YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
81 - 100 of 126 Posts

·
So much more than a child's play thing!
2,702 Posts
On the other hand...

500+ have jumped shipped and gone to TDF, so the clique of YD has gone (well a few are hanging around to b*tch for a few more days). So TDF is immediately starting with a clique mentality, which will probably end up limiting them in the long run.
Oi, it's a well known fact that there are/were no cliques on YD :)

·
High on Cotol fumes ;-)
255 Posts
I'll be going to the new place but also sticking around here for a bit knowing some people will no longer frequent YD.
The way some people have degenerated has been a bit surprising and some of the vitriol has been a little OTT, YD has solid foundations and membership will continue to grow after any 'exodus', new divers will still sign up possibly to both forums.
As for the pub analogy, well I like to go in loads of different pubs, stay in the same one all the time and the atmosphere gets stale!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Weasily recognised or stoatily different?
1,130 Posts
Sorry Sparticus. That's not cool. I don't like what's happened here anymore than you do, but that language pushes it too far.

I do find it ironic though that the new owners have instigated the profanity checker module within the board software to amend references to other websites to refer to YD, but still allow references to what is probably the last taboo word in the English language.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Not intended to offend, it's what I would say if I was having a conversation with you about it.

I also find it slightly nauseating that there are some who are desperate to involve themselves in the formation of the new forum whilst still on here bleating away. (A general statement not personal to you)

Lot of hypocrisy around.

·
Registered
244 Posts
The bottom line is YD is or was Jays to sell, not the memberships. I say good luck to him and enjoy the money!!!! I guess i look at life in a simplistic form, no point complicating things when there is no need. To look at this another way, say if a few of you had all been getting a lift into work off a friend for the last couple of years in his car, one day he decides to sell the car and buy a push bike so no longer can give you a lift. Would you condem him for his decision as you were now stuck with the public transport system. The driver of the car is no more responsable for getting you to work than Jay is in maintaining ownership of YD to accomadate the wants of its membership,nor is he resposable in any way as to what the new ownership choose to do with regard YD. May i suggest those not happy with the new ownership and there methods simply go elsewhere and quit moaning on here, its not rocket science. I for one will continue to enjoy YD as i do many of the other dive forums.
P

theres a a guy selling his granny on ebay his sellers id is jay#5E11 does anyone recognise the seller :angel:

·
1,130 Posts
Not intended to offend, it's what I would say if I was having a conversation with you about it.

I also find it slightly nauseating that there are some who are desperate to involve themselves in the formation of the new forum whilst still on here bleating away. (A general statement not personal to you)

Lot of hypocrisy around.
My stance - I don't like what's happened here - probably won't stay around but will probably still pop in, and if it's still hospitable join in a bit.

I would however like to leave (if that's what happens) on reasonable terms rather than them thinking "TFFT - he's gone" because of my behaviour on leaving. If they think that anyway then fair enough...

Whatever, to use the pub analogy language like that maybe OK in the snug when you are in there with just your mates, but it is inappropriate (or at the very least boorish) if you are in the main bar with people you don't know so well. It's not a think of the children statement - it's a just show a bit of consideration statement. Many people find that comment offensive - including my wife. If we were in the bar chatting together I would probably laugh, if I was in the bar chatting with you and my wife was with me however, I would ask you to moderate your language. Whatever you write in here can be read by my wife. So, I ask respectfully, that you temper it.

·
On a break....
962 Posts
.to look at this another way, say if a few of you had all been getting a lift into work off a friend for the last couple of years in his car, one day he decides to sell the car and buy a push bike so no longer can give you a lift. Would you condem him for his decision as you were now stuck with the public transport system.
P
Well since you want to keep on discussing it ...

Bad analogy. A better one would be friend buys old banger. Over time various people put money and effort int restoring it. Banger becomes valuable classic. Friend sells it without telling you. New owner says you cant use it like you used to.

·
"Three sheds"
12,615 Posts
I think overuse of swearing devalues it. The f-word is so common that it's lost the ability to convey forceful meaning and language is the poorer for it.
And talking of poor language, Sparticus appears to have spelt "Spartacus" wrongly.

Janos

PS - On topic, I suspect that the reason people are kicking back is because VS have imposed unfavourable changes on the users. It's human nature that some people won't be bothered, some people will passively-aggressively undermine VS, some people will kick back forcefully. All very predictable.

·
Losing the Will...
3,815 Posts
Well since you want to keep on discussing it ...

Bad analogy. A better one would be friend buys old banger. Over time various people put money and effort int restoring it. Banger becomes valuable classic. Friend sells it without telling you. New owner says you cant use it like you used to.
An even better one would be friend buys old banger to let others use. Over time various people put money and effort in to restoring it, getting as much out of using it as they wish and putting as much in to it as they wish on the understanding nothing's set in stone. Banger becomes too much to maintain. Friend sells it without telling you because he can. New owner says you cant use it like you used to. You deal with it ;)

·
I really do have a pink weight belt
764 Posts
How about we have the 'glass half full scenario'.

So imagine YD as the fat girlfriend you dumped for younger model. Then next time you see her she's lost the weight and had a boob job!

·
1,130 Posts
Staying on the pub analogy someone has suggested that one of the new forums that is being set up charges a membership joining fee!
I saw that too...
I'm putting that down to a brainstorming session idea, where people look at it, nod sagely, say that's an interesting idea and move on.
Because if it's implemented that's what will happen. People will just move on.

·
On a break....
962 Posts
Staying on the pub analogy someone has suggested that one of the new forums that is being set up charges a membership joining fee!
Could be a good idea. Forum owned by a company, each registered user buys 1 share with no voting rights. Stops anyone ever selling it out from under the others to make a buck. I have put cash into a forum before to help meet running costs - not so different. Member sponsors had bigger PM and images allowances. Funnily enough the owner later sold to VS .....

81 - 100 of 126 Posts