YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
101 - 120 of 126 Posts

·
Losing the Will...
3,815 Posts
Few assumptions in that version though
The only assumption around lately has been from some members assuming they've been entitled to something from Jay they weren't. Think of my posts on this thread as helping them come to terms with their grief; my last good deed on YD ;) given freely without expecting reciprocation :)

·
Losing the Will...
3,815 Posts
Could be a good idea. Forum owned by a company, each registered user buys 1 share with no voting rights. Stops anyone ever selling it out from under the others to make a buck. I have put cash into a forum before to help meet running costs - not so different. Member sponsors had bigger PM and images allowances. Funnily enough the owner later sold to VS .....
Of three dive forums I regularly use I have voluntarily contributed financially to two of them. The only thing I want from them is a thriving community where I can get as much as I give. If they get sold, c'est la vie. I don't want the set up costs, headaches that go with running these site and constant policing that the owners have to deal with. Sites don't sell often, but when they do, the seller is entitled to it all.

·
Devout Sceptic
4,727 Posts
Staying on the pub analogy someone has suggested that one of the new forums that is being set up charges a membership joining fee!
Similarly, one of the new forums has apparently been funded by subscription.

God help us. Some of these people think they own the internet already. What they going to be like now they've actually paid for it? :rolleyes:

Reactions: Major Clanger

·
On a break....
962 Posts
Sorry Cheeky but it's a fact. Where did you sign up to anything different.
Never said I did. The mods who did years of unpaid work, the members who contributed financially, the experts who contributed so much, many people made YD what it is and the idea that none of them were entitled to anything is far from a "fact" either legally or morally.

·
I really do have a pink weight belt
764 Posts
Never said I did. The mods who did years of unpaid work, the members who contributed financially, the experts who contributed so much, many people made YD what it is and the idea that none of them were entitled to anything is far from a "fact" either legally or morally.
:confused:

Experts?

I didn't know we had experts on here.
A few Artistes, a couple of pre-madonnas maybe

But experts? Surely not :D

·
On a break....
962 Posts
Sites don't sell often, but when they do, the seller is entitled to it all.
In your humble opinion, and making certain assumptions about the scale and purpose of contributions.

Legal ownership is never everything. If you buy a house, I move in, together we do it up, but you pay for most of the materials - then you sell. Its most definitely not a fact that I am entitled to nothing just because it was yours to sell.

Whether anyone can be bothered is a totally different question, and all will depend on the facts in any given case, but it would be fascinating to know what a court would make of a claim from overworked unpaid mods on a forum sale one day.

I can see why long term users could feel let down

P.s. this is idle chat about the concept of sole ownership vs common enterprise with regard to forums in general - I dont know all the facts on this one. The one I was involved in before the owner repeatedly said was not for sale, asked for and got financial help, then sold. I could understand his reasons, but again could see how some may have felt cheated.

·
Registered
244 Posts
A perfect analogy i feel so get over it, simple, if you dont like whats happening what are you still doing posting on here!!!!??????
P

Well since you want to keep on discussing it ...

Bad analogy. A better one would be friend buys old banger. Over time various people put money and effort int restoring it. Banger becomes valuable classic. Friend sells it without telling you. New owner says you cant use it like you used to.

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,063 Posts

God help us. Some of these people think they own the internet already. What they going to be like now they've actually paid for it? :rolleyes:
Do you mean donations or subscriptions?

Regards

·
Devout Sceptic
4,727 Posts
Do you mean donations or subscriptions?

Regards
I suspect a lawyer could defend use of either.

Here is the best fit definition I could find for my intended usage of "subscription".

"sub·scrip·tion

noun /səbˈskripSHən/ 
subscriptions, plural

The action of making or agreeing to make an advance payment in order to receive or participate in something"

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,063 Posts
Ok, I can see where you are coming from.

Where the immediate donations went were to procure a server, software, bandwidth etc, the rest will be used to provide running costs, surplus will then go back into the diving community.

Building and running a forum is not free (not counting the substantial time taken to do the 'building and running'), so I am not sure where you think the money would come from to put the forum in place to start with?

Regards

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
...Building and running a forum is not free (not counting the substantial time taken to do the 'building and running'), so I am not sure where you think the money would come from to put the forum in place to start with?
Not sure what point you are making, nobody questioned the need for funding. The original point was around some donors mentality.

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,063 Posts
I was trying to clarify the difference between donation and subscription.

However, if the point was around some donors mentality, it was lost on me. Sorry.

Regards

·
Devout Sceptic
4,727 Posts
Ok, I can see where you are coming from.

Where the immediate donations went were to procure a server, software, bandwidth etc, the rest will be used to provide running costs, surplus will then go back into the diving community.

Building and running a forum is not free (not counting the substantial time taken to do the 'building and running'), so I am not sure where you think the money would come from to put the forum in place to start with?

Regards
I fully understand the whys and wherefores. My initial point was in response to a poster (see post #105) who seemed to show some incredulity that one of the new forums was considering a membership fee. I was just redressing the balance in view of the fact that there are no free lunches in this life!

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,063 Posts
Ah, apologies. Didn't get that far back up and indeed I put that suggestion that Yazzy refers to down saying that isn't how things would operate, and the reasons why.

Regards

101 - 120 of 126 Posts