YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

Front or side?

2K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  abucksdiver 
#1 ·
Imported post

Now, i'm still faffing around over this 6 months after I bought the flippin' things but I really need to bite the bullet before next weekend.

Tis a simple little question so it shouldn't cause too much contention (unfortunately!).   I already have John Guliiver's opinion but it is irreversible so I don't want to go the wrong way.

The *BIG* quessie is

- drysuit thigh pockets, front or side???

Now DIR go side to reduce drag (I would need a very special bra for that to have any bearing on my streamlining!!)
, John recommends front for ease of access (sounds sensible to me).

What do you all think?

Maybe I should have gone with a new-fangled poll-thingy!

Cheers

Lou

See less See more
#3 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Lou,

Throw your kit on and try it in both places,  even if it means getting someone to hold it in place.  

The only problem I can foresee is that I find it slightly easier to get at my pocket if it is on the side,  but if I want to have a good look at everything to unclip something it is easier at the front.  So it might be a comprimise depending on what you are going to keep in it.

I have everything clipped to a loop of bungee (bungee attached to inside of pocket) and I can pull the whole lot out to unclip what I need (Not my idea,  I think I nicked it from a DIR site).

Daz

#4 ·
Imported post

I find side easiest. When was the last time you saw trousers with cargo pockets at the front instead of side?

I do like Daz, and thread bungee across the top - the only thing I use that I can honestly say I've not encountered anywhere but a DIR site..

#6 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dominic @ Mar. 10 2003,16:54)]I find side easiest. When was the last time you saw trousers with cargo pockets at the front instead of side?
Last time I bought a flightsuit...
  Very handy if you are flying something with a cockpit and seats, but an annoyance otherwise.  Pockets at the side is probably the way to go.

#8 ·
Imported post

Lou

If you think that you'll quite often get hauled up and onto a Rib then the side position would be best for you as you'll soon know if your pockets are full of reels or other hard objects as some hairy arse diver drags you into the boat.. if you think that you might carry stages in the future I'm told that it's easier to reach pockets on the front of the thighs..

But anyway.. I thought you girls would just be carrying a handbag....

Dave runs for cover.......

#9 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Lou @ Mar. 11 2003,15:37)]Now DIR go side to reduce drag (I would need a very special bra for that to have any bearing on my streamlining!!)
, John recommends front for ease of access (sounds sensible to me).
Now this depends on what exactly you are talking about, front for easy access...
Oh sorry, you we talking about dry suit pockets. I `d say front.

#11 ·
Imported post

Hi Lou,
I have 2 at the front and have not had any problems, but I used to have a cargo side pocket and found that not so easy to get into.

safe diving,
Steve.

#13 ·
Imported post

Ah-hah!

So it wasn't that simple a question after all....

The point that Davey brought up about Ribs is exactly what I was concerned about having the pockets on the front.

Reaching the pockets at the side was my other concern!  

Ho-hum.  

I guess I have to get dressed up and see just how bad reaching it on the side will be - I get enough bruises getting dragged into RIbs as it is.

Cheers all

Lou

#14 ·
Imported post

Bear in mind, you usually don't need to get stuff out of the pockets during a dive, so it doesn't have to be massively convenient, just readily available.
E.g. in mine I have: Backup mask; backup dSMB; backup reel; backup shears; emergency slate; chemical glowstick
So far, I've not actually had to take anything out of a pocket anywhere but in rehearsals.
(And when I get the time, I'll put my backplate storage pack together, and the backup dSMB & slate won't be in the suit pockets anymore!)

#15 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I guess the other consideration is the rest of your kit.  I suspect side access is less of a problem with a wing configuration and no weight belt, than say a normal BCD and weight belt.

I guess just see what works.  Using the loop of bungee will help regardless as you can pull the whole contents out of the pocket and move the contents to a more accessable place that you can see.

Daz

#16 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Daz

How did you attach the bungee to the inside of your pockets,

i've just bought an Otter Brittanic with two front pockets and i like the bungee idea

cheers

Paul

#19 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Well bugger me (Not an invitation...)  Purely coincidental I did not even realise it was your site.  But having browsed your my kit section and picked up some useful tips it just happened to be bookmarked.

Well worth a browse..

Daz (Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks...)

#20 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I apologise for not consulting the Oracle (dom's site)

before posting, I'm not sure i can bring myself to put a soldering iron through my brand new suit, i just hope it has d rings in the pockets!

Thinking about it could i just buy some D-rings and webbing and then glue them into the pockets?

Paul

#21 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Hi, Lou,
When I got my new drybag, I got some stick-on pockets. Got Mrs abucksdiver to sew a "D" ring in, and then stuck it on the Side (a la DIR...)
I made sure that the bottom of the pocket is where my fingertips are when I rest my arms at my sides....
As previously mentioned, I rarely have to get stuff out of the pocket whilst actually diving (but it is a handy place to keep my camera out of the way...)

abucksdiver

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.