YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
aka Rich.
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

I'm in the process of buying a full set of kit for diving in the UK. I'm probably going to be looking at around £1200 - £1500 for the stuff I've picked out.

I emailed a number of online Scuba stores asking what discount they'd offer if I bought all the gear from them. I was a bit surprised by the response :-

Robin Hood Watersports - Politely referred me to their website prices.

Divers Warehouse - No reply after a week.

Go-Dive (aka www.divebox.co.uk) - Sent me an email saying all prices are on the website let us know when your ready to buy and then we'll talk discount. The tone of the email was very much "don't waste our time".

I'm new to buying scuba gear, but if I was spending this much money on any other products I'd expect to get some kind of discount for buying all at one store.

Am I say the wrong things ? using the wrong approach ? are prices so cheap Online that you can't get any further discount ? Any advice would be much appreciated.

·
Gone...and probably best forgotten
1,403 Posts
Imported post

my advice?  call me and we'll go together to the stores you mentioned and see what we can haggle.  I have a very good relationship with roho and divers warehouse.

07779 834829

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Andy,

A closer relationship with the shops than you have with your SMB, then?

(Couldn't resist it! - Good day's diving, thanks again).

Mark.

·
Gone...and probably best forgotten
1,403 Posts
Imported post

a good smb is like a boomerang.  no matter how you try to lose it it always comes back!!

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

Richard

You can ask for a discount, and I would expect one, but as with most things you have to close to a purchase to get it.  They won't waste their time giving you a price for you to take elsewhere unless they think they have a good chance of you buying it.  if you are going for a full set, i would go in person to a shop as Andy suggests, and haggle face-to-face.  Online buying is great when you know what you want, and can shop around listed prices, but for extra discount you can't beat that cash/card in hand "i want to buy know, what you gonna do me" approach.

Hope you get a bargain!

Lou

·
A Big Member
132 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Richard

I don't know where you're based but in SDS Sheffield recently i kitted my girlfriend out for the Red Sea. We got computer, BCD, regs, camera plus other bits, we got a really good discount (without even asking) and the guy who served us gave us his undivided attention for at least an hour plus made us a cuppa while we waited for the regs to be put together!

Paul

·
hmmm.. open circuit revisited...
760 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#008080'>Richard,

- Compile your list of equipment with the best price you can find on the web for each item. Sum it all up and put list into pocket.
-  go to your local shop and select all the stuff you want to buy.
- ask for a price and haggle if the cost is way over the sum on your list.
- Most shops offer 'price matching' but won't want to put in writing what actual discounts they are prepared to offer.

The better known you are to a shop the better the prices tend to be. Some clubs have arrangements with shops that offer 10% disconts to new divers, but it's always worth haggling.

Good Luck

A.

·
That's Members Representative to you!
2,416 Posts
Imported post

Bought all my gear from SDS, not the cheapest, but service is excellent. So good i'm prepared to pay a *few* quid more.

Going to Go Dive tomorrow - will see how they compare and report back.

I think all dive shops are a bit slow to reply to emails - had the same trouble - as Lou said, it would appear they need to see your serious...

I spent two hours in SDS trying suits and equipment, cup of tea provided. I walked out without spending a penny. Thought it over and went back week later and handed them £1600 (in exchange for gear of course!).

·
Registered
224 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>richarddbarker

are you new to diving? or new to uk diving?

if you compile your list here some of the experianced uk divers may be able to advise you on what you are purchasing

·
Registered
202 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>take andy up on his offer and speak to Brett at divers warehouse, as long as your paying with folding and not plastique you should cut yersel a deal.

hth

nitrox

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Lou @ Aug. 07 2003,12:24)]Richard

You can ask for a discount, and I would expect one, but as with most things you have to close to a purchase to get it.  They won't waste their time giving you a price for you to take elsewhere unless they think they have a good chance of you buying it.  if you are going for a full set, i would go in person to a shop as Andy suggests, and haggle face-to-face.  Online buying is great when you know what you want, and can shop around listed prices, but for extra discount you can't beat that cash/card in hand "i want to buy know, what you gonna do me" approach.

Hope you get a bargain!

Lou
<font color='#0000FF'>Agree with you tottally there Lou. For discounts it is much better to be face to face.
As for on-line shopping they are good if you know what you want to buy. I'm actually really annoyed with Simply Scuba as I just spent £450, the order is two weeks late and when I opened 'Diver' today they are advertising 10% discount on all products! I'll complain and see if I get my £45 worth.
As for diving, it is too hot to dive, its reached 41ºc and honestly I'll cook in the wet suit before I'll hit the water -I'm going to sleep in my bath tonight.....

·
aka Rich.
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Imported post

All,

Thanks for all the advice guys.

I went to Divers Warehouse last night, my first intentions was just to check things out. I was pretty confident I wanted an Otter Drysuit anyway so I thought this was a good place to start.

I did have my list of equipment as suggested and I talked through it with one of their staff - JJ. He really knew his stuff and found me a drysuit off the peg. He suggested I get rear entry as I'm not the tallest guy and the front zip would have been a problem. An Otter skin with all the kit (undersuit, socks, hood, hose, shoulder dump) advertised store price £520. I managed to get one with their heavy duty heeled boots fitted too. These are much better than the flat style.

One point to note is that their factory is closed for two week summer holiday. I'll have to pop back to get braces fitted.

He also helped me decide on Regs, BCD and Fins. I'd picked out some quite expensive kit initially but he explained the advantages/disadvantages of other kit (including explaining what kit he used) and he saved me wasting about £100 on upgrades I didn't really need.

He did indeed knock a bit off for buying all the kit together, although I paid plastic rather than crinkles. Felt safer putting it all on the card.

I felt a bit shell shocked after blowing £1000+, but after unpacking the car at home I could see I'd got myself some excellent gear at a price I was happy with.

JJ constantly reassured me that if I didn't like anything I'd bought I could give them a call and they'd get it sorted out for me.

Andy2tanx's thanks for offering to bob down to the shop with me. If the staff hadn't been so helpful I'm sure I'd have needed a bit more guidance.

·
iGeek therefore iTrek
3,253 Posts
Imported post

Hi Mary.

A friend of mine has who says it's quite large, although I doubt I ever will but that's another story.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts