YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being that we live about 350 miles form my mum I have to resort to flower deliveries for Mother's Day, rahter than being able to take them around myself. I usually try to phone a florist local to her and order direct witht hem, but it was frantic last week at work and I wasn't getting home until 7 or 8 at night, so I thought i would find a local florist to her that had internet ordering.

A good plan, eh? That's what i thought. A quick search on Yell.com came up with The Fruit Bowl in Maryport, and lo and behold they were an outlet for Flowers Direct, from which I could pick my Mother's Day bouquet and they would deliver it either Saturday or Sunday. Perfect.

So, after much umm-ing and ahhing I picked a nice arrangement, paid up and completed the order. Got an e-mail back with my order number and a customer service hotline number in case I wanted to check anything later.

Saturday came and my mum phoned to thank me for the card. No mention of flowers.

Sunday lunchtime came and i phoned her to wish her happy Mother's Day - still no mention of flowers. I got my dad onside and asked him to keep an eye out in case they got left whilst they were out.

Sunday night, after the 8pm last delivery time and still no flowers. I phoned mum and apologised profusely to her. :(

So, today I try and get hold of them. every try on the CS helpline number is met with "the lines are busy - please try again later". Time, after time, after time. So, I ohone their sales line - picked up in one ring. lad there tells me he can't do anything himself but that lots of people didn't get their deliveries, apparently. He suggests trying an e-mail, which I did. I got an automated reply telling me they would get round to me in 48 hrs. I replied back saying it was not good enough. Got the same automated mail back.

Kept on trying the CS helpline, same message.....

Got stroppy and phoned the sales line again. Again picked up in one ring. Again told that they couldn't do anything. Again told that lots of folk were having the same problem as me. This woman was slightly more helpful and volunteered to take my name and number to see if her supervisor could get through for me.

45 mins later I got a call from the CS helpdesk. The guy on the end of the phone suggested that my son in Iraq (!!!!!WTF!!!) had complained. I said no, I had. He said that I wasn't the customer though, I said I was. We finally agreed that I had placed the order and that it was me that had complained that the flowers had not been delivered. "oh, I don't know what happened to those then, but I am sorry". I suggested what had happened was probably the same as had happened to the orders of the hundreds of other customers who had been jamming their phones all day. he denied that this was true until I told him that this was direct from his sales colleagues, then he went quiet.

He then asked what I wanted to do. He suggested that they try and deliver the flowers. When would that be? I asked..he didn't know. He would "have to phone the local shop and see, but it would be as soon as they could". I pressed harder, he could guarantee nothing. Fine, said I, me a full refund and by the way I am appalled at your shambles of a company and I shall tell that to everyone i know. So here I am :D

Do NOT touch FLOWERS DIRECT (www.flowersdirect.co.uk) with a bargepole. Don't touch them with someone else's bargepole. Don't even waft a bargepole near them. They are a uselss, incompetent bunch of idiots who would like to take your money for services they can't or won't provide. In this case it was specifically a Mother's Day bouquet, ordered for Mother's Day - what use is that delivered the week after "whenever they can fit it in"????

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

·
Atomic Blonde and Midjit Idjit
16,469 Posts
Bummer! Sorry to hear that Lou. Gift vouchers via recorded delivery in future?

I couldn't be with my Mam yesterday either so we have been shopping today and I got her some nice CDs.

Oh, and five work suits for me!

·
Thats MISTER Blue Boots to you....
9,371 Posts
Wayhaaaay! Quality rant! Have a special rant-o-matic (tm) green!

·
Team Tricky: Diving with Twins
3,004 Posts
If you want to buy flowers online, I can highly recommend 0800 Flowers. I have been buying flowers from them for years now and only once have I been disappointed with them (roses on Valentines Day). They have always delivered when expected and, apart from the Valentines roses this year, the flowers last for much longer than the 7 days they guarantee them for. You also get an instant 10% cashback if you pay on an Egg credit card.

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
By the way - in case it wasn't clear in the rant, I have no children, and even if I did there is NO WAY they would be old enought o serve in Iraq!!! :D

Cheeky sod.

·
old time
6,658 Posts
AWWWWWWW . really sorry to hear that Lou.

I'm lucky ( sometimes ) as my mum only lives a mile and half away from me , so i went there on Saturday and gave her a pot plant and a few odd's and sod's ........

