YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
YDs Most Southerly Monkey
6,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This looks interesting; does anyone have any experience with these vehicles?

GoinGreen - Driving Down Pollution

I'd never heard of them before, not available here in Aus, as far as I know. I wouldn't fancy getting T-boned by a Ford F150 in one though.

·
6,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the looks like it should have a large butterfly key sticking out of the back to wind it up with..

GLOC used to have something similar that he used to dive to inland sites with.. Oh how we used to take the piss. :D
was it ok in the water?

·
Registered
118 Posts
I see them around london all the time. Ugly things and quite small. I would never get one. I do sort of understand their use in a busy city.

If you want to be "Green" try looking at the Toyota Prius. Lots of these round london too, quite smart cars!

·
New Member ? Its the same one i've always had
704 Posts
If you want to go 'Green' buy a second hand pushbike!:)

·
Registered
767 Posts
The advertising people don't tell you that to make the Prius work it is full of eocolgical nasties in the batteries and the control circuits and the energy required to build them is pretty high. But it doesn't matter 'cos most of the really nasty pollution is out in the third world and an awful lot of the green poseurs have no grasp of science so they believe most of the bullsh*t spouted by said advertisers.

David

·
Dive tart, just can't say no :-)
9,453 Posts
The G-Wiz was the subject of a report on the radio news last night. Seems that as it is technically a 4 wheel motorcycle it doesn't have to pass the standard european crash tests. Top Gear magazine tested one and it failed very badly. The importers defended it by suggesting that as it was only driven in towns it's average speed was less than 10 mph, they didn't mention what speed the other guy might be doing. :embarassed:

Pete

·
6,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The advertising people don't tell you that to make the Prius work it is full of eocolgical nasties in the batteries and the control circuits and the energy required to build them is pretty high. But it doesn't matter 'cos most of the really nasty pollution is out in the third world and an awful lot of the green poseurs have no grasp of science so they believe most of the bullsh*t spouted by said advertisers.

David
I know a couple of people in the State Govt Environment Division who drove the Departmental Prius (usual thing, meanwhile the managers all had 4L Falcons/Commodores or Patrols to bomb around in) and they reckoned it was fine in the winter, when the regenerative braking powered up the battery fairly well, however, any other drain on the electricals mean't the petrol engine was running much more.

The upshot of this was that in the summer, when it's usually 25C+ here, the air conditioning sucked out all the power, so the fuel consumption rocketed. That's another thing they don't tell you.

As for the G-Whiz, I don't really see how it saves any greenhouse gases (although it's cheaper to run, which is most people's concern),; it uses power generated predominantly by thermal means (ie steam from burning coal, oil or Uranium) and at present, around 70% of that energy is lost at the point of generation, as well as a percentage lost in transmission. I guess this may improve a little as more renewables come on line but you have to question why they have all these exemptions from Congestion Charge, parking costs etc, as it seems to me that they would could well result in the emission of more CO2 than an equivalent powered petrol engine, it's just that the point source of CO2 emission is transferred elsewhere, up in the Trent Valley or wherever.

I think that very few people think this through and on that score, I have to agree with you David.

·
6,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The G-Wiz was the subject of a report on the radio news last night. Seems that as it is technically a 4 wheel motorcycle it doesn't have to pass the standard european crash tests. Top Gear magazine tested one and it failed very badly. The importers defended it by suggesting that as it was only driven in towns it's average speed was less than 10 mph, they didn't mention what speed the other guy might be doing. :embarassed:

Pete

You could say the same (and much more) about a pushbike in that respect. I wouldn't ride one in a busy city any more.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts