YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
the kind of human wreckage that you love
11,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Come on guys, cut out the puerile stuff and personal attacks

I agree that VS is wrong, the things they have been doing are outrageous and unacceptable. I also feel that Jay sold us out.

But it's time to stop behaving like a bunch of ASBO offenders ruining it for those who wish to stay or visit.
Granted, you have good cause to post threads discussing changes and making objections but most of the current threads have turned in witch hunts and are a disgrace to the memory of what YD once was.

At least 500 Community Members will be moving on, there's no doubt about that, but others may wish to still visit and a whole bunch of other YD members will make the new YD their forum.

It's pretty clear that all these protestations will have no affect but if you want to make a change do it sensibly, not trashing individuals. It's a right pile of pooh but if you're leaving, say good bye, give your reasons if you like, but move on.

I reiterate, I am totally against what has happened but it's not going to change however much you scream & shout. I expect VS are used to it, know it will happen and quite possibly make money out of the increased activity. Food for thought eh? You are quite possibly playing into their hands

It is unlikely I will visit here much in the future, being predominantly on TDF, so Happy New Year YDers and Safe diving

·
I really do have a pink weight belt
764 Posts
I also feel that Jay sold us out.

A few others have mooted this point. Which seems unfair on Jay. While many have posted links to what VS have done with forums in the past, these members also believe, that Jay; despite 8 years running a website, didn't do a 30 second google on the prospective buyers?

I doubt Jay made an overnight decision to sell YD.

·
A VS Cash Cow
17,822 Posts
A few others have mooted this point. Which seems unfair on Jay. While many have posted links to what VS have done with forums in the past, these members also believe, that Jay; despite 8 years running a website, didn't do a 30 second google on the prospective buyers?.
I'd prefer he made a snap decision when the offer came in, than consider that he'd done a google search and seen what was coming.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
A few others have mooted this point. Which seems unfair on Jay. While many have posted links to what VS have done with forums in the past, these members also believe, that Jay; despite 8 years running a website, didn't do a 30 second google on the prospective buyers?

I doubt Jay made an overnight decision to sell YD.
So you think he knew exactly what was going to happen to the forum after the take over? After all if he did the research ...

·
Registered
217 Posts
I'd prefer he made a snap decision when the offer came in, than consider that he'd done a google search and seen what was coming.
In all honesty though - if YD was your creation, and someone offered you, say £50k for it, would you have taken it anyway?

Takeovers always suck - RBS took over NatWest, and f**ked up the economy, costing the taxpayer billions. But people still bank with them. VS is playing a similar game to Fred the Shred Goodwin - buy assets, milk 'em.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
If you could clarify post #6 that would be great. I have read it numerous times and I'm confused as it feels contradictory.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
No I said he used Google, not learnt how to read minds.
But sure several other members googled them and were able to predict step by step what was coming next by past patern.

Also knowing how YD deals with things ....

·
"Three sheds"
12,615 Posts
I was happy to give VS the benefit of the doubt when they first did the takeover. Yes they've cocked up a few aquisitions in the past, but we all make mistakes and learn from them. And, to be brutally honest even if I was 90% certain the shitstorm going to happen, for £50k [1] I'd probably take the money anyway. [2]

There are other forums. People will move on. YD will become stale and in a few years slip down the the rankings. In 10 years time we will have all forgotten it and be meeting on other forums dressed in shiny silver suits and riding on hoverboards.

Janos

[1] - I doubt it was that much. Perhaps £10k to £20k.
[2] - I know, I'm a sell-out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I suspect that Jay got offered a decent slug of money for a forum based on an activity that he didn't take part in any longer. Of course he took the money, who can blame him.

Doesn't excuse all the VS lies and bollocks though.

·
A VS Cash Cow
17,822 Posts
In all honesty though - if YD was your creation, and someone offered you, say £50k for it, would you have taken it anyway?
I would of taken the money but i'd would of known what was coming and gone deep and dark. Takeovers can go well if handled properly but this one was handled straight out of a corporate playbook and done as every other with not a momwents thought to the members who provided all the content they'd just bought!!

·
I really do have a pink weight belt
764 Posts
I'm saying Jay most likely did a check on VS. Weighed up the pros & cons.
That worked out well for all concerned didn't it?

On the other hand...

500+ have jumped shipped and gone to TDF, so the clique of YD has gone (well a few are hanging around to b*tch for a few more days). So TDF is immediately starting with a clique mentality, which will probably end up limiting them in the long run.

1 - 20 of 126 Posts