YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Hi All,

I am trying not to give too much away here.  I have just done a BSAC theory exam (quite high up the ladder!!) and am very puzzled over one question.

This questions asked about the "full to bursting effect" in the lungs. They wanted the proper name for it. The options were something like the Paul Nicholas effect, the heir von limbo effect - terms like that.

Has anyone got any more of a idea than me?? Please don't tell me it is something that entry level students learn!

Paul

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Imported post

It's the Barbara Windsor effect.
It must be, her lungs are or where huge, always looked like they were ready for bursting.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hi Paul

Difficult without seeing the question. It might be the Hering-Breuer reflex which is a nervous mechanism that limits respiration activity. Stimulation of sensory endings in the lungs limits both inspiration and expiration in ordinary breathing.

Must be a very high level of theory exam if its asking about Hering-Breuer - I last came across it at university, not in any diving manuals.

Prefered the Monica Lewinsky answer myself.

Good luck with the test.

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Hi Paul

Mediastinal Emphysema and Pneumothorax.

I think the options in the answers would have been Emphysema and Pneumothorax.

Dive Safe

Another Paul

PS Yes i did have to look up the spelling.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Imported post

Hi Paul,

It wasn't an actual injury I don't think. The question before was actually on interstitial emphysema. I think it was an effect prior to damage. Emphysema/pneumothorax certainly were not options - they were all people's names.

Capel diver,
Hering-breuer effect -now you say that, I think it may have been one of the options and the one I went for (it sounded German and more likely than the Paul Nicholas effect which was another option!!).  Thanks very much for that, do you know where I could find any more info?

Now, who can tell me the ideal size of an ice hole to accomodate 2 divers (another pointless question!!).

Cheers,

Paul

·
Registered
755 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hi again Paul

I think you may have to look in a medical dictionary or text book.

I'm planning to sit the BSAC TIE in the spring so I've been reading the manuals but haven't come across it in there.

I have a copy of Dorland's Medical Dictionery - its in there although not much detail about it. I'm amazed that a diving theory test asks for a name like that.

Best of luck

Ian

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Paul Beal @ Dec. 14 2003,12:59)]Thanks very much for that, do you know where I could find any more info?

Now, who can tell me the ideal size of an ice hole to accomodate 2 divers (another pointless question!!).
<font color='#008080'>well wasn't it the index of my clinical medicine book and that is a good 2 1/2 inches thick.

as for the ice question surely that depends on the size of their beer guts  

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Just out of interest.  

What is the relevance of the question in relation to diving.  Is the information really useful for say teaching diving or is it just a fairly pointless question that has no relevance other than being able to describe full to bursting effect using the correct terminology.

It seems that terms such as Pneumothorax and pulmonary barotrauma are great to know, but as long as people know that a burst lung is a serious injury and the reasons it can occur are understood does it matter if they don't know the exact terminology.  (Well obviously quite handy in medical circles
)

Daz

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>hell when i went to A&E cos my buddy has a rapid ascent they got the book out (very worrying).  They asked me to put a gown on for a chest x-ray and i said "is that the polite way of asking if i would take my underwired bra off?"

What does it matter as Daz says, for us as divers the only thing we can possibly do is give o2, AV if needed and bung them in the chopper and then the pot.  I thought a lot of the questions in the old DL paper were a bit pointless, but that may be just me.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Imported post

Hering-Breuer reflex is the full to bursting signal. Very weak in humans.
Mentioned in the BSAC Diving Manual 1980 (10th edition) in the chapter on Burst Lung.
Is this the First Class exam or has its name been changed?
Alan.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Imported post

Thanks all - I am glad I got that one right, it was a good guess!

Having a more thorough look round the net (from work so I can also get free access to many online journals) it seems it is an inhibitory effect on further inhalation caused by signals from stretch receptors.

I completely agree about the compete lack of relevance to diving or teaching diving. I can just imagine the look on my ocean diver trainees faces if I started talking about that one.

It was the advanced instructor theory exam.The person invigilating said that he thought it was aweful too! We will see if I managed to scrape enough pointless facts out of the back of my brain to manage a pass on thursday!

Cheers,

Paul

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Good luck with it Paul.

Daz

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Good luck with it Paul.
Thanks, I think I will need it!! Not going for the practical until july probably. Will be chuffed if I pass the theory exam as it was a bit of a bitch!

Paul

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Oh dear,

I'm booked on one of those in Feb, all tips welcome

I may have to up my revision rate.

Dive Safe

Paul

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

Well I can see some relevance in having a thorough knowledge of the medical side of diving issues, even though it doesn't affect how well we can treat them, but I so hate the typical irrelevant question they throw in, size of an ice hole FFS! However, I think that may have been a potential "red herring" as the golden rule of ice diving (AFAIUI) is it's one diver at a time on a rope with surface cover on the other end of the rope.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Imported post

The Hering Breuer reflex is highly developed in sea mammals like seals, and only vestigial in man. To take advantage of it wet your cheeks with cold water before puting your mask on and immediatly entering the water. It will slightly reduce air consumption in certain individuals. Not certain of a recreational diving relevance tho', maybe to test amount of obscure futher reading ?
Ice hole - 8ft X 8ft. (At least that's the ideal recomendation by British Antarctic Survey, who I tend to refer to in ice diving questions.)

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Imported post

8ft

Thats about 2m isn't it - sorry, I'm a metric kid! Sadly I think I got that one wrong then!

Cheers for the info though!

Paul

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Imported post

Well I passed anyway!!

50 out of 60, I'm happy with that!

Bring on the practical exam (gulp!!)

Paul

1 - 20 of 21 Posts