YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
"hardly ever here"
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>there seem to have been a few spats on YD recently, and everyone's going completely mad a few threads below

i wonder if the full moon is affecting people?!  

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I dread working night shifts on a full moon. I'm sure there's no scientific theory to back it up but there's absolutely no doubt in my mind that it brings out all the muppets. Every time it's ten hours of non-stop bedlam!

Friday 13th coming up as well - same thing!

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>yep, it is true.  Most animals are affected by the moon.  There is significant evidence of increases in hospital admissions in correlation with the moon being full.

I however, am just mad all the time....

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

There's certainly a lunatic loose on Divernet's Diver forum just now.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

For those who haven't done a lot of biology, you might be surprised to know just how many animals are finely tuned into the lunar cycles, and with marine animals the tidal cycles, which are obviously related.

Probably the most striking example of this is the Samoan Palolo Worm Eunice viridis see pic.
This simple creature tracks the lunar and tidal cycles with extreme precision and synchronised spawning of the worms (much anticipated by the islanders as a valuable food source) is accurate to within one day and occurs at precisely the same time of day (or rather night) which is (IIRC), high tide at the first full moon of the third lunar quarter. The date of this full moon varies between the first week of October and the last week of November, but the worms always get it right, not bad for a creature with a brain the size of a large drop of water eh?

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Why is it then, that a DO who has a degree, a tide table, access to the internet and loads of people to check with, can STILL manage to miss slack water on a wreck, or misjudge the tide so we miss dives etc etc?

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Why is it then, that a DO who has a degree, a tide table, access to the internet and loads of people to check with, can STILL manage to miss slack water on a wreck, or misjudge the tide so we miss dives etc etc?
There is only one D/O thats worth his weight in Gold and thats Paul Oliver ( and he isn't even my D/O ). There are lots of D/O's that they think can walk on water, know it all, a dive god.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]a DO who has a degree
 I have 360 of them,in NEWS.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]a tide table
is a set of tables , that over the years have worked out ROUGHLY when high water & low occurs in any given day. TIDES are a prediction,

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] loads of people to check with,
cos his a tw* t of a D/O and knows it all,,,,,won't be told anything from local divers, fisherman, old grannies walking their dogs on a beach , etc etc etc

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#FF0000'>Ere Andy do you know my Do then if you don't you will after August.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Imported post

Back to the full moon Idea..
At the moment we have had 3 murders in my home town in the last week..
Which is qt odd as we hardly ever get any...
I noticed on Friday night, the moon was at its fullest and looked the closest
Steve

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>didnt know you knew our DO andy.  Maybe its a test they have to take at BSAC headquarters - how to be an arse to be a DO.  Im glad to see the YD one must have been ill that day.

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

I was confused 'cos i thought a full moon was your whole Ass on show, and a half moon was just a peek of the crack?

But as a DO i am very easily confused but always correct

Well kind of anyway

Paul

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Andy the Commie 2 @ Feb. 07 2004,16:22)]can STILL manage to miss slack water on a wreck, or misjudge the tide so we miss dives etc etc?
Try doing it yourself, I find it hard to criticise anyone for having a go if I won't myself. ( and I am no DO or ever will be)
The ambient air pressure, wind direction and other factors can make tide times vary from the table predictions. That is what local knowledge that can take years to learn is all about.
The only mistake is not turning up early enough to allow for any variance from expected.

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Rupert

Yep, i'd certainly go along with that, often get variations of anywhere between 30 and 80 min off Dover. Nearly always early.

Paul

1 - 20 of 25 Posts