YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Thought this might be interesting.
Where do you see recreational diving being in 10 years?

Will it be more or less popular? Will we all be rebreathing? Or in atmosphere suits? Or personal subs? Will helium have run out? Will we have new gases to breathe? What about decompression theory? Will we wear personal doppler units to measure actual bubble loading? What about underwater comms? Any ideas.........

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>arent people looking into using neon instead of helium?

10 yrs reckon 90% of tek diving on breathers.

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Imported post

Oxygum - that's where the future is.  

Maybe heads up displays will be common.

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Yes, interesting, this one.

There has clearly been a big expansion in diving over the last few years which I'd say can be put down to holiday divers. These days a summer diving holiday is much like a winter ski holiday has been for some time. Many people are only diving for two weeks each year, somewhere nice and warm. There's a knock-on effect of course for UK diving when people get so hooked they want to dive back home as well.

So I can see recreational diving going in two directions. I think there's going to be a whole host of holiday divers, all PADI trained who will take their annual plunge abroad.

I think UK diving is going to continue to become more technical. More mixed gasses, more wings and twinsets, more DIR. And why? People here will want to differentiate themselves from "The Host" by doing "proper" diving here in the UK. Without a twinset you'll look just like a dabbler. Look around - it's started already.

Technical advances? Depends on cost really. It's an expensive sport as it is. Will we have heads-up displays and underwater comms? Not unless it's affordable. But with the advances in battery technology from mobiles, who knows?

Will we all still be clinically certifiable? Absolutely!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

I can see the development of 'idiot proof' rebreathers, probly scrs. Holiday diver picks up a sealed unit pre-prepared by dive school/resort with 32% nitrox or something and it needs no checking other than spg. Depth limits sounded by alarms and a duration timer alarm for the scrubber. After 2-5 dives you return it and pick up a fresh unit. Or maybe ccr electronics will get good enough that bailouts aren't necessary and user monitoring not needed? If they don't find a cheap helium source and prices get high enough will rebreathers be more financially viable for all deep diving?
Or will the fad pass for diving altogether? PADI figures show a big slow down and plateau in numbers in recent years - and surveys suggest that PADI's efforts to dispel the rufty-tufty danger image of diving have gone so far that most people don't consider it 'exciting' anymore. Will liability issues come to rule the sport making running dive boats/schools prohibiti vely expensive?

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Jason
I can't believe you placed this question, I was thinking of putting one along the similar lines - how will diving develop technically in the next few years.
I agree on what Mark Davies write. Something I find frustating for example is going to a dive center abroad and ending up doing simple 'safe' dives because of less experienced 'holiday' divers.There may be a greater seperation between 'holiday' divers and regular divers and the regular ones tend to move more DIR, tech, mixed gases etch. I see this happening to myself inadvertantly.

On the technical side I wonder if we will get
i) underwater GPS devices,?
ii) computer intergrated BCD's where it will control bouyancy and automatically raises you to the surface as the air runs low?
ii) More frequent use of underwater vehicles?
iv) Underwater gameboys during decompression?
v) Smaller regs still
vi) Thinner wet suits but more effcient at heat retention
vii) Weirder shaped fins

I'm sure there will be even more PADI courses!

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>The computer integrated BCD is an interesting idea. We already have the Mares hub with hydraulically controlled air feeds. It's not a big step to link that with a computer in the same manner as the air integrated computers that we have now. You could drop to your desired depth, press a button to fix it (a bit like cruise control on your car) with a range of variance either side and then the computer could automatically adjust your bouancy as you moved around. Tell it when you want to go up and it could use bouancy adjustment to automatically take you to the surface at exactly the right rate, safety and decompression stops built in. It would be like riding a lift!

·
Shipwrecked & Comatose, drinking fresh mango juice
2,614 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>a BCD with cruise control?  I want one!  If they could add some little propulsion devices (to stop me having to remember to fin) and an automatic pointer outer for interesting things underwater (configurable, obviously, to fish / large fish / huge fish / hammerhead levels), along with the suit heater and integrated 2000bar 3 litre cylinder, that'd be ideal.

Maybe the next big thing will be the microsoft dive computer?  They have invaded lots of other small computer markets (pocket PC, Tablet PC).

Disposable kit?  Stuff that you buy when you arrive at the diving destination of choice, then simply discard at the end of the holiday?

Wearable gills - extract the oxygen from the H20? Actually, waterworld was on the tv last night and I couldn't help but think the 'gills' that the Kevin Costner character was supposed to have developed looked a bit like, well, another type of human anatomy?

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>All of you are probably right, to some extent. I hope however, that we shall continue to dive, in whatever fashion, simply because we love it. If one person branches out to tec diving, while another is satisfied with holiday diving, why not....I hope that in ten years I will still be in the water, still loving it...no matter what the market developments.

moray

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Imported post

The computer controlled bcd already exists - it was featured in some dive magazine in the last couple of years. A computer holds you at a given depth, you can fin against it but it rights you before you get far. Type your desired depth into the handset and away it goes, at the correct rate.  Developed for disabled divers. 1000 bar cylinder sounds like a great idea. The 'eye-sea' is an underwater sonar device used for survey work. The wrist unit tells you the direction and distance (to cm accuracy) of a beacon about the size of an epirb. Leave the beacon on the shot/boat/buddy etc and the arrow points you home. About £1000. Not quite gps but the applications are endless.....
A scrubber that dumps co2 into the water seems reasonable - it's super-soluble in seawater, but you'd need lots of power to pass enough water over the membrane. Pulling o2 out might be a bit tricky? I reckon a diver worn doppler bubble monitor as a chest strap (like a heart monitor) whicjh integrates real time bubble activity with decompression theory, linked to ppo2 measurement if rebreathing, and air integrated to integrate breathing rate would be the ultimate deco computer. Add body temp and vasodilation sensors to the skin and let the thing build a profile of your actual physiological reaction to known deco theory so it can learn and adjust next dive...... Or....just swallow an oxygen pill and go down for hours and blow bubbles.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

i) underwater GPS devices,?

