YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Hi all,

after reading many of Bren's posts on Divernet recommending this place I decided to take a look and like what I see.  I'll definitely be coming here more often.

I'm a PADI AOW with less than 30 dives (Turkey and UK - mainly Stoney) but keen to dive at any opportunity - I've spent a lot on kit and it's not getting wet enough!  I'm based in Yorkshire but work on the Wirral and would really like to start diving around the UK coast.

Being a newbie I don't really feel confident with somebody with equal experience unless on an 'easy' dive but really want to improve my diving skills.  Seriously thinking about joining about a BSAC branch to help build the experience I'm after, but honestly I'm not really a club person.

So any help / advice from divers /willing buddies keen to pass on their experience would be most welcome - but most important is getting under water with a fun group of people.

BTW agency/sex/age/creed etc etc not important I just wanna learn and dive.  Of course beer curry etc v Important!

Cheers all and if you've got this far thanks for reading.

Tim

ps. Every week on my trek across the hills on the M62 I pass Scammenden(??) Water - It looks interesting - is it divable?

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Imported post

Welcome aboard Tim - Scammonden IS diveable (in theory) but it is a SHIT dive. All the surrounding hills are moorland so the rain water runoff into the dam is very high in peat content. When I dived it, we used a 'jon-line' to keep buddy pairs together. I couldn't see my buddy, his torch, my torch or my guages so not worth the effort.

As for gaining experience, get yerself on one of our regular meets or suggest one yourself. You can dive with whoever you want to and gain experience that way. Thats how we all do it anyway!!

Regards

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hey Tim,

Glad you could join us!! Welcome aboard.

The guys and gals here range from complete 'newbies' to the serious technical wallahs - and all points in between, so no question too daft and no diving venue turned down out of hand - without either experience of same or an opinion from some one we trust. And ####, if we've not dived it, then it becomes a target for diving - as long as it's not suicide!!! We're not all 60 metre on mixed gas-wallahs, so fill yer boots and tell us what you'd like mate.

Welcome here and please either suggest a venue/dive site or let us know when you can meet us for a dive. We've got guys here who can make mid-week dives, to those that can dive all over the place (UK coast or inland) at weekends; so please pick your preference and let the forum know what you'd like. We can invariably accommodate you on wrecks, reefs, shore, boat or just 'bimmble in the blue' type dives. So please shout up your preferences!!

Cheers and look forward to diving with you and the troop soon.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Imported post

</span>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Quote: from Heads Up on 9:46 pm on Aug. 30, 2002
Welcome aboard Tim - Scammonden IS diveable (in theory) but it is a SHIT dive. All the surrounding hills are moorland so the rain water runoff into the dam is very high in peat content.
<span =''>
Sounds like St. Mary's Loch - one of the few places I know you can do night diving training during the day!

So welcome Tim! Davey's already shown his friendly (you've got beer?) side which is pretty much the case (24 cans?) for everyone - we're all up for diving and a laff.

PS I've heard rumors about a place called St. Abbs or something? :rofl2:

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

Welcome - they're a friendly bunch here.

Charming, erudite, handsome .... deluded.

Hope to see you diving soon.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Imported post

Welcome aboard Tim.... not much more I can say that hasn't already been said, except don't be afriad to ask advice, no one here bites!

·
Gone...and probably best forgotten
1,403 Posts
Imported post

</span>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ] except don't be afriad to ask advice, no one here bites!
<span =''>

Ammers does  (tee hee)

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Imported post

Welcome Tim,
You'll find one of the strengths of Yorkshire Divers, is that we are not a political animal. Whilst we have a group identity we stay clear of the negative connotations of a Club.

You'll find plenty of us with a wide variety of interests in particular areas of diving. As you have probably gathered YD offers an excellent opportunity to gain experience.

·
C-in-C the Amphibious Contingent
1,421 Posts
Imported post

Welcome to our forum Tim, nice to have you with us.  Bren's right - all dive levels here, even a frog!  Dive safely, any questions - just ask.  It's usually the 'daft' ones that are the most important!!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Imported post

Hi Tim,
Welcome! I've been at YD for only a fortnight and I've picked up a lot from the different boards about venues, training, kit etc and everyone I've spoken to has been really helpful. The most important thing though is that In the last week I've been diving twice, Anglesey and Capernwray, logged half a dozen dives and had two great days out with other members. I wouldn't have known where to start if I hadn't been guided to the site by Bren Tierney (he's been awful quiet this week - where are you Bren?). So get in touch with everyone, you'll soon arrange dates and sites and get wet!!
Cheers
John

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hey John,

Glad you got hooked up and involved!! Glad to see the guys meeting up with you and choosing a couple of good dive venues - and that you're making progress in and enjoying your diving. Well done mate. That's what it's all about.

Yeah, sorry I've been AWOL this week, had some rather unhappy news on Monday that somewhat 'coloured' my week. That and dragging my sorry arse allow over Christendom has made for a rough time of it.

Any way, hope to meet up soon on a dive and possibly a polite medium-sweet sherry afterwards to boot.

Cheers,

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Imported post

Hey,

thanks for the warm welcome - its very encouraging when joing a new group.

Looking forward to meeting some of you guys and gals in the future.

Safe Diving.

Tim

·
Registered
59 Posts
Imported post

Welcome!

You may fancy the Capernwray dive on Saturday.

If so, perhaps see you around - don't forget BWFC!!!

(B-eer, W-omen, F-ootball, C-urry) - Sorry ladies!

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

Welcome one, welcome all,

Any help, assistance or kit (to lend) that I can give then just ask.

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just realised that I first registered 4 years ago yesterday. Bloody Hell fire!

So much time, such useless crap posted.

It's interesting to see how many of the peopple that welcomed me are still around.

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Tim Ingmire said:
Just realised that I first registered 4 years ago yesterday. Bloody Hell fire!

So much time, such useless crap posted.

It's interesting to see how many of the peopple that welcomed me are still around.
Oops - I didn't welcome you - what a miserable cow, eh?

Anyway, Welcome :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts