YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Man that's annoying.

I was so looking forward to this week. Missus away on a field trip to Spitzbergen so I was going to have a week of non stop diving, beer drinking and takeaway food.
Well one by one the dives have been cancelled due to work, drinking or in the last case, urethea infection (not mine) :-(

The viz is reportedly 20 meters all over. And increasing.

A whole week without water contact. I'm taking up single-diving.
(Well not really, but I'm almost there)

Well we're having a wreck-diving weekend in Narvik starting off early on Friday. Noone better cancel on me!

Grrr.

Kyrre
Harstad, Norway.

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Ouch, that is rough. Can't think of anything as bad as when you get so geared up for diving and eventually doing none

This month I havn't dived at all and conditions were great, there were 101 reasons but in the end I feel frustated and the kit is dry.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

It has been very windy here for more than a week but I did a nice shore dive at a sheltered site in our favourite fiord, about an hour and a half's drive north of Gothenburg, last Wednesday evening and it looks as though the wind is going to drop tonight, so I should be able to dive in the archipelago tomorrow evening. Our vis is still not good, though. It has been poor all summer. Still, it's a lot better than it usually is in the English Chanel  

I hope you have a good weekend in Narvik, Kyrre. I must go there some time.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (John Gulliver @ Aug. 27 2003,15:35)]I hope you have a good weekend in Narvik, Kyrre. I must go there some time.
<font color='#0000FF'>Come on up. It's only a 25 hour train-trip through what must be the world's most boring landscape.. until you enter Norway ;)

Actually I was thinking about going to Stockholm by train next weekend. Brilliant trip, brilliant city...

Kyrre

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

I was blown out today on the Shirala  

Dont know why the forcast was good but there you go.

Ho Hum

Mark Chase

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Norseman @ Aug. 27 2003,15:58)]Actually I was thinking about going to Stockholm by train next weekend. Brilliant trip, brilliant city...

Kyrre
Mmmm, not bad, but have you been to Gothenburg, the front side of Sweden?

·
Registered
575 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Hi Kyrre

As you are in Narvic diving this week-end could you find out if  
HMS Hardy is still a diveable wreck? not that I intend to dive it but just out of interest.
It was sunk around about 1940-41 I think.
Back in 59-60 I was in Narvic serving aboard the then modern HMS Hardy
and I remember some of our ships divers having a dip on the wreck.
It had a lot of history attached to it, as I remember death or glory mission under the German noses
The shore batteries could not depress there guns enough to be able to fire on the attacking ships.
Although Hardy was lost with most of its crew I think the mission was deemed a success.
Cheers for any info you can get.

Bob.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hey Bob.

Apparenly there's not much left of Hardy. I can imagine it was salvaged rather heavily after the war since it was in such shallow waters. It was run ashore on April 10th 1940 and thereafter Hardy slipped back and sunk just off the shoreline.

I'll have a chat with the others if there's anything left on the ship, but since it's not scheduled for a dive I can imagine there's nothing left to look at.

Regards,
Kyrre

·
Charter Boat Skipper, Salvage Diver & YBOD abuser
1,605 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Hiya Norseman,
Had a scan at the charts around your way- bit deep in places or what!
It seems like diveable wrecks are a bit thin on the ground!
Hope you get to enjoy your Wreckfest!
ATB,
Terry

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] (angleseydiver @ Aug. 28 2003,00:54)]Hiya Norseman,
Had a scan at the charts around your way- bit deep in places or what!
It seems like diveable wrecks are a bit thin on the ground!
Hope you get to enjoy your Wreckfest!
ATB,
Terry
Far from it as it happens.

Should be shallow enough
This here being Georg Thiele, a German destroyer.

We have quite a few shallow wrecks, at least wrecks that start off quite high up. This simply because quite a few of them were run aground before sinking.
Most of the wrecks in Narvik are above 28 meters. Have a look at this site here to see what you've got to choose between  

Narvik wreckdiving

Having said that it IS deep around here... good buoyancy control is essential.

Kyrre

·
Charter Boat Skipper, Salvage Diver & YBOD abuser
1,605 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>My mates got a vessel identical to Loyal Watcher.... Hmmmmmmmmm..... maybe.....
Mind you there's more than a lifetime of wreck-diving to do round here.... and we even get comparable Vis......about 6 times a year  

·
Registered
7 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mark Chase @ Aug. 27 2003,15:15)]I was blown out today on the Shirala  

Dont know why the forcast was good but there you go.

Ho Hum

Mark Chase
Thats the problem Mark!

The forecast was good but the actual weather was C****

Surf was up on East beach from 200 yards out and everyone on the earlier dive had to swim back to shore. Eclipse had to go to Chichester harbour to offload the dive gear in sheltered water.

Thats why the skipper called off the rest of the day.... looking at the beach later that evening the conditions had not altered..

Regards

1 - 13 of 13 Posts