YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Dive 138: Furnace B200

As I am off this week getting ready to head to Mallorca for the summer, I had discussed with Stew about doing the B200 off of Furnace pier, this is the same wreck I had dived previously and is also the deepest I have been.

I checked the tides on easytides, low tide was to be around eleven am, which suited us perfectly.

We met up at nine am, got all the kit together and drove up together towards Loch Fyne, discussing deep trenches, American Beach landing practice and rumours of Sherman Tanks at the bottom of the Sea Lochs....

When we arrived at Furnace we we saw one other car sitting at the dive site, it turned out it was Mike & John both from Cusac, of all the dive sites and all the days.

We said our hello's then kitted up.

O2 Kit in the car, both of us ready with a backup plan, should computers fail (as maximum depth was planned at 44 metres, backup would be based on the planned maximum bottom time, 1 minute at 22 metres, 1 minute at 12 metres, 5 minutes at 6 metres and 1 minute at 3 metres - not exactly pushing the boundaries of technical diving but for me it is enough just now). Dive timers at the ready, AIR as back gas and EAN48 (should have been EAN50 but as Aquatron don't seem to be able to get spot on EAN mixes without waiting for hours, EAN48 would do) for me in my side slung and Stew on EAN60, I was to gas switch at 21 Metres after my deep stop and Stew would be switching at 15 metres.

Stewart & I agreed before hand we would have between six and nine minutes bottom time, as the B200 is a small wreck and apart from hitting deco penalty there actually is not that much to see, she lies in around 43 metres.

We kit up and do a buddy check at the water line under the pier.

Straight down from the side of the pier. The water seemed to be full of sediment, visibility is quite low compared to the normally brilliant visibility found here. We descend quickly, down the reef, straight down to the wreck, we approached it from the stern and the Starboard side, we fin round the bow and looking back alongside the port side, I could easily see the B200 name written on the side of the wreck, the torch picked out the blue hull with white border, back towards the stern and up towards the deck I finned.
There is not much left of the deck with an old lobster pot lying in the middle of the wreck, the roof of the wheel house has gone although some of the windows are still intact.

We had a wee look around then as my computer declared we had hit deco, I signalled I wanted to start heading up to the shallows, just as we came off the stern to the boulders and reef there was a large Gurnard free swimming just off the bottom, he looked lazy and a little like a lion fish.

We slowly ascended up the reef slope, this site makes doing 40 metres seem relatively easy* as there is little current and a nice gently sloping reef to follow all the way up to the surface.

I do my first one minute deep stop at 22 metres, I then turn on my side slung, check the reg has gas flowing, switch to it after double checking my computer is blinking that I have another mix within operational depth, I then select MIX2 on the Suunto and within a few easy breathes my deco ceiling has vanished.

We slowly make our ascent, with Stew switching to his EAN60 at 15 Metres, the ambient light is getting brighter now and we can see under almost every rock that there is a squat lobster or even some fish swimming around, we find the odd edible crab and I make my next deep stop at 12 metres.

we make the slow ascent from here to 6 Metres where we stop and hang, we have came up off to the right hand side of the pier so we fin through the iron legs and over the structure till we get to the left side and slowly make our way to the surface.

I really enjoyed that, its only he second time I have gone deeper than 40 metres but this time I was more relaxed, more coherent and more able to describe exactly what I had seen at depth.

B200, I will be back after the summer.

Dive 138: 08/05/2007 12:16 Maximum Depth: 42.7 Metres Run Time: 33 Minutes Back Gas: Air In: 224 Bar Air Out: 140 Deco Gas: EAN48 In: 220 Out: 160
Profile:

B200 Profile

*That doesn't mean you do it with disregard, as divers have been airlifted from this very site. It is just to say that if your going to make a foray past 40 metres then Furnace is not a bad place to do it (always have proper training and never attempt something you haven't done before without appropriate instruction from somebody qualified to teach you).

Dive 139: Furnace round the point.

After an hours surface Interval & a gab with John & Mike, we kitted up and decided to head round the point from the pier, not something we normally do.

We agreed to stay at a maximum depth of 20 metres and that we wouldnt need our side slungs as we wouldnt be doing deco.

After kitting up, buddy checks and floating on the surface relaxing for a few minutes, Stew and I descended into the green waters, once again visibility was very poor at around 3-5 Metres with lots of sediment in the water, a good day for leaving the camera in the back of the car.

We drifted in the current, rarely finning apart from taking a corrective course, we found the usual collection of squat lobsters, blennies and one large dogfish having a sleep. We say the bright yellow glow of Mike's Metalsub HID off in the gloom and then we turned back after around 15 minutes, made our way back up to the shallows, found a massive edible crab hiding under a rock and no matter how we tried to coax him out, he wasn't budging.

Dive 139: 08/05/2007 13:57 Maximum Depth: 22.6 Metres Dive Time: 38 Minutes Air In: 134 Bar Air Out: 58 SAC: 15.5 LPM

Round The Point Profile

Note: Originally posted on my deepstop blog.

·
tell it like it is
283 Posts
'no matter how we tried to coax him out, he wasn't budging.'
lmao...yah right :)

good day out matey & cheers for doing the driving.
i shot this back in December ... YouTube - furnace quarry, B200 wreck

since checking back over my log book sketches, i have found that perhaps more than half the wheel house & the 2 winch supports have been removed from the wreck sometime over the last 2 months.
i doubt it happened by any current!:frown:

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bah, downside of diving is I must have left my mask at the bottom of the pier when we surfaced :(

Anybody finds it can you get it to me somehow...

Ralf-Tech Catfish, clear silicon skirt, silver & black frame with a Tornado Marine / Whirlwind slapstrap.

Cheers

·
It doesn't look like that from where I'm sitting..
4,745 Posts
Bah, downside of diving is I must have left my mask at the bottom of the pier when we surfaced :(

Anybody finds it can you get it to me somehow...

Ralf-Tech Catfish, clear silicon skirt, silver & black frame with a Tornado Marine / Whirlwind slapstrap.

Cheers
I'm sure you'll see it again Davie..... not!

Great report... as usual!

Sorry about the mask.

Pete

1 - 4 of 4 Posts