Already is one - sort of. The neverlost tells you where the shotline is at all times, so you can work out where you are with it. It's just an extension to superimpose a map onto it

ii) computer intergrated BCD's where it will control bouyancy and automatically raises you to the surface as the air runs low?

Already is one - see Diver tests. In the same way as I wouldn't buy a HUB, I wouldn't buy a gadget that controlls my buoyancy.. tho it may have some use in the holiday market.

ii) More frequent use of underwater vehicles?

Is already happening - the Seadoo or whatever it's called..

iv) Underwater gameboys during decompression?

Already around - a sealable sandwich bag and a gameboy

v) Smaller regs still

Maybe - but consider the debate about the Apeks ATX range being too small and bubbles becoming annoying.
A return to twin-hoses, perhaps?

vi) Thinner wet suits but more effcient at heat retention

Already around - see Chillcheater and Fourth Element

vii) Weirder shaped fins

Weirder than some of the Forcefin range? Nah...

I reckon a deco computer with a doppler scanner is on the cards - so it not only works out your deco theoretically, it monitors bubbles as well. Hopefully, this will lead to even better deco algorithms due to the huge wealth of information it'll generate..

How about a drysuit with integrated wing? Do Quasimodo impressions in your surface interval

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
Imported post

Forgive me for sounding like a Pessimist but I don't think things will change much in only 10 years. I recently went to Skye and the accomodation had a large stash of dive mags going back to the early 70's. In one article from 1979, they were showing a 'break through' in diving. An all enclosed dive set which would safely take you down to a preset depth and then monitor the air to return you safely to the surface with a reserve of air. This was forcast to take over as the main peice of equipment negating the need to buy and assemble separate regs, ABLJ's and cylinders. As far as smaller regs, have you seen the oceanic DX4. Yet poeple are still using Scubapro, Mares, Apex and the like. The wet suits are very similar, except the models wearing them no longer have beards or large perms. The funniest advert we saw was for Moss Bross which could outfit you with all your diving equipment needs.

Dave C

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dominic @ Oct. 10 2003,09:44)]How about a drysuit with integrated wing? Do Quasimodo impressions in your surface interval
Great Idea than i can finaly say with pride that I use my suit for boyancy

My greatist fear for the future of diving is litigation resulting in the closure of dive centres and the end of dive charters due to the restrictive cost of insurance.

My own buisnes had to be re organised when our Public and profesional liabuility insurance went from £2300 in 2000 to £16,000 in 2003 as an example of what can happen.

On the plus side I can see low cost idiot proof CCR's as the way forward in diving. I would also like to see low cost reliable heated undersuits as well

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]idiot proof CCR's
Oh I just cant resist this one - already there with that, YBOD, GI3 wont use it so it must be idiot proof

Oh come on its Friday

Matt

·
Membership Cancelled
980 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#8D38C9'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mark Chase @ Oct. 10 2003,16:13)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dominic @ Oct. 10 2003,09:44)]How about a drysuit with integrated wing? Do Quasimodo impressions in your surface interval
Great Idea than i can finaly say with pride that I use my suit for boyancy
CDG divers been using them for 5-10 years.  Drysuits with built in bouyancy bags in the back panel - made by ND.

1000 bar cylinders - don't think so - much above 300 bar the ideal gas laws don't hold.  1/3 of a 300 bar fill is at 180 bar not 200 bar as you'd expect.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (lizardfish @ Oct. 09 2003,21:17)]You can kiss goodbye to coral reef diving in about 50 years. Most of the coral will be dead by then.

I think you're too pesimistic. Although a lot of coral (up to 60%) has already been lost in certain areas, due to destruction  of  mangrove swamps for prawn and fish farms, heavy deforestation, climatic changes etc etc, there is still plenty of healthy coral in many other places, e.g. the Red Sea, and awareness of the importance of protecting coral reefs is steadily increasing in Third World countries like the Philippines and Indonesia.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dcrampt @ Oct. 10 2003,11:26)]Forgive me for sounding like a Pessimist but I don't think things will change much in only 10 years.
I agree. 10 years is too short a perspective. The changes in the 15 years since I started diving have not been particularly dramatic. I think we will mainly see more of the same trends we have now (more technical diving, increased use of rebreathers etc) rather than revolutionary changes.

·
Shipwrecked & Comatose, drinking fresh mango juice
2,614 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mark Chase @ Oct. 10 2003,16:13)]1000 bar cylinders - don't think so - much above 300 bar the ideal gas laws don't hold.  1/3 of a 300 bar fill is at 180 bar not 200 bar as you'd expect.
what?

how does that work?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts