YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
To dive or not to dive - that's not even an option
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Are any of our world wide members from Florida USA? Do any of our other members have any info on diving there?

I have a few days there in Feb. and was going to get some diving in. I don't want to go as far south as the Keys as it's just too far. I will be based in Orlando but will move to either coast to suit the diving - if I get any??

Thanks

James  

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Sorry Squire,

The only diving I did whilst I lived in Cocoa Beach (about 40 mins from Orlando) was in the brackish waters of the Indian and Banana Rivers - very good to mixed vis (lots of boats if you weren't careful) but the rather large pleasure of diving with Manatees!

Good luck, dive safe and enjoy!

·
The King Of The Divan
1,848 Posts
Imported post

A few years back I dived out of West Palm Beach on the East and had a good time - mainly drift dives with turtles and sharks (mostly nurse but some bull sharks). There are some wrecks but of the pre-fabricated variety, so I preferred the drifts

Have done the Keys as well and when I go back I would choose WPB over the keys, but first choice would be to do some more cave diving in the springs.

Simon

·
Membership Cancelled
980 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#8D38C9'>I will be in Florida Feb 20-Mar 1 - cave diving only I'm afraid.  Many of the springs are accessable to open water divers provided you stick to the cavern zone.  I know some Orlando based instructors who might be able to advise on open water sites though you can't go far wrong with:

Diving Guide To Underwater Florida, 10th Edition
by Ned Deloach

Duncan

·
Registered
72 Posts
Imported post

I dived in the aquarium at the Epcot centre last September

Not exactly deep or challenging but you're guaranteed to see lots of stuff - rays, turtles, sharks, etc.

We were in Orlando too but didn't find anything else within driving range - one of the three of us wasn't diving so we didn't want to risk travelling miles to somewhere where there'd have nothing for them to do whilst we were diving...

·
Ginger, Irish, sometimes stroppy
5,997 Posts
Imported post

At risk of sounding controversial......Ask in the Florida section of Scubaboard, there are quite a few FL divers there who will probably show you the local scene.

·
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imported post

Scubaboard??

I'll go and find it, I tend to stick mostly to YD as I can spend an hour here "just like that".

Thanks

James

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

I second the recommendation of West Palm Beach. The Gulfstream comes close to the shore there, so you have a good chance of seeing sharks, big pelargics and turtles. There are several good charter boat operators. Also, be sure not to miss the manatees (Crystal River).

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Imported post

I'll second the Crystal River bit, spent 2 weeks based there, wondeful. Rainbow River, about 60min? drive north, get taken to head of the river and snorkel down, takes about an hour, needs good wetsuit.

Water is generally very clear but not always warm, especially after some time in it.

Adrian

·
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Imported post

Florida is nearly sorted, thanks for all the above info.

I will be doing 3 days diving in the freshwater springs on various sights including Blue Grotto, Ginnie springs and Forty Fathoms. I also have a days snorkeling with the Manatees booked for the day before I fly. I've hired a big 4wd pickup for a laugh and I'll be taking my new oly 5050, (thanks for advice on the photo pages guys.), so hope to get a few good pics.

James  

·
more weaselly than a weaselly thing
3,628 Posts
Imported post

I'll be in Ginnie probably on the 9th/10th feb. If you see a black othree drysuit, come on over and say hi!

/Zak

1 - 12 of 12 Posts