YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

I know they exist - neoprene hoods that instead of having one big hole for your face to go through have a small hole for your mask and a smaller hole for your DV, and everything else is covered by neoprene.

Anyone know where they're available from? Ever tried them and got feedback on them?

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Imported post

Don't know myself but I believe I would like one - my hood needs a bit more material to seat the FFM easily. OK before anyone else says it I should have a smaller head.

I have even tried a latex hood with a little material hood piece underneath so you can equalize the pressure in your ears - can't get the bloody thing on with having a hernia.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

I have one of these. The Swedish company Waterproof (the people that make dry and wetsuits) http:www.waterproof.se make them. They call them ice hoods. They are made of 3 mm neoprene and intended for wearing over an ordinary hood under exceptionally cold winter conditions. I've never used mine. I keep meaning to try it but have never got round to it. The hole for the reg mouthpiece is very small. I think I would need to cutt it bigger.

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mary @ Aug. 20 2003,17:06)]does it not feel somewhat gimp like?
Now theres an idea,

Dom, give ebay a try, specifically some of those people selling Avon rubber drysuits...  They might have a mask as well...

Daz

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Dom, give ebay a try, specifically some of those people selling Avon rubber drysuits...  
Watch what you're saying, I sold an Avon suit on ebay not so long ago!

I think I'll compromise on getting some neoprene and adapting an old mask - probably easier, and only costs a fiver..

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dominic @ Aug. 21 2003,08:17)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Dom, give ebay a try, specifically some of those people selling Avon rubber drysuits...  
Watch what you're saying, I sold an Avon suit on ebay not so long ago!

I'm saying no more on that subject....

You could always get 2 hoods and put one on back to front,  (A few strategically placed holes might be an idea  
)

Daz

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Imported post

I've made myself one - adapted my Otter hood.

Am a bit concerned about its use with a long hose, so will have to try it in the pool b4 going into open water, but if it works, I will be able to go into cold water with absolutely no skin exposed to the water

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Imported post

think I'll have to give that one a miss, just a little claustrophobic for me, anyway if the waters that cold there is a far warmer place to be

the pub!

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

If that's your attitude, you'd spend about 4 months of your life every year in the pub without any diving here. It doesn't bear thinking about  

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (John Gulliver @ Aug. 25 2003,12:06)]If that's your attitude, you'd spend about 4 months of your life every year in the pub
<font color='#000080'>Well yes ... and your point is ... ?

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dominic @ Aug. 24 2003,21:59)]I will be able to go into cold water with absolutely no skin exposed to the water
Just get yourself a FFM. I don't know how many times I have to tell people how much I like mine (now) and how everyone should try one and how upset I'd be if everyone had one (sad git that I am).

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Imported post

Nah - the pros don't outweight the cons. I'll stick with neoprene

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mark Davies @ Aug. 25 2003,13:34)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (John Gulliver @ Aug. 25 2003,12:06)]If that's your attitude, you'd spend about 4 months of your life every year in the pub
Well yes ... and your point is ... ?
You forgot the bit about "without any diving".  

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>If you want to cut the bit for the reg bigger get one of the mouthpieces from Aqualung that cover the lips to. It makes changing the reg easier.

Michael

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Imported post

Tried it in the pool last night - odd looks aside, it was fine, tho a tad warm.

In the event of a long-hose deployment, I have the choice of either fiddling around trying to get my backup through the hole fast enough, or saying "the hell with it" and pulling the face-covering bit down out of the way until I've had a few good breaths..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts