YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay, so i admit it, knots aren't my thing. thanks for the last posts though fellow divers, as now i'm pretty good at tieing a perfect boltsnap knot !!

how about this one then: the bungee that goes on the redundant 2nd stage around the neck. On other divers this has extremely tidy knots around the mouthpiece that hold it in place effectively whilst looking good.

my efforts so far look like crap!!

anyone have any links on this or am i pushing my luck?!

·
Yep! My Spidey-senses are tingling! We're going di
532 Posts
Just use a fishermans or double fishermans and then put the mouthpiece in the loop before pulling them tight. This is a perfect way to make the necklace for holding it

Steve

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Personally I use a similar method to Mal (cable tie over the knot either side) but use a figure eight knot as they are designed not to slip. Simple. In reality any knot will do, as long as it won't come back through the cable tie.

Digs.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
Halcyon wetnotes have a plastic pocket in which I keep various sizes of zip tie, o rings and pick (surface use only) along with other bits and bobs. Comes in useful.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
I find a fisherman's knot neatest and most secure, works well on bungee too and has never come loose, no need for cable ties to keep it together (which I don't like on the necklace as it can sometimes dig into your lips / cheeks).

David

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
Have to say my bungee necklace came premade with IIRC double fisherman knots on.

Second dive I did it came loose so I remade it myself. Three dives later it came loose so a friend retied it. Next dive it came loose so I took it back to the shop who retied it. Three dives later came loose.....so I cable tied it!

Have done 15 dives with no problems so far.

If you think about where you are placing the cable tie and pull it tight enough then it shouldn't dig in to your cheeks.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Have to say my bungee necklace came premade with IIRC double fisherman knots on.

Second dive I did it came loose so I remade it myself. Three dives later it came loose so a friend retied it. Next dive it came loose so I took it back to the shop who retied it. Three dives later came loose.....so I cable tied it!
Oh, well I wasn't going to bother explaining, but I suppose i'll have to now.

Fishermens knots only work if they've got something to pull against - usually the other side of themself. The ones I use aren't quite like that, because they've only got the sliding knot on one side of each of the two knots.

*could really do with a picture here*

-----------------|-O-------------------------------X----
_______-----X-------------------------------O-|--------------------

Right, the ------ is the bungee, the O is a normal, plain, simple, single, small, knot (ie a loop with the bungee passed back through the middle). The X is the fisherman's knot, and the | is where that fisherman's knot ties over the other end of the bungee. Ignore the ____ bit, its just that the forums won't preserve spaces at the start of the line.

The addition of the O gives the tightness, so it won't work loose, and also means that the mouthpiece hole (which is what this is) will remain the same size, rather than tightening as you wear it (obviously you have to be careful to make it the right size in the first place. Also thin bungee works better than thick bungee.

Obviously if that still doesn't work then stick with cable ties, but there's no particular reason that it shouldn't stay tight.

David

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
Oh, well I wasn't going to bother explaining, but I suppose i'll have to now.

Fishermens knots only work if they've got something to pull against - usually the other side of themself. The ones I use aren't quite like that, because they've only got the sliding knot on one side of each of the two knots.

*could really do with a picture here*

-----------------|-O-------------------------------X----
_______-----X-------------------------------O-|--------------------

Right, the ------ is the bungee, the O is a normal, plain, simple, single, small, knot (ie a loop with the bungee passed back through the middle). The X is the fisherman's knot, and the | is where that fisherman's knot ties over the other end of the bungee. Ignore the ____ bit, its just that the forums won't preserve spaces at the start of the line.

The addition of the O gives the tightness, so it won't work loose, and also means that the mouthpiece hole (which is what this is) will remain the same size, rather than tightening as you wear it (obviously you have to be careful to make it the right size in the first place. Also thin bungee works better than thick bungee.

Obviously if that still doesn't work then stick with cable ties, but there's no particular reason that it shouldn't stay tight.

David

Makes perfect sense. Have to admit the only thing the knots had to pull against was the mouthpiece.

Cheers for the explanation.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
What thickness cord are people using on their backup? 3mm looks really thin and in danger of whiplash injury whereas 5mm just looks to thick to me.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts