YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm selling my underwater scooter. It’s a great bit of kit but unfortunately I just don’t use it enough these days. It’s currently on eBay with pictures and all the details here.

If anyone’s interested I’m also happy to accept direct offers.

Any questions, please feel free to ask.

Cheers,

Jez

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi Eddie,

First off the speed is independent of the depth, the biggest factor is drag. They claim a top speed of 2.4 mph but that seems a little quick to me. Realistically, with twin 12s and a couple of ali 80 stages, we used to reckon on travelling at the same speed that you could fin "quickly". This might not sound quick but the difference on the scooter is that you're not making any effort (we added a leash which we clipped to D-rings on our harness so you really are just being towed along). Overall you end up travelling almost three times the distance for the same air consumption. Obviously this is where the major benefit comes from at depth.

Maximum quoted burn time is 1 hour and this seems about right from the dives we did.

If you'd like to know more then please feel free to ask.

Cheers,

Jez

(Sorry for the delayed response but my work seems to block this forum.)

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
If anyone wants one of these for free, there's one somewhere near the Aeolian Sky. I'm not sure how close to the wreck it is, though - it was last seen heading at high speed towards France! lol

Sorry Dave - couldn't resist ;)

BTW - I owned one of these for a couple of years before upgrading to a Gavin and then an X-Scooter. Gotta say it but the Apollo AV-1 is a superb little scooter that's in a different league to other scooters in the same class. Mine used to happily drag me around with a twinset and multiple stage bottles without breaking too much of a sweat.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts