YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Losing the Will...
3,815 Posts
Jay made a business decision to sell on a relatively small internet site, not make a life altering decision affecting the livelihoods of individuals or their families. No one has been killed, no one's lost their job, no one's had their property taken from them, no one's suffered a serious injury. There's no riot in the streets as a result and the world's still turning. His choice to sell is perfectly reasonable, he has no responsibility to anyone on here and vice versa. I doubt very much he could predict what may happen after he sells and so what if he could. Deal with it and get a sense of proportion. Businesses get bought and sold every day. Frankly, if this were my site to sell, I wouldn't have mentioned it to any members either. Any value in it would have vanished within 24 hours judging by some of the nonsense recently posted.

· Losing the Will...
3,815 Posts
You've been on YD less than 2 years. I would suggest this is why you feel like you do. Not saying that's wrong, just don't berate those who have alot time and effort invested
Who's being berated? The post was wrt to Jay's decision to sell. If you want to play the numbers game, in two years I've made over 3000 posts and been thanked more than 800 times so have also spent time and effort within this place, all given unconditionally without expectation of some sort of return. Nice if you get it, tough if you don't. I don't know why some are now saying they expected something more from the previous owner wrt the sale. He did what he needed to do. On these sites you give a bit; you take a bit, some just took, some gave a lot freely, all voluntary, no obligations implied or expected beyond the t's&c's, that's the way it works. Anything else is in the individual's own mind. No one was forced to use the site.

· Losing the Will...
3,815 Posts
Well since you want to keep on discussing it ...

Bad analogy. A better one would be friend buys old banger. Over time various people put money and effort int restoring it. Banger becomes valuable classic. Friend sells it without telling you. New owner says you cant use it like you used to.
An even better one would be friend buys old banger to let others use. Over time various people put money and effort in to restoring it, getting as much out of using it as they wish and putting as much in to it as they wish on the understanding nothing's set in stone. Banger becomes too much to maintain. Friend sells it without telling you because he can. New owner says you cant use it like you used to. You deal with it ;)

· Losing the Will...
3,815 Posts
Few assumptions in that version though
The only assumption around lately has been from some members assuming they've been entitled to something from Jay they weren't. Think of my posts on this thread as helping them come to terms with their grief; my last good deed on YD ;) given freely without expecting reciprocation :)

· Losing the Will...
3,815 Posts
Could be a good idea. Forum owned by a company, each registered user buys 1 share with no voting rights. Stops anyone ever selling it out from under the others to make a buck. I have put cash into a forum before to help meet running costs - not so different. Member sponsors had bigger PM and images allowances. Funnily enough the owner later sold to VS .....
Of three dive forums I regularly use I have voluntarily contributed financially to two of them. The only thing I want from them is a thriving community where I can get as much as I give. If they get sold, c'est la vie. I don't want the set up costs, headaches that go with running these site and constant policing that the owners have to deal with. Sites don't sell often, but when they do, the seller is entitled to it all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts