YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I know some here are really into their motor sport but I dont get formula 1 and don't suppose I ever will.

Look at this weeks grand Prix.

First 4 on the grid
Alonso
Hamilton
Massa
Fisichella

Race finish order

Olonso
Hamilton
Massa
Fisichella

So, why bother driving round in circles for 78 laps. What a waste of time for everyone, not to mention the carbon footprint and the waste of fuel and cash in developing the cars. It seems like every race is won by the bloke who changes his tyres the quickest.

I reckon they should all set up a gaming forum and race on their X box 360's. It would be much more exciting because there would be some overtaking and much better crashes, no-one would get hurt and it would be better for the planet.

What the F£&K do people get out of watching 22 eejits drive round in circles for an hour and a half. What a total waste of time

·
East coast, think I dive there !
1,993 Posts
Well were all entitled to our opinion I suppose. If all you watch motor sports for is the crashes and overtaking may I suggest GP racing?

·
Underwater Geologist
195 Posts
What the F£&K do people get out of watching 22 eejits drive round in circles for an hour and a half.
It's a MAN thing!!!! Plus, how much of modern motor car development is a result of F1? At a guess I would say aerodynamics (thus better fuel economy), safety features (therefore fewer serious injuries), reliability (therefore fewer breakdowns) and greater efficiency (therefore less pollution and better fuel economy again).

There again I may be wrong; I'm no expert. As a postscript, I get more pleasure from watching F1 than watching golf, horse racing, snooker and darts. Everyone to his own - the off button or channel selector is always an option!

Paul

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's a MAN thing!!!! Plus, how much of modern motor car development is a result of F1? At a guess I would say aerodynamics (thus better fuel economy), safety features (therefore fewer serious injuries), reliability (therefore fewer breakdowns) and greater efficiency (therefore less pollution and better fuel economy again).

There again I may be wrong; I'm no expert. As a postscript, I get more pleasure from watching F1 than watching golf, horse racing, snooker and darts. Everyone to his own - the off button or channel selector is always an option!

Paul

Oh totally agree with the off button choice.

I watched the first lap and the last two. It is so predictable that you can switch off at 1302 and back on at 1420 and be 99.8% certain you missed nothin in between :)

Not keen on the other 'sports' you mention either

·
Banned
402 Posts
Oh I love it when eco nuts start off with the carbon footprint arguement.

O.k then, why bother going diving most people are diving on sites that have been dived many times before and photographed and written about before, why do other people need to bother going looking at the same thing?

You have to remember there are big carbon footprints associated with going diving, many hours spent on motorways, aeroplanes and then the engine on the boat, aswell as emmisions from a compressor! Atleast they can argue they are entertaining. What good can you argue you are doing for the world by going off diving??

There is a heck of a lot more to F1 than the guy who wins is the one that gets his tyres changed fastest.

22 eejits driving round for an hour. I think they could say worse about you and be right......pratt

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh I love it when eco nuts start off with the carbon footprint arguement.

O.k then, why bother going diving most people are diving on sites that have been dived many times before and photographed and written about before, why do other people need to bother going looking at the same thing?

You have to remember there are big carbon footprints associated with going diving, many hours spent on motorways, aeroplanes and then the engine on the boat, aswell as emmisions from a compressor! Atleast they can argue they are entertaining. What good can you argue you are doing for the world by going off diving??

There is a heck of a lot more to F1 than the guy who wins is the one that gets his tyres changed fastest.

22 eejits driving round for an hour. I think they could say worse about you and be right......pratt
Well if there is more to it please do tell..

Oh, and there is absolutely no need to be rude or personal.

·
diving member
1,996 Posts
What the F£&K do people get out of watching 22 eejits drive round in circles for an hour and a half. What a total waste of time[/quote]

wouldn't we be a boring bunch if we all like the same things - look at it that all those people are watching F1 instead of driving to the same dive site as you!

I always think that as I drive past various Sunday car boot markets as I'm driving to go diving - you sad baskets!!!!! fancy getting up at this time to park in a field !!!!!!!!!

live and let live!!!:teeth:

·
Nigel Hewitt
7,142 Posts
OK I know some here are really into their motor sport but I dont get formula 1 and don't suppose I ever will.
Careful. You could say the same about diving...

