YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
the kind of human wreckage that you love
11,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I thought this was rather cool :cool:

"Doctor Who' fans may have been surprised by Saturday's mid-season cliffhanger, but they are likely to be even more stunned to find out where one part of the story originated.

Not only does the episode 'A Good Man Goes To War' reveal River Song's true identity (which we won't give away here in case you haven’t seen it yet), but it also explains the supposed meaning of the word 'Doctor'.

On Saturday, viewers saw River Song claiming that the word came from the Doctor himself – she said that humans started using the word 'Doctor' in reference to him, because he heals people during his time travels.

And this is where it gets really weird as back in 1995 a fan of the series posted a theory about the Doctor's name that strangely resembles what we heard in last Saturday's episode. The comment, which appeared on a 'Doctor Who' newsgroup, read:

"Here's a particularly stupid theory. If we take "The Doctor" to be the Doctor's name - even if it is in the form of a title no doubt meaning something deep and Gallifreyan - perhaps our earthly use of the word "doctor" meaning healer or wise man is direct result of the Doctor's multiple interventions in our history as a healer and wise man. In other words, we got it from him. This is a very silly idea and I'm consequently rather proud of it."

Guess what the mysterious poster’s name was? Steven Moffat – the current head writer of the series, who came up with the theory 16 years ago when he was merely a fan of the sci-fi show.

Funnily enough, his post prompted another user to comment:
"Good stuff.. I really like it... If only the Doctor Who writers could be so imaginative..." "

http://uk.tv.yahoo.com/news-extra/article/152281/doctor-who-plot-posted-16-years-ago.html

:D

·
Mad as a Haddock
2,206 Posts
Now that's interesting.

Thanks for that.

MyM

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Ah, but did you see the bit where Amy had to give Rory mouth to mouth and didn't even bother to hold his nose shut? Pffft. And is there a contractual obligation to shoehorn at least one clumsy gay reference (it's the clumsy I'm objecting to) into every episode? Otherwise, I'm hooked!

·
11,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ah, but did you see the bit where Amy had to give Rory mouth to mouth and didn't even bother to hold his nose shut? Pffft. And is there a contractual obligation to shoehorn at least one clumsy gay reference (it's the clumsy I'm objecting to) into every episode? Otherwise, I'm hooked!
Ha ha ha Yes :D I noticed that. I think she was having a strawberry blonde moment ;)

It is unravelling beautifully but I have been wondering for a very long time when The Doctor's daughter (clone) will re-appear. He ( as David Tennant) thought she was dead but she was rejuvenated with the planet growth thingy and then flew off into space
The 'Gamma forest' girl that died on Saturday said that when she met The Doctor he said "run" and that they did a lot of running; I'm sure that was his daughter that he said that too
Any thoughts anyone ?

·
11,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
doesn't he say run to everyone he meets at some point?
Very probably but, iirc, it was particularly specific in that one, part of the theme of the episode as it were

·
Devout Sceptic
4,726 Posts
I'm glad that peeps are still enjoying Doctor Who but I really can't get into this new boy. I've only seen part of one episode of this current season.
There is a nagging feeling in the back of my mind that I should try harder.

Davis Tennant was The Doctor since he made a modern comeback just as John Pertwee was The Doctor in my childhood.

My biggest complaint is that they re hashed the theme tune when the new boy started. Ruined it I say, ruined it!

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
I'm glad that peeps are still enjoying Doctor Who but I really can't get into this new boy. I've only seen part of one episode of this current season.
There is a nagging feeling in the back of my mind that I should try harder.

Davis Tennant was The Doctor since he made a modern comeback just as John Pertwee was The Doctor in my childhood.

My biggest complaint is that they re hashed the theme tune when the new boy started. Ruined it I say, ruined it!
Nah, Tennant was a bit 'boy band' for me. For all his youth, Matt Smith seems like a much older character.

YMMV, even in a TARDIS. ;)

·
Devout Sceptic
4,726 Posts
I was disappointed when Christopher Eccleston left the role so soon. I liked the dark, edgy Doctor he portrayed.
He could have been the best ever Doctor with the right storylines.

·
Losing the Will...
3,815 Posts
Hope Sylvester McCoy doesn't make another appearance. Eccleston brought the Doctor back to life for today's viewers, that and good story lines. Theme tune has been pantsified.

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
I was disappointed when Christopher Eccleston left the role so soon. I liked the dark, edgy Doctor he portrayed.
He could have been the best ever Doctor with the right storylines.
I'll agree with you there. He could have been fantastic. :D

'Lots of planets have a north.' Great line.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts