1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

The owners of Fort William training centre (and also 990 mag) have gone bust

More details on DiverNet

That means there is now no UK commercial diver training school.

Adrian

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

And, it would appear, no small victory for Ron Mahoney and his new 'Beyond the Blue' mag!

·
To dive or not to dive - that's not even an option
2,998 Posts
Imported post

I can't remember the thread - but don't say I didn't point out 990s difficulties. Sad, but that's business.

James  

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>NO SCOTLAND TRIP for me now ,,,,

Sorry peter K ,  will haveto find a way of meeting up another way .........

ermmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I wonder how much it will be up for sale ,,,,,,

Andy

got coat and running to cash point to check me balance

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bren Tierney @ Jan. 05 2004,23:34)]And, it would appear, no small victory for Ron Mahoney and his new 'Beyond the Blue' mag!
Hmm

I don't think the closing of Fort William should be viewed as a victory for a magazine.

I realise it's easy to lay blame at mis-management of both mag and Fort William Bren, but it's likely they were run by different people.

Adrian

·
The King Of The Divan
1,848 Posts
Imported post

as a friend in the offshore industry put it last night.

Stenmar.... ah... people who ride horses in America....  carry guns and wear stetsons.... now, what is that word....?

Simon

·
Registered
163 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Adrian Kelland @ Jan. 05 2004,22:20)]The owners of Fort William training centre (and also 990 mag) have gone bust

Adrian
You mean that there is no UK commercial bell diving school. There are several still strongly functioning teaching surface demand and SCUBA.
Also I'll think that you'll find that Stenmar haven't gone bust - they've simply pulled out of that well known loss making set up at Fort William.

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Imported post

Yeeharr

Perhaps Fort William and Bovisand were secretly run by the same people.

·
GUE Tech and Cave Instructor
1,259 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Phill @ Jan. 06 2004,09:44)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
You mean that there is no UK commercial bell diving school. There are several still strongly functioning teaching surface demand and SCUBA.
Could you tell me where these are? Particularly any within striking distance of Cambridge.

Thanks
John

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Adrian Kelland @ Jan. 06 2004,09:02)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bren Tierney @ Jan. 05 2004,23:34)]And, it would appear, no small victory for Ron Mahoney and his new 'Beyond the Blue' mag!
Hmm

I don't think the closing of Fort William should be viewed as a victory for a magazine.

I realise it's easy to lay blame at mis-management of both mag and Fort William Bren, but it's likely they were run by different people.

Adrian
I'll PM ya Adrian. Best not discuss 'certain matters' on an open line!

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Phill @ Jan. 06 2004,09:44)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Adrian Kelland @ Jan. 05 2004,22:20)]The owners of Fort William training centre (and also 990 mag) have gone bust

Adrian
Also I'll think that you'll find that Stenmar haven't gone bust - they've simply pulled out of that well known loss making set up at Fort William.
Apologies on the bell diving confusion. Live and learn.

The article does say that Stenmar Group itself is in receivership working to become solvent, not just Fort William. I have not found any other info.

Adrian

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Adrian Kelland @ Jan. 06 2004,09:45)]Yeeharr

Perhaps Fort William and Bovisand were secretly run by the same people.
I doubt it Adrian,

Where Fort Bill is concerned, there have been no reports of crones selling peggs, placing hexes on passers-by for not purchasing same, a massive increase in fly-tipping, three-legged dogs fouling the area, or the lead going missing from church-roofs in the immediate and out-lying vacinity!  

Obviously I can't confirm this, one way or the other, but there may have been rumours that Bovisand was going to be renamed Pykiesand - if the TV show 'Diving School' was anything to go by?  

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bren Tierney @ Jan. 06 2004,12:38)]...the TV show 'Diving School' was anything to go by?  
Ah, the first comedy program specially written for Divers. Where all the ideas for 'The Office' came from.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

The local news was saying it's a company called "Underwater Adventures" that's gone tits-up. They are something to do with Stenmar, though not the commie diver training. Probably a side company to train Sport divers and sell tickets to dive at the centre.
Certainly they haven't said anything about Stenmar group going bust.

Peter

1 - 16 of 16 Posts