YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does/Has anybody here (women in particular) dive/dived a front entry neoprene drysuit? and how are they to dive?

Having been initially adamant that I was after an O'Three MtoM Ri 2-100 Flex DrySuit with front entry, I had a chat with the lovely Robin from O'Three and now I'm not so sure.

It seems that although a made to measure suit allows the addition of a front entry zip (at considerably higher cost to the shoulder entry), it will be suprisingly difficult to don the suit easily without assistance/discomfort, and additional length must be added to the suit.
Apparently it is also a less than comfortable experience having the zip pressed against your boob during the dive.

Is there anybody here who has chosen the front entry option on either this model or another neoprene suit.
I am particularly interested to hear about:
Suit flex/manouverability/any restriction reaching valves etc
Ease of donning and removing the suit
Whether the suit's cut and fit is affected by extra materiallength
Comfort, especially from female divers
Any other experiences with the suit

Thanks everyone
Nic

·
Mr potty mouth: Sweeping generalist...............
2,382 Posts
Wifie has that model suit in that config, loves it has never said anything bad about it and that extra length is needed to get to your valves anyhow....
I ended up getting one after being blown out and stuck near them at her persuasion.

Unless you have some slightly large or delicate bits (e.g. they contain some non-insurable silicon sacks :( ) I would suspect they would be fine for most people. :)

It's a large expense for the option, Robin tried to talk her out of it for similar reasons.

PS. If your nice she would happily chat to you...
PPS. That length ends up as a kind of 'ball room' space down below, not an issue but it's like wearing mens cut jeans ;)

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I've got the Ri 2-100 front entry (non-flex version). It's an XL made to fit rather than made to measure.

I find it perfectly flexible, no problem reaching valves. There is a technique to putting it on, but that can be picked up within 2 or 3 tries.

The the inflator valve is slightly higher and over to the right compared to back loaders. It took 5 or 6 dives for the muscle memory to go to the correct spot. No issue really.

As it's made to fit, I can't comment on the cut. Mine is baggy around the waist, but I needed the XL for the shoulder width.

Compared to my previous MSF500, it's extremely comfortable, and I don't feel at all restricted in.

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
Tufty has the front zip Ri2-100. He doesn't appear to have any issues with it.

I listened to O3 and got the rear zip but they built some slack in to allow or shutdowns. I think I'd insist on the front entry if I were buying again purely for the convenience of not having to ask people to zip/unzip me

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
I was talked out of getting a front entry neo suit as I am plus size and short and for having a zip long enough for me to get through would mean it starting half way down my back and ending halfway round my arse.

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
I have a DUI front entry neo. I could understand if you were particularly short regarding the fit of the suit, but otherwise once undersuit and everything is underneath it, I don't see a big problem with the zip lying across your front.

It certainly doesn't bother my moobs at all, and looking around the average male UK diver I doubt it is affecting them either.

I wouldn't go back to a rear entry suit now. It is a totally different level of flexibility and convenience.

The only girl I know with a front entry suit has a zip which is angled much more than mine - my zip runs from my right collar bone to my left hip, hers runs from behind her right shoulder around and to the outside of her left hip, which is a much shorter distance vertically, but the zips are about the same length.

I know a couple of girls with membrane front entry suits, and they seem to have no issue at all with them. It seems to help in many cases, allowing the front of the suit to go out over boobs instead of a flat piece of material having to allow for them, if you know what I mean.

Digs.

·
the kind of human wreckage that you love
11,983 Posts
That's my suit and I love it :love:

The only thing about it that was different from my membrane front zipped drysuit is that, for some reason, the angle of the zip means that it is a bit more difficult to get the right arm in and out but I have got used to it and can manage quite well now.

My O Three also has the inflate valve off centre to the right which also takes a bit of getting used to but I feed from the right anyway so it's no great issue, just a bit annoying as it is now amongst my right reg, D ring and contents.

I find it flexible, comfortable and have not had any 'boob' pressing problem, but then I have plenty in that area.

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
I've got a front entry O-Three Ri2/100 Custom - you can see it on my profile pic.

I really like it and I've found that I prefer front entry suits. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing against the rear entry it is just my personal preference.

I find getting it on/off a doddle and it is very flexible, making shut-downs quite easy (but they should be no problem in a rear entry suit).

