YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

email your name address to [email protected] and they will send you there new Dive magazine "beyond the blue" (aimed at the serious diver). This will be sent to you FREE of charge. Not bad eh!

·
3,293 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Hi

Surely you only have to post this once rather then clutter every forum up mate

Andy

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Especially when the publishers cannot even be arsed to mention the new mag on their own website.

Any decent organisation would suggest that people could view a site and then choose to sign up for a taster copy of a mag.

Looking at the publisher's site one thinks that this enterprise could go down the same pan that 990 did.

I trust they won't take subs from all and sundry and then leave folk high and dry.

Also, looking at their rate card they're f*cked anyway if they want a sustainable business allied with any decent content.

SPAM ELSEWHERE

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Imported post

Gavin,

Calm down old chap - I agree with your sentiments about spamming but you're a little off the mark regarding the magazine.

I think that you'll find that 'Aztec' has nothing to do with the magazine itself, it was probably just a bit of 'I'll let everyone know the good news'.

Beyond the Blue only has a couple of things in common with 990 magazine:

1.  It's a quality publication aimed at a different market to Dive, Diver etc.

2.  The editor is again Ron Mahoney - a bloke who was ripped off by 990 magazine a damn sight more than any of us subscribers were incidently!

3.  A lot of the articles are written by the guys who submitted them for 990.

It differs in many ways, the biggest being that it doesn't need the readership to stay afloat due to the line being taken by the publishers.

Lets give the magazine a chance and see what it comes up with over the coming months.  

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

I have just received my copy and I paid for it

I was a bit concerned as I sent my £12 off ages ago. When it eventualy turned up I found it was prety good for a first edition and it obviously has the serious green water wreck diver in mind. I would recomend it to UK wreck divers who liked 990mag.

I am a bit shocked that any one is complaining about being notified about receiving a FREE copy
??? I wish they had spamed me before I sent my cheque off

Mark Chase

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mark Chase @ Dec. 20 2003,09:11)]I have just received my copy and I paid for it
Mark,

Unless things have changed from the original plan the issue that you have just got will still be free to you - your subscription won't actually start until the next issue comes out in around March.

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Angus @ Dec. 20 2003,10:06)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mark Chase @ Dec. 20 2003,09:11)]I have just received my copy and I paid for it
Mark,

Unless things have changed from the original plan the issue that you have just got will still be free to you - your subscription won't actually start until the next issue comes out in around March.
Nice one

Thanks for letting me know.

I have forwarded the details to a few of my non Diver Net non YD dive buddies who I think will be interested.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Angus,

Why don't British Caledonian make reference to the new mag on their site.

They are "web publishing experts" but don't mention the new publication.

The rate card is extremely low for this market so if they don't need readership or advertising revenue where's the money gonna come from.

I just don't wanna get ripped off again so I'd like to know more about British Caledonian first.

24 Deansgate Blackpool, an address they don't have on their site is situated next to a tatty computer systems shop that's gone out of business, they are not members of any publishing association that I can find and I'd be interested if they are printing an address on their debut issue.

This is not having a go at anyone but I wanna be sure I'll get my product if I subscribe.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Imported post

Gavin,

My only connection to the magazine is that the editor is a good mate.  I have that much faith in both Ron and the magazine that I would be willing to refund your money myself if you don't get a full subscription out of it.  

Advertising revenue is the money maker for Beyond the Blue believe it or not and this will more than cover the costs of the magazine, or so the experts tell me!

As for British Caledonian's premises etc I can't speak.  I know the two guys who run the business and I have seen other publications they produce but don't have the answers to your questions.  I do know that they are well established in the world of in-flight magazines etc.  I will make a phone call tomorrow and see if I can get some joy for you.

Beyond the Blue has it's own websiteBeyond the Blue but I'm not sure that it's up and running yet.

Sorry that I can't help more than that but I'll see what I can do.  

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Angus @ Dec. 22 2003,22:12)]Advertising revenue is the money maker for Beyond the Blue believe it or not and this will more than cover the costs of the magazine, or so the experts tell me!
<font color='#000F22'>Advertising revenue is dependent upon readership ... no readers then no-one wants to advertise.

I really hope that BTB is a long-term success and look forward to seeing the product.

I liked 990 but felt agrieved like many others about it's demise and lack of info.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Gavin Yates @ Dec. 22 2003,23:49)]Advertising revenue is dependent upon readership ... no readers then no-one wants to advertise.
Very true - but judging by the response from 'potential advertisers' at the Dive Show, the guys want to advertise with the magazine anyway due to the editors presence and the reputation he had from 990 magazine.  

·
1,773 Posts
I've been out of the loop on this but is Beyond the Blue still going?

Haven't heard about it in a while. I'd heard that it was quite good?

·
Dunno really........ thinking about it
1,585 Posts
Gavin,
Ron Mahoney was talking about the difficulties he'd been having and the plans for the future. This was on the Resurgam trip two weeks ago.
Maybe a PM to him would be useful and then if he'd post something too...

·
Registered
12,240 Posts

·
1,773 Posts
Thanks lads - I saw a copy the other day and it jogged the memory.

Hope Ron get's it sorted I'm sure their are people waiting with baited breath for the next edition.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Gavin Yates said:
Thanks lads - I saw a copy the other day and it jogged the memory.

Hope Ron get's it sorted I'm sure their are people waiting with baited breath for the next edition.
Baited breath and debited credit cards.... *cough*

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Mine arrived this morning. Lots of articles (more than before? Or have I just forgotten what the last one read like!)

Good stuff Ron, hope this is the shape of things to come. Oh, anmd if you want to take me on any of these trips I make a mean cup o'tea.

Digs.

·
1,773 Posts
Excellent Diggs,

I hope the new mag will be on a more even keel with regular distribution.

Well done Ron for keeping it together.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Thanks Fellas,

I think I waited less time for my third child than this mag - or was I getting good at it then ...!! Had three kids then bought a TV - that's a television before Angus starts the stories about Tailand - (who wet's the bed?? - just wait till you're CO's wife asks what I do - "I make Golden Shower movies")

I'll post something about the changes over the next few days, its about divers producing a mag for divers. For the time being just read and enjoy ... oh and Mr D - I hope you recover from your cough soon!

Ron

·
Registered
229 Posts
Ah sure, just an ole touch of hayfever the last few days ;)

I guess mine will arrive over the next week or so... me being in Ireland n all...

<edit>
But in all fairness well done. I can't wait to have a read. :kiss:
</edit>

1 - 20 of 20 Posts