YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Given recent events it has given me some cause for thought.

I have met up with a few of you, in groups and also singularly and in that time only one person has actually given me written emergency contact details in case they are required; at the time I kind of just pointed to my mobile and commented, "phones unlocked, Wifes details are in the phone book and the car is unlocked.."

I won't mention who it was, but I am sure he knows who he is and good on him for considering possible eventualities.

I am sure there is a list of things we should all consider and make available when we are diving with friends we have met through YD, we all pray we will not have to make use of them, but prior planning can make things a bit easier.

So anyone else got ideas and suggestions of information that should be given to a buddy prior to a dive?

So far we have emergency contact information and I guess basic medical info would be useful including blood group and any medicine related allergies. Maybe combine it with some other useful medical info in bold such as NO ENTENOX. warnings etc?

God forbid it ever happens, but it could be passed on with the casualty to the medical staff.

Daz

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hey Daz
How about a laminated credit card with medical info, age, qualification, emergancy details etc.
Might even have YD logo on the back could raise a few bucks for the WEB funding.
All you whould need to do is leave yours and your buddies cards in the motor.
sorted.

Wack

·
Registered
381 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Some of the Army Surplus places do 'dog tags' and will put whatever information will fit on them for you .... They might be an idea. Easily accessable in an emergency ?

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Daz

The British Diving Safety Group (BSAC, SAA, SSAC, PADI, DDRC, HSE, MCA and RNLI) have a Diving Incident Information chart they request filling in and moving with the casualty.

Contents:-

1. Date and Time.
2. Location/site Lat/Long.
3. Boat name, Call sign.
4. Sea state, Type of Boat.
5. Wind speed/direction.

Casualty Details

7. Name / age / gender.
8. Address.
9. Contact ashore.
10. Relationship.
11. Telephone Number.

Buddy Details

12. Name / age / gender.
13. Address.
14. Tel No.
15. Contact Ashore / relationship / tel No.

16. Medical History of Casualty. (Alergies, Medication, Diseases, injuries).
17. Dive Details for the day:-
Time In, Time Out, Max Depth, Air/Mix (for each dive).
18. Name of Group/Club.
19. Association.
20. Supervisor/Leader.
21. Tel No.

Rather a lot to fill in quick, but the best you can i suppose.

Dive Safe

Paul

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>When we dive as a club we fill in emergency contact details such as next of Kin.  That way the correct person can be informed should something go wrong.

If I dive independently then I have some details printed and put with my moble phone number and I give this to the skipper in a waterproof phone bag. However ithe instruction  is it is only to be used in the very worst case, otherwise I would be able to call myself.

Fiona

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Wacker @ Feb. 23 2004,00:45)]Hey Daz
How about a laminated credit card with medical info, age, qualification, emergancy details etc.
Might even have YD logo on the back could raise a few bucks for the WEB funding.
All you whould need to do is leave yours and your buddies cards in the motor.
sorted.

Wack
I think this is a good idea Wack, but how about two such cards?

One for "in the motor" or some similar place and the other in your BC/suit pocket or otherwise on your person?

So if you are (hopefully never) lost, your buddy has details - but if you are recovered, you can be rapidly identifed.

Does anyone know how those self-laminating cards hold up underwater?

Pouch-laminated stands up OK (ask Michael about my map of Stoney
), but self-laminated is easier to arrange I guess.

Dom

A possible idea could be like this...

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
Imported post

Dom, that's a good idea and a good design. From a medical perspective, what other bits of info should go on it? Blood type / known allergies?

I agree that two bits of info are desirable - one to be worn on the diver, and one to be given to boat skipper or buddy to leave in the car (unless it's an inland site where you sign in with contact details anyway, or the skipper takes a record of names and contact details).

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Wacker @ Feb. 23 2004,12:08)]On the back of dive slate could be good.
I've currently got details on the back of my slate (waterproof marker pen). The only problem with that is that I've had the experience of losing a slate underwater due to clumsiness (though we did find it again later). If somebody had found it, there's the possibility that a false alarm could be raised (and conversely, had I got into trouble after losing it the info wouldn't be available).

For that reason I'm going to do a laminated card type thing and hang it round my neck under my suit.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>tom
I see were your comming may be a cylinder sticker is a better idea?
You whould have to be pretty clumsy to loose your tank

I did think of neckless type idea but, in practice think a permanant part of the kit is better as you cant forget to take it on every dive.
wax

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Wacker @ Feb. 23 2004,12:30)]You whould have to be pretty clumsy to loose your tank
Wacker, you've not seen me in the water yet have you?