Just for the record ..... My mum gets ONE red rose off me on the 28th of each month and has done since the 28th may 1980

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
Sorry to hear that. If it's any consolation Tesco.com get the flowers delivered on time but usually in fairly bad condition. I just use Interflora now. I know you pay more money but to date I haven't had any problems and they are usually made and delivered by the local florist anyway!

·
Please delete all my posts
12,604 Posts
Scuttler said:
Sorry to hear that. If it's any consolation Tesco.com get the flowers delivered on time but usually in fairly bad condition. I just use Interflora now. I know you pay more money but to date I haven't had any problems and they are usually made and delivered by the local florist anyway!

Not true, I have never had a problem with tesco.com for flowers. I ordered for my and SWMBO mothers and flowers arrived in good condition on the day we asked and at a sensible time. this happens every time we need flowers delivered.

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
dry suit diver said:
Not true, I have never had a problem with tesco.com for flowers. I ordered for my and SWMBO mothers and flowers arrived in good condition on the day we asked and at a sensible time. this happens every time we need flowers delivered.
Guess it must be my Mum's local Tesco's then because of the 4 times I have sent her flowers from Tesco they have always been in poor condition.

·
It doesn't look like that from where I'm sitting..
4,745 Posts
Lou, sorry to hear you've had problems... think it just goes to show that with any internet or telephone ordering, there is always that possiblilty that despite the compnies promises, the ordered item may not show up on the day it is supposed to. (All they do is apologise, and offer to send them as soon as possible - TOO BLOODY LATE, MATE! Never, 'Sorry, here's your money back, we'll deliver the flowers tomorrow for free because WE messed up')

I'm in the same boat as you - folks live 300 miles away, so do hold my breath a little when ordering for special days such as Mother's Day. I do have the number of their local florist, I suppose it would be easier and more reliable to order through them... but the cost is usually far more (especially Valentines Day) so I take my chances on the phone or via the internet...

·
So raise your hand if you think that was a Russian
11,158 Posts
Lou,
Sorry to hear about your problems, but would loved to have been litening in on the bit about your son in Iraq. Did you offer to send him your wedding pictures :) ?

r
Paul

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
turbanator said:
Lou,
Sorry to hear about your problems, but would loved to have been litening in on the bit about your son in Iraq. Did you offer to send him your wedding pictures :) ?

r
Paul
No, but i nearly offered to send him a slap - FOC!

·
So raise your hand if you think that was a Russian
11,158 Posts
Lou said:
No, but i nearly offered to send him a slap - FOC!
Hmmm, perhaps there's a niche in the market here.

Interslapper - say it with fingers.

nah, people with sick minds would get the wrong idea. :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Lou, you're not the only one to have problems with this shower.

SWMBO also ordered Mother's Day flowers that failed to materialise. She too had to ring the Sales line (because Customer Services were permanently busy), and was told they couldn't do anything about it. On finally getting through to CS, they had the gall to ask if she would still like the flowers delivered. No apology.

She got them to refund her. I don't think either of us will be using them again.

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi Paul

I can only guess from the sheer load on their lines that hundreds of orders were left unfulfilled. I would have been happier if they had admitted this - say, for example, their computer system had gone down, but to give no reason and pretend that all was well was what really hacked me off.

I shall never use them again.

Lou

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
Hi Lou
In my previous life (before current business) I use to grow flowers and have a service of sending flowers by post. I would send our cut flowers by post to UK (from portugal) and would normally arrive three days later. Because we couldn't depend on the post for precise delivery we would normally send them a touch earlier. We only had a small amount complaints when the flowers arrived early, however if they arrived late the customers would be sure to let us know (with reason).
I havn't checked the link, are they flowers by post? If so there is a higher risk in delay but the customer should be informed of this. Other than sending flowers by post it's the personal delivery where the company arranges a local florist to make a bunch and deliver them. With this service there should be no excuse for delay or poor quality.
Whatever the case you were treated very poorly. I was too honest for the business as I would refund the full amount and still send an apology bunch in believing that keeping a customer happy would make them return. In the end I changed business due to the high costs and low sales, it wasn't worth it.

By the way, from what I understand Tesco's sub-contract their flower service to another well known company in Guernsey and receive a cut in the sales.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts