YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· On a break....
962 Posts
.to look at this another way, say if a few of you had all been getting a lift into work off a friend for the last couple of years in his car, one day he decides to sell the car and buy a push bike so no longer can give you a lift. Would you condem him for his decision as you were now stuck with the public transport system.
P
Well since you want to keep on discussing it ...

Bad analogy. A better one would be friend buys old banger. Over time various people put money and effort int restoring it. Banger becomes valuable classic. Friend sells it without telling you. New owner says you cant use it like you used to.

· On a break....
962 Posts
Staying on the pub analogy someone has suggested that one of the new forums that is being set up charges a membership joining fee!
Could be a good idea. Forum owned by a company, each registered user buys 1 share with no voting rights. Stops anyone ever selling it out from under the others to make a buck. I have put cash into a forum before to help meet running costs - not so different. Member sponsors had bigger PM and images allowances. Funnily enough the owner later sold to VS .....

· On a break....
962 Posts
Sorry Cheeky but it's a fact. Where did you sign up to anything different.
Never said I did. The mods who did years of unpaid work, the members who contributed financially, the experts who contributed so much, many people made YD what it is and the idea that none of them were entitled to anything is far from a "fact" either legally or morally.

· On a break....
962 Posts
Sites don't sell often, but when they do, the seller is entitled to it all.
In your humble opinion, and making certain assumptions about the scale and purpose of contributions.

Legal ownership is never everything. If you buy a house, I move in, together we do it up, but you pay for most of the materials - then you sell. Its most definitely not a fact that I am entitled to nothing just because it was yours to sell.

Whether anyone can be bothered is a totally different question, and all will depend on the facts in any given case, but it would be fascinating to know what a court would make of a claim from overworked unpaid mods on a forum sale one day.

I can see why long term users could feel let down

P.s. this is idle chat about the concept of sole ownership vs common enterprise with regard to forums in general - I dont know all the facts on this one. The one I was involved in before the owner repeatedly said was not for sale, asked for and got financial help, then sold. I could understand his reasons, but again could see how some may have felt cheated.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts