YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right I have to sort one out for my sister about her broadband. wont go into details but basically the company in question (homecall pipex) are a bunch of idiots and incompetent monkeys.

I have been told by them that I should just email it to them.

err which doesnt sound very official to me, i thought emails werent really strong standing in legal courts.

so if i post a letter to their customer care service, whom to I address it to?

else i reckon it gets chucked into the bin

like all the other bull crap they have been spewing for a while. I "like" how the bullsh**e stops when I have the time to speak to them on my sister's behalf, but the creativeness that they go to with my sister (non-technical background) is fascinating.

i dont work in IT but i know enough to spot blatant rubbish, bet IT peeps would have a right laugh at it. (my IT mate couldnt believe it)

·
YDs Most Southerly Monkey
6,434 Posts
Write the letter AND email them; if you put a read receipt request on the email, I'm pretty sure that enables you to demonstrate that it's legally "Served".

I'd reckon UK law on electronic correspondence would be similar to here and we have been advised by the State Archives Office that we are legally obliged to print off and file e-mails that are "of substance", so I'm pretty sure they would be admissible in law.

·
Registered
24,810 Posts
Emails are certainly acceptable in Employment Law, so it would be reasonable to assume that they would be acceptable in other areas. For sure a half decent barrister would be able to make the leap.

Make sure you keep a copy. The 'read receipt' is a sensible idea, but bear in mind that not all places respond to them. I don't, either through work or personal. So just because you don't have one doesn't mean it hasn't been sent.

I would also re-send the email every 7 days (along with variances of getting thier finger out) until they respond.

·
South African - and proud of it!
180 Posts
Best way to be certain - send the email by all means but do send the same document by good old fashioned snail-mail using recorded delivery to their registered address. The court will accept this as official service of a document. It then becomes their problem if no-one responds.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Don't mess about with customer service get on Companies House website and find out the name of the MD or Chairman. Call the office and ask for his address. Send the letter to him. Let him pass it to the correct department!

When MDs get involved things get fixed.

Did I ever mention I complained to BA about a flight? The letter went to Lord Clive Marshal of Knightbridge! Don't mess with the minions.......

·
180 Posts
Option 2 - find an element of their service that has clearly cost you money (like not getting something you paid for etc..) write to them giving them 7 days to fix it and when they don't, issue a claim in your local county court. Costs very little, the court staff are very helpful - you can even do it online. The case will stay at your local court and there's very little down-side in fees if you do it yourself. There's nothing like a county court notice to kick a company up the bum. You never know, they may ignore it and you can really go to town. If nothing else, it's a great deal of fun....

·
Registered
130 Posts
If it's anything like the company I work for, the Chairman's / MDs office will have a team of well trained minions who are experienced, know what they are on about and will resolve your issue quickly. If they don't then I would suggest going to someone who gives a toss about customer service!

Greg

·
Proud to be "small minded" in the face of credulit
2,910 Posts
If it's anything like the company I work for, the Chairman's / MDs office will have a team of well trained minions who are experienced, know what they are on about and will resolve your issue quickly.
Not an ISP, I take it?

I've JUST sorted a dispute with Tiscali that started last September. Their ineptitude was staggering, but now they've called their dogs off I've nobody to write to anymore.

If anybody on here gets to choose a service provider, I strongly recommend BeThere.

·
'we are here for a good time, not a long time'
781 Posts
For what its worth, recorded delivery isn't worth the extra money, Ive sent letters to the CSA & HM Revenue & Customs this way, were delivered, but both denied receiving them.

Now anything important goes Special Delivery, OK so a letter will cost £4.75, but you can get a copy of the signature, time and date of delivery.
It was amusing when Customs said "we have not received anything" so I told them who signed for the letter and at what time and date, they replied - OH.........!
Problem was soon resolved and the fine for not sending the forms back on time was soon "dropped"!!

HTH

·
180 Posts
Good point - it depends if you need to prove delivery to the recipient. Legally, recorded delivery is proof enough but if a company / bunch of mindless public servants (sorry, off on another rant there) feel they can lie and deny receipt, Special Delivery is the way to go.

Good luck - make 'em pay!

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
had a look through google, apparently other people have done so already and had no success. there were numerous letters and faxes to the CEO and MD.

but no luck, they have loads of websites and stuff with people complaining.

in short I have worked out

Customer services - have a separate database? = idiots, seriously

Tech support = decent people, who genuinely help out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.