YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
moving like a parallelogram
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just returned from filling mine and SWMBO's cylinder in preparation for the bank holiday at an undisclosed nottingham dive shop.

One of the cylinders had recently been tested by another undisclosed nottingham dive shop. When checking the test date the compressor operator says "We won't be able to take these for much longer without an proper IDEST test stamp".

He did fill it and claimed the other dive shop was not an affiliated test house.
He did also claim that he was uncertain where the law actually stands.

What's going on?????

·
PADI Internet Specialty Diver
10,679 Posts
Bullshit, that's what's going on...

IDEST have pretty much sewn up the UK testing market and are "approved". Testing must be by an approved body. However, its an EU wide regulation so there are other testing bodies outside the UK and someone other than IDEST may gain UK approval.

I have my tanks tested here - as its where I live after all :D - and they get filled OK in the UK. We don't have IDEST and our hydro test is prefix "R" (re-tested)

Chris

·
Beach-bum-Blonde Mafia ;o)
6,935 Posts
Hmmm, doesn't surprise me

Chris

Could you name names by PM please - although I can guess who they are (as a former resident of Nottingham - I'd love to know what politics is kicking off now :))

S

·
His Holeyness
2,198 Posts
I've just returned from filling mine and SWMBO's cylinder in preparation for the bank holiday at an undisclosed nottingham dive shop.

One of the cylinders had recently been tested by another undisclosed nottingham dive shop. When checking the test date the compressor operator says "We won't be able to take these for much longer without an proper IDEST test stamp".

He did fill it and claimed the other dive shop was not an affiliated test house.
He did also claim that he was uncertain where the law actually stands.

What's going on?????
You've got two dive shops in Nottingham :)

ColinM

·
Beach-bum-Blonde Mafia ;o)
6,935 Posts

ColinM
When I left (not so long ago ;)) we were awash with the buggers (can think of four off the top of my head), considering the distance from the sea :frown: - never mind the one's in the 'shire as well :rolleyes:.

·
Registered
4,526 Posts
Chris

Could you name names by PM please - although I can guess who they are (as a former resident of Nottingham - I'd love to know what politics is kicking off now :))

S
Same here please, as I rather take my business elsewhere than support squabbly politics! :angel:

·
All hail the mighty ZOM
26,851 Posts

ColinM

Nottingham Scuba Centre
Dive Barracuda
Dive Venture
First Stage

5 if you count Divequip (not a shop just training and servicing)

Teh regulations on cylinder testing are pretty clear. Testing now has to be carried out by an approved person. If you IDEST then you are automatically approved as IDEST's procedures meet the requirements. However you don't have to be IDEST- you can be inspected by anyone who has the necessary quals. In practice the HSE are apparently reviewing this as it's proving impossible to police.

·
I went DIR... but my bungies pulled me back!
400 Posts
IDEST is a funny thing. The testing regulations for cylinders (transportable pressure vessels) covers all cylinders, medical, fire extigushers, carbonated drinks aswell as scuba. Scuba cylinders have a different testing schedule to others but the requirement for testing by an approved tested is the same for all. IDEST claim that only they can do scuba cylinders, but there is no seperate requirement for an approved tester for scuba cylinders.

IDEST claim that a cylinder used for air gun charging must be tested to scuba standards even though it never goes into the water. So if IDEST can force non diving cylinders to be tested as diving cylinders why havn't they taken BOC to court, there must be loads of BOC O2 cylinders being used within the scuba industry but BOC only test them every 10 years?

Things that make you go Hummm

·
Proud to be "small minded" in the face of credulit
2,910 Posts
The Stoney simians pulled that one on me the last time I was there.

Fortunately it was three years ago.

Regards,

Mark

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Think its because they now need the test station number on the stamp as a minimum with one of those stickers on the neck being preferred.

·
GUE Instructor
9,260 Posts
LAst Time I was at Stoney they complained that the DIRZONE stickers I had on my cylinders were not recognised by them.

I asked which ones they prefer and they said "TDI". So in front of them I went through a box of stickers, going "TDI...TDI...TDI... Ahh here we are".

Slapped two of them on the cylinders in front of them and they filled them happily.

Bizarre world we live in.

·
The smell of freshly turned delrin is more powerfu
3,173 Posts
I got three tins needing test where is the best place to take them in sussex please :)

best = cheapest please

DAvid

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts
Nigel at Air Services in Brighton?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts