monitoring it every 10 mins or so. Charge it as soon as you can after the burn test so as not to let the batteries degrade.

Andy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts