YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

For those of you building your own torch, I've just found a source of good priced halogen dichroics.

The usual, plus 75w, 85w, 100w and (wait for it) 150w!

And for those of you into retina burning, there is a 250w, 24v

Either PM me or call Anne Pengelly at Stage Electrics in Exeter (01392 255868) - mention "Diving" and "John" and she'll be nice...

·
Registered
283 Posts
Imported post

I have been toying with the idea of building some of my own kit for a while and a torch seems like a reasonable introduction (i'll leave the regs for a while).

Does anyone have any links of other info that will give me a sstarter for ten on where to begin ?

Cheers,

John

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
Imported post

As a matter of interest -

Has anyone tried making a home-build canister torch by taking a normal decent-powered rechargeable torch, something like:

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=86543  (or maybe one of the torches that you plug the battery pack from a cordless drill into).

...then disembowelling it and sticking the internal bits into a canister made out of drainpipe or whatever?

I think I can handle the mechanical bits of making a waterproof canister, lighthead etc, but the electric bits confuse me... this seems like a feasible shortcut. Anybody tried it or got any opinions?

·
Charter Boat Skipper, Salvage Diver & YBOD abuser
1,605 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>If you look back through the topics on this thread there are loads on homebuild torches IIRC

1 - 9 of 9 Posts