YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All - Just a line to say hello from out here in the South Atlantic on Ascension Island where the water is warm the viz is super and the marine life plentiful. I know what you are thinking and yes it is a dirty job working in such a harsh location:angel: but someone has to do it I suppose. If you get the chance, its well worth the effort and the best thing is there are not that many divers here.....................:teeth:

·
Registered
4,526 Posts
Welcome, and hasn't the Ascension Islands just had a volcano eruption (warmer waters than usual?), or am I getting confused in my old age?

Another big pin for my 'Dive The World' wall planner :teeth:

·
More yokel than local moi luvver
1,280 Posts
Lucky git, i was there in November, Dolphins Morays you name it. Welcome to the boards.

Dave

·
Atomic Blonde and Midjit Idjit
16,469 Posts
Not interested, I'll stick to zero viz off the North East coast, thankyou.

Git!

Welcome to YD :teeth:

Helen xxx

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hello,
Was there just a short while ago on the RFA Gold Rover. Didn't manage to dive though as full of cold whilst there. Have done in the past and found it fantastic.
The guy on the boat did say that it was a bit murky the day I did dive (must be knocking on for about a year ago) Only 15 meters viz. I'm used to fifteen inches, viz I must add.
If I had the money I'd move out there and set up a dive centre. Bit of a problem with getting people there though, and the what else to do when not diving thing too.

Happy diving.:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ascension Diving

Hi Folks and thanks for the welcome messages in reply, Silvafish first so far no volcanic eruptions although we do have around 40 dormant volcanic cones, occassionally get off-shore earth quakes which create large swells from nothing. We also have Atlantic swells that role in and are impressive but the Met boys & girls let you know when they are coming. Swissdave is right, morals are really "interesting" though not as big as the giant we do get 9-10 ft beast who like nibbling fins and anything else they can bite. Also regularly get Sharks, (including Whale Shark) Manta's and Dolphins and of course an invasion of Green Turtles at nesting time, right now the baby turtles are hatching and there is fry about so the bigger fish should arrive soon. Buoyant Babe, where on the East Coast do you dive, I'm from Flamborough! Pee Bee not sure what you mean by mess Blackcat but it sounds like fun. Pete

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Blackcat in Asi

Oh Stevio,

I bought a ex-Navy Pacific 22 RIB with teh intention of setting up as a charter boat, gained PADI and DAN business registration, set up as a limited company on St Helena as required then was told by the Ascension Government that as they did not have there tax laws in place I could not start trading???? It seems that the Ascension and St Helena Governments don't know what the other is doing and the FCO are also involved with a no new development policy. That said if you wanted to come out it could be arranged. Flights are expensive at around £1K or £866 for a group of six, only one hotel on the island so they have the monopoly. Then dive boat, I suppose a "gift" would not be the same as trading especially if paid in the UK and I am always open to friends visiting:angel:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pee Bee Reply

Hi Pee Bee,

Its not so much the current but more the surge caused by wave action which can be a pain if you get into it. This happened to me on my first shore dive here at a place called Triangles when I must admit I was talked into something I was not entirely happy with by two "experts", what was that saying about bowing to peer pressure. Coming back to shore four of us ended up in the Worlds biggest washing machine and were thrown up against rocks, most of my diving is now done from my boat which is far safer.

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Oh Stevio,

I bought a ex-Navy Pacific 22 RIB with teh intention of setting up as a charter boat, gained PADI and DAN business registration, set up as a limited company on St Helena as required then was told by the Ascension Government that as they did not have there tax laws in place I could not start trading???? It seems that the Ascension and St Helena Governments don't know what the other is doing and the FCO are also involved with a no new development policy. That said if you wanted to come out it could be arranged. Flights are expensive at around £1K or £866 for a group of six, only one hotel on the island so they have the monopoly. Then dive boat, I suppose a "gift" would not be the same as trading especially if paid in the UK and I am always open to friends visiting:angel:
And would the flight out be on the aged 747 that may have been no 2 off the production line - and sounds like it?

·
Guru
7,112 Posts
Post a few pics would you mate - would be interested to see what its like down there - maybe a "trip report" even? Welcome to the board - hope you find it useful and fun

·
More yokel than local moi luvver
1,280 Posts
The Triangles is good but the blow hole at red rock is a laff, also the arch at boatswainburg rock is one hell of a ride:teeth: also good for dolphins and sharks there. Howard i'll try and put some pic's of the place up at the weekend.

Dave

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Blow Hole

The Blow hole is a good laugh, just how long can you hang on!!!!

Bowswain Bird Island is a really good site and worth the bouncy ride to get there. I also like some of the wreck sites of China, Normandy and the Sudan, even the swim throughs at English Bay is worth exploring. I think we are on No 3 airframe at the moment, still old and guess what no beer on the flights as its an MOD charter. Still it beats a Herky Bird I suppose and at list the hostees are nice to look at:teeth: and even better when you surface at English Bay when they are in full tanning mode!!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Blow Hole

The Blow hole is a good laugh, just how long can you hang on!!!!

Bowswain Bird Island is a really good site and worth the bouncy ride to get there. I also like some of the wreck sites of China, Normandy and the Sudan, even the swim throughs at English Bay are worth exploring. I think we are on No 3 airframe at the moment, still old and guess what no beer on the flights as its an MOD charter. Still it beats a Herky Bird I suppose and at least the hostees are nice to look at:teeth: and even better when you surface at English Bay when they are in full tanning mode!!!!

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
Hi BCD,

A warm welcome to YD, I hope you enjoy the boards.

Safe diving,
Steve

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Welcome Blackcat, you mentioned tanning birds, mmh Might have to add a new dive site to my list.

Have fun and keep us up to date on yoiur gift policy.

Whats the water temps like year round? whens the best time to come out?

Davie

1 - 18 of 18 Posts