YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Weasily recognised or stoatily different?
1,130 Posts
Sorry Sparticus. That's not cool. I don't like what's happened here anymore than you do, but that language pushes it too far.

I do find it ironic though that the new owners have instigated the profanity checker module within the board software to amend references to other websites to refer to YD, but still allow references to what is probably the last taboo word in the English language.

1,130 Posts
Not intended to offend, it's what I would say if I was having a conversation with you about it.

I also find it slightly nauseating that there are some who are desperate to involve themselves in the formation of the new forum whilst still on here bleating away. (A general statement not personal to you)

Lot of hypocrisy around.
My stance - I don't like what's happened here - probably won't stay around but will probably still pop in, and if it's still hospitable join in a bit.

I would however like to leave (if that's what happens) on reasonable terms rather than them thinking "TFFT - he's gone" because of my behaviour on leaving. If they think that anyway then fair enough...

Whatever, to use the pub analogy language like that maybe OK in the snug when you are in there with just your mates, but it is inappropriate (or at the very least boorish) if you are in the main bar with people you don't know so well. It's not a think of the children statement - it's a just show a bit of consideration statement. Many people find that comment offensive - including my wife. If we were in the bar chatting together I would probably laugh, if I was in the bar chatting with you and my wife was with me however, I would ask you to moderate your language. Whatever you write in here can be read by my wife. So, I ask respectfully, that you temper it.

1,130 Posts
Staying on the pub analogy someone has suggested that one of the new forums that is being set up charges a membership joining fee!
I saw that too...
I'm putting that down to a brainstorming session idea, where people look at it, nod sagely, say that's an interesting idea and move on.
Because if it's implemented that's what will happen. People will just move on.

1,130 Posts
Depends if you want to sell anything I suppose ;)
I've not seen anything about intro's being compulsory, but I would consider it good form if only to say "hello I'm here".
I don't even know how many actually read them, but I would consider it good form.

1,130 Posts
You know what - I don't think most people give a flying either way, but there will be people new and old there so posting a quick intro doesn't do any harm. If the idea of introducing yourself to new people is so offensive to you then don't. The choice is yours.

Incidentally, the only time I've seen people get upset about no intro was when the first post was trying to offload kit. Why is asking for someone to say a little about themselves under such circumstances so wrong?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

1 - 6 of 6 Posts