YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to purchase a full-face mask. I could do with as comprehensive a list as possible of what is available in the marketplace and any experience or comments

ideally the mask should allow for an OOG situation to be handled without bailing out to a half-mask, either by using a switchblock to a redundant aur source or by being able to exchange the attached reg for a secondary without removing the mask

tia

·
an unconstructed man
292 Posts
i have a interspiro divator mk 2 with the snorkell valve fitted for sale if your interested mate

·
Registered
288 Posts
Interspiro AGA will do what you need.

dived regularly with a switch block, and some come with the snorkel valve, although thats only really of use on the surface.

i've said it before, and i'll say it again - if you are going to dive FFM, make sure you practice bailing to half mask

·
Registered
19 Posts
Aga has to rate as the best FFM, that's why their used by rescue services all over the world. I used to teach Ocean Reef FFM courses and can say that their mask isn't at all bad, however I don't know what switching gear they have available for it. And as Big Pimp says, practice bailouts to a half mask 'cos U never know what's gonner happen!

·
Supporting Sea Shepherd
1,446 Posts
I used an ocean reef Neptune for a while it was great, really comfy, good vision and has a port for plumbing in a second reg, it has a built in second stage which breathes well and can be hooked up to most 1st stages.

·
Jesus don't want me for a sunbeam
13,407 Posts
I had an old Mk1 Divator which I liked, never used the newer ones though. Really well made bits of kit. I've used Kirby Morgan band masks in the past but total overkill, though they are really nice.

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
There have quite a few lengthy threads on this in the past which were very imformative and with some posts from people who probably aren't on YD anymore (?) so please don't think of this as a "been done before / look it up" type of reply.

I used the Ocean Reef (OR) over many dives (mostly on charter boats). Deepest was 60 mtrs & I did use a switching block for 2 mix dives and was about to look into 3 mix switching before I stopped diving. It was able to handle the rigours of RIB diving admirably. I have never used any of the other types of mask but wold have no compunction about recommending the OR. You must realise that if you bail out you loose gas and vision at the same time so need to carry a back up ½ mask and you need to practise. Adding gas switches complicates hose routing (if you use the same method I did) and you need to do lots of pool practise (IMO) until you are happy you know where everything is and what to do if it goes wrong. Also, kitting was a PITA for me. You def should get the survace breathing valve fitted to whichever mask you go for.

http://www.yorkshire-divers.com/forums/other-dive-equipment/36143-ive-got-one.html

http://www.yorkshire-divers.com/forums/tek-talk/45983-trimix-ffms-switches.html

1 - 7 of 7 Posts