YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Hiya!

We are due to fly out of Gatwick with Excel on the 9th of November and was just wondering what they are like with their weight allowances...are they pretty strict with you?

Also, do you have to pay for your drinks? We're abit out of date with this having only done long haul (where all drinks were included) and sceduled flights for the past couple of years....

Look forward to your replies...

Scubachick  

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>All flights to Egypt with Excell have a 20 kg baggage limit, no exceptions. They allow 30 kg for divers to any other destination, but not the Red Sea!

I don't fly with them until the week before yourself so I don't know how you'd fare if you're just the odd 1 kg over. Usual rules, I guess. Get there nice and early and be smiley and nice - you might get away with it. Otherwise, be prepared to pay.

Don't know about paying for drinks either, but best to take a big bottle of water anyway.

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
Imported post

Hi,

Further to what Mark said, I copied this from there own web pages:

Diving equipment-Passengers taking diving equipment on all flights (Excluding Eqyptian flights) are now allowed 10 kilos excess baggage free of charge in addition to their normal 20 kilos luggage allowance. Please be advised that all excess baggage is subject to space and availabilty on the day of departure. All Egypt bound flights such as Luxor, Sharm El Sheikh and Hurghada are weight restricted, so we are unable to grant any extra allowances for these flights. If tanks are carried please ensure that these are emptied and the cylinder valve is loose. Large groups of divers must inform the Special Requirements department at least one week prior to departure.
Flying after diving-All passengers must leave a minimum surface interval of at least 12 hours prior to flying after diving. This recomendation is based after a single non-stop dive. If passengers plan to make daily, multiple dives for several days or make a dive requiring an emergency decompression stop, special precaution must be taken. Its recommended that passengers extend their surface interval beyond 24 hours prior to flying after diving.
Wedding dresses-Wedding dresses and other important accessories should be suitably packed for carriage in the aircraft hold. No charge is levied for the carriage of the wedding dress if prior notice is given to the Special Requirements department. We would strongly recommend that passengers take out a separate insurance for these items.

Handy tip:

wrap up yourt dive kit in a cream (say) velvet peice of cloth and tell them your getting married in a cream Velvet wedding dress, yards of it. They'll just think you have aheavy wedding dress and won't charge you for it. Maybe!!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Just back from Turkey with Excel yesterday - we took 2 obvious dive bags weighing 23 & 26 kg each - they took em no problems though the girl on check in (Gatwick) made a small point that they were overweight and we might be charged on the way back at £4 per extra kg - which we weren't anyway.

They have a chargable drinks service (£2 a can of beer, 65p soft drinks, £2.50 ish for wine) and the food is generally ok.

HTH
Paul

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

Hiya dcrampt!

Thanks for that info! I'd like to see me get away with the material scam!!!!

Scubachick

1 - 5 of 5 Posts