I was thinking of the necklace as something you could keep wearing on the way home, in case you crash your car and need medical attention then (the no entonox bit) - something I picked up from a discussion somewhere else I think.

Having it as a permanent part of the dive kit makes a lot of sense though  - tank sticker is a good idea.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (tom @ Feb. 23 2004,12:04)]From a medical perspective, what other bits of info should go on it? Blood type / known allergies?
I did think of that, but a lot of people don't know their own blood type, and trauma protocols administer O-neg until crossmatched blood is available.

Known allergies is a possible, but the main-stays of DCI management are O2 and fluids - no allergy risk.

Any of the medics here care to add to the moulage?

Dom

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Porg @ Feb. 23 2004,12:50)]I think we need to add to the card

"if drunk and lost please return to................"

What? You mean you have no Alcoholic Homing Instinct?  

Dom

·
Registered
56 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I'd add a plea not to bullshit about diving experience. Nothing quite like getting to the dive site before your buddy owns up to maybe exaggerating a bit about their previous dive history - leaving me to hastily plan an alternative dive. Short of employing a seasoned cross-questioning lawyer, it can be quite difficult to pin down a buddy who, presumably, feels that if  they admit to inexperience they wont get taken on the dive :
Me) So where have you dived before?
Buddy) Oh, loads, the red sea, britain, the med
Me) So done plenty of sea diving before?
Buddy) yes, loads.
Unspoken: In the red sea with a guide at 15 metres
Me) And you've dived in Britain before ? (note the fatal error
in phrasing)
buddy) oh yes loads,  
unspoken: in capernwray
buddy) I reccomend XXXXXXXX and xxxxxxxxx, its shallow but full of crustaceans, theres a good entry point
unspoken: Which I have read about but never dived myself
Me) So you've definately done cold water sea diving before then?
buddy) oh yes
unspoken: I call the spanish coast in august cold water diving.

After three pints in the pub at the dive site, gentle readers we discover our seasoned buddy has never set foot in british sea water since he got too old to dig sandcastles. AARGH!

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>yup, good point evil twin, and having loads of experience dont make you shit hot either!  I dived with a girl who had over 50 more dives than me at the time and she was shocking in her planning, her profiles eg - i have 3 mins of no deco time left and we are on top of a 30m wreck - we planned no deco - so she goes DOWN to penetrate the wreck again......  
  , she gave me the out of air signal when she had 70bar in a 12l and a full pony (and i got slated cos i didnt get to do the safety stop i wanted to do).  She wanted to penetrate a very bad vis wreck with no reel off or me having no torch.  We dived a wreck that i had dived at least twice before and she refused to follow me even though i was leading, consequently we got separated and missed a dive.  GOD DAMMIT.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Porg @ Feb. 23 2004,18:38)]yup, good point evil twin, and having loads of experience dont make you shit hot either!  I dived with a girl who had over 50 more dives than me at the time and she was shocking in her planning, her profiles eg - i have 3 mins of no deco time left and we are on top of a 30m wreck - we planned no deco - so she goes DOWN to penetrate the wreck again......  
  , she gave me the out of air signal when she had 70bar in a 12l and a full pony (and i got slated cos i didnt get to do the safety stop i wanted to do).  She wanted to penetrate a very bad vis wreck with no reel off or me having no torch.  We dived a wreck that i had dived at least twice before and she refused to follow me even though i was leading, consequently we got separated and missed a dive.  GOD DAMMIT.
<font color='#000080'>I assume the dive went fine but she suffered a diving related injury after surfacing when you decked her ;-D. Scary woman.

·
The Artist formerly known as 'John Duncan'
364 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Wacker @ Feb. 23 2004,19:52)]<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'><span style='font-family:Comic Sans MS'>Tom
If its a piece of jewellery you want to wear all the time try this:-
SOS Talisman Jewellery
And they are waterproof to boot proper job !
</span>
</span>
<font color='#F52887'>I wear one of those mate anfd I am afraid that they DO leak. I even bought a new seal from SOS themselves. But they are very good, I have details on a laminated sheet in my wrist slate and same in a small otter box in my pocket.

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I have a medic alert bracelet - expensive at £30, and only really any good if you have a hidden medical condition - mine is asthma.  However if it did all go tits up then they look at the bracelet, find the registration number and phone the number to find out all they need.
What i have thought about is getting in touch with identi-tag, they do all our dog ID discs.  You can get plastic ones no problem, im sure they are about £5.  Im going to ask about getting both sides of a small plastic plate (about 2 inches by 2 inches) done with details on it to wear under my suit.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts