YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Retired
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im after a membrane suit, must be front opening. Ive had my eye on one on ebay which appears pretty good value an Otter skin which going by the otter sizing chart is going to fit me.

Ive only used neoprene suits before so am after recommendations as which type/brand to go for, can I use layers ie helly hansons, pbb instead of one of those big undersuits and approx how much bouyancy change am i likely to see.

Cant quite afford mtm just yet but want to get a decent suit soon so as im comfortable in it by October.

Cheers

·
Dedicated Lurker
934 Posts
My last drysuit was a rear entry otter skin and my latest drysuit is an Otter britannic, front entry.

In winter diving in quarries, I wear a weezle extreme undersuit and two pairs of thin thermals.

In summer I wear just the weezle extreme.

I dive with a 300bar twin 7's and don't need any weights at all in freshwater and just need the additiion of 4lbs for the second dive in the sea.

I love my front entry drysuit.

Hope this may be of some help.

Lyv

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
The most important thing is fit. Make sure that you check that you have a full raneg of movement in it with a good (warm) baselayer. If you are not able to move fully (check the seam under the arms in particular) then don't buy it - however cheap it is.

In a membrane suit you need arctics as an absolute minimum (and I personally would freeze in these) . Best to check that you have room for a thick thinsulate undersuit in case you need it later on.

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
and there is a protec explorer that would fit you for sale, never been wet for 425 in the personal ads section...

I know because I fancied it but I would need to lob a few inches off my legs to make it fit..

·
Retired
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
and there is a protec explorer that would fit you for sale, never been wet for 425 in the personal ads section...

I know because I fancied it but I would need to lob a few inches off my legs to make it fit..

You calling me short:angry:

·
Team Erectus Domini Co-Founder
400 Posts
Does it have to be mtm? When i first bought my suit I thought I wanted to get mtm but looking at the prices I went for an off the peg Typhoon, and having got it on and in the water, it really could have been made to measure anyway!

·
Retired
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Does it have to be mtm? When i first bought my suit I thought I wanted to get mtm but looking at the prices I went for an off the peg Typhoon, and having got it on and in the water, it really could have been made to measure anyway!
I phoned divers warehouse and a Otter brittanic arrived thursday morning, dived it that evening and fits like a peach, which is odd as im 5'10 but only have short legs :embarassed: Will buy an artic top to go over my pbb understuff and should be warm enough. I dont like the big undersuits as i feel restricted around my shoulders.

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Gareth, sorry I appreciate you might already have bought this.

Just one thing to think about, does the suit have the heavy otter boots. These are one of the main reasons I am looking at buying a new suit, although in the meantime I am considering going up to Otter to see if the boots can be changed.

I now find the boots leave no movement in the ankle.

I have an Otter Skin and only use an Arctic top over a 4thE base layer

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
Changing the boots shouldn't be a problem Fiona.

Own up, the real reason you're thinking of a new suit is that yours doesn't have 'DUI' written on it ;)

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Tom do you really think I am so shallow :(

Honestly the boots are the real reason, just haven't had the opportunity to go up and see them - Actually that isn't true I have all the time in the world.

OK might go up today :)

·
Retired
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Gareth, sorry I appreciate you might already have bought this.

Just one thing to think about, does the suit have the heavy otter boots. These are one of the main reasons I am looking at buying a new suit, although in the meantime I am considering going up to Otter to see if the boots can be changed.

I now find the boots leave no movement in the ankle.

I have an Otter Skin and only use an Arctic top over a 4thE base layer
Fiona,

It came with the standard neoprene lined boots, they are probably slightly heavier than the ones on my ND divemaster ones but are warm even with a pair of thin socks on.

Which is probably no use what so ever to you. :teeth:

·
Retired
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Tom do you really think I am so shallow :(

Honestly the boots are the real reason, just haven't had the opportunity to go up and see them - Actually that isn't true I have all the time in the world.

OK might go up today :)
Is that due to the amount of time spent on here or in divelife ??????

·
Team Erectus Domini Co-Founder
400 Posts
I phoned divers warehouse and a Otter brittanic arrived thursday morning, dived it that evening and fits like a peach, which is odd as im 5'10 but only have short legs :embarassed: Will buy an artic top to go over my pbb understuff and should be warm enough. I dont like the big undersuits as i feel restricted around my shoulders.
Glad it fits well for you, have to admit to one day wanting mtm myself but for now off the peg fits me absolutely fine. Your not the only one to dislike the big undersuits, my regular buddy and I have regular discussions about who is right, him with his exotherm arctics or me with the weezle extreme plus. At the end of the day he wont le me try his (i'll stretch it) so I wont let him try mine, but is still the personal preference we all seem to get back saying time and time again.

Stick to what you like and is working for you,

John

·
Frightened of the dark!!!
346 Posts
"Gareth, sorry I appreciate you might already have bought this.

Just one thing to think about, does the suit have the heavy otter boots. These are one of the main reasons I am looking at buying a new suit, although in the meantime I am considering going up to Otter to see if the boots can be changed."

SEE BELOW

Fiona, just for your info the heavy duty rubber welly type boot, which otter use ( the ones with a heel ) are becoming rare as Rocking Horse poo.

I have been told by two drysuit manufactureres(including Otter ) that the one and only company that make and supply them have gone into recievership. Allegedly. Thats why all suits seem to be coming with neoprene lined rubber dipped boots.
Timb

·
"Three sheds"
12,688 Posts
I just had a fitting on my Polar Bear front entry membrane suit and I'm very excited. It's very, very flexible, depsite me choosing their heavy-weight material. I'm going for the sock and overboot option.

Also, I believe that Otter are now offering a sock option on some of their suits. Fiona: it might be worth discussing that with them.

Janos

1 - 20 of 21 Posts