I can't really understand watching motorsport.
You have to do it.
Been there. Got the X-rays and the limp to prove it. Won nothing. Ever.

Similarly, much as I despise football, I have far more respect for a bunch of flabby guys exhausting themselves on the football field in the park on a Sunday morning in a pub league than any number of couch potatoes who know everything about world class soccer and yet know nothing.

·
1,993 Posts
Monaco is a very tight circuit were overtaking is pretty rare, it's all about team tactics and decision making, races can be won on tire choices and pit stops. Circuits like Montreal offer more overtaking opportunity's and Indianapolis give rise to reliability issues so no race is the same even though the top runners are so close in terms of performance, and it often comes down to driver knowledge.

Once Lewis Hamilton gets a bit more experience, and if what I think will happen with the Schumacher coming back next year then there should be a blistering contest. But then again if if he wins all the time people will have something else to moan about.

If F1 isn't for you just don't watch it, simple as that.

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
Hi.

Try speedway no guarantees of the way the race will end.

And cheaper to watch.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
wouldn't we be a boring bunch if we all like the same things - look at it that all those people are watching F1 instead of driving to the same dive site as you!

I always think that as I drive past various Sunday car boot markets as I'm driving to go diving - you sad baskets!!!!! fancy getting up at this time to park in a field !!!!!!!!!

live and let live!!!:teeth:
Absolutely agree with you.

Motorcycling racing - I understand the thrill and entertainment value.

Rallying, I kind of get that too, I've even gone and watched a couple of stages locally.

It's F1 I really dont get. I'm not having a pop at anyone who likes it, Just saying I think it's a pointless boring waste of time.

Most of my friends and family dont understand why I like UK diving..... They don't see the point.

·
iGeek therefore iTrek
3,253 Posts
F1? I absolutely love it.

I know to some it is probably boring, in fact my Mum has always said it would be a lot better if there was something going the other way but I find the whole thing absolutely fascinating. In fact I always have.

I find the technology and the sheer speed of the cars to be the best aspect of the sport, I know there is a LOT LESS overtaking than there was 10 years ago, but then Monaco has always been a slimline track, but the sheer joy of watching Hamilton slide the car around underneath him was worth a lot.

The developments passed on to standard cars are numerous. The most obvious one is traction control, followed by crash protection and braking technology. However I don't see the need for everyday cars to have front wings and rear diffusers...

Keep watching it though there will be plenty of good racing still to come. Either that or have a look at the Touring Cars.

·
1,993 Posts
Yep Ray, I was named after a Speedway rider, Ivan Mauger, the best Speedway rider of all time, although my Dad been the weirdo he is spelt it differently, never met another Ivon in my life. :)

·
Registered
24,810 Posts
I used to find F1 hugely entertaining. Then, over the period of a few years, things like rules and technology intervened to make it a very tactical sport, rather than a skill thing. that' when I switched off.

it was never (for me, anyway) about seeing who would be involved int he next serious crash - it was about whether a driver and his pit crew had the skills to win the race. Nowadays, it is won by tactics on the practice days, such as Monaco, who parks his car in the right place :D

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
Yep Ray, I was named after a Speedway rider, Ivan Mauger, the best Speedway rider of all time, although my Dad been the weirdo he is spelt it differently, never met another Ivon in my life. :)

I have but he was a tank engine!.....

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
Cheaky sod, that's Ivor!!
He He! sorry:embarassed: does sound as if you are unique, apart from the landlord of the Star Inn Kirkhamgate, him and his son are called Ivon.

·
1,993 Posts
He He! sorry:embarassed: does sound as if you are unique, apart from the landlord of the Star Inn Kirkhamgate, him and his son are called Ivon.
No, I don't believe it, it can't be true, it's impossible, I'm the only Ivon I tell you!!!

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
No, I don't believe it, it can't be true, it's impossible, I'm the only Ivon I tell you!!!
No your just ordinary like the rest of us.

1 - 20 of 117 Posts