The only down side to it is that it costs more than a rear entry zip to replace if it ever goes.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I had a O3 lycra with front zip which as a brilliant suit, probably a little bit more awkard to get in and out of than my current SeaSkin but not a major hassle. It wasn't particularly loose in the body but was cut well and fine for doing shutdowns etc.

Tony

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you everyone for your helpful replies

Helen and Petlowe I have PMd you both

Digger
Membrane suits are a different kettle of cake as they naturally have more room. The neoprene is a much snugger fit.
Is this lady tall and athletic? I’m only 5’4” and a size 16 so I would expect some zip wraparound.
As long as:
a) I can reach the zip (no point having a front entry if I have to get someone to pull the damn zipper over my shoulder)
b) I don’t stress the zip each time I don and doff the suit then I don’t foresee a problem (if I’m wrong however it will be rather costly). Having to learn a slightly different and potentially awkward way of donning the suit is still in my mind vastly superior to not being able to get dressed independently... which I’ve been doing fine for years
If your moobs are fine, then I’m sure that my boobs will be.

Bobdob
The repositioning of the inflator valve doesn’t overly concern me as I don’t use it a great deal anyhoo... like you said, 5 or 6 dives and muscle memory knows where it is.

Letz
I feed from the right too, so the placement sounds fine; do you use a slightly shorter hose to cater for its shifted position? I hadn’t considered the clutter situation at all. During the fitting I imagine it is advisable to try the suit on in full rig... but by then my zipper decision will already be final...

The Duck
That is a damn fine suit. If only I could have mine in black and yellow (or a USIA drysuit colour combination). I look forward to seeing a sun faded photo of your pink and grey suit in 10 years time. Looks like I will end up with black and grey (boring) but... not completely black, not so prone to sun fading, and not the girly purple option. The cost of the zip... well unless I’m unnaturally straining it to get in the suit... it should last pretty well.

Mrs Calamity
I have been dressing myself since I was 3 or 4, I see no reason for that to change now. I like to feel (and be) independent and part of that is putting on my dive gear without assistance. I am not headed towards solo diving but there is no reason why I shouldn’t be able to don and doff all my kit without help. There is no chance of me somehow entering the water with the zipper open. Perceived ease of reaching valves...which of course should be achievable in any correctly fitted suit and undersuit. Should the question really be why do I want front entry AND the 2-100 when front entry is so much easier in a membrane?

Nic

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
my recent experiances with a front entry membrane (a fat git sized one) are

i find reaching the zip when open a sod. but im very inflexible.
i need to "tuck in" the belly before zipping

BUT i ambroad shouldered and feel that if it was more to the outaide of the shoulder it would be ok

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
The Duck
That is a damn fine suit. If only I could have mine in black and yellow (or a USIA drysuit colour combination).
if you're going for the custom suit then you can specify whatever colour you want. Or at least you were able to when I bought mine

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
if you're going for the custom suit then you can specify whatever colour you want. Or at least you were able to when I bought mine
Black, Grey, Blue, DarkBlue, Red, Purple. I believe those were all the options. I'm having some swatches posted out

Nic

P.S.

Does anyone use this with a pee valve, She-P anyone?
I don't foresee lasting very long without one, but there's only so many new bits of kit I can get used to in one go.

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
Black, Grey, Blue, DarkBlue, Red, Purple. I believe those were all the options. I'm having some swatches posted out

Nic

P.S.

I don't foresee lasting very long without one, but there's only so many new bits of kit I can get used to in one go.
Ahh.,....I just wanted all black for mine but at the time they had blue & black so I went custom with black.

I would get the Pee Valve fitted anyway but you don't have to plumb it in. I tend to plumb mine in only when I know the boat is going out all day. Not used a She P but then I don't have the right equipment for that anyway :D

·
2,382 Posts

Nic

P.S.

Zoe got hers esp for the ability to tinkle off the back of the boat or not to have to take the entire suit down just to risk flooding your own neckseal.....

·
Buzz
617 Posts
There is no chance of me somehow entering the water with the zipper open.

Nic
Watch out for this. I have twice had a cold shock from not having the zip done up. Both times from front loading suits. The reason was not snugging down the zip the last inch. You'd think I'd have learnt by now!

·
2,382 Posts
Watch out for this. I have twice had a cold shock from not having the zip done up. Both times from front loading suits. The reason was not snugging down the zip the last inch. You'd think I'd have learnt by now!
I found the DUI worse for this cause the zip goes up which means it's harder to validate the last inch, with the O3 it goes down which means you can jam a finger in to be sure...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.