YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Dunno really........ thinking about it
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

A couple of friends will be going to the Galapagos later this year and want to dive.
They need to have 50 dives logged before being allowed into the sea. So far they have a handful only in nice warm water and have (I think) basic BSAC.
I'll be helping them towards their target and want to make the diving here as relevant as possible to what they will be meeting out there.
Stoney will contribute very little to the process I fear.

Does anyone have any idea of the type of conditions they are likely to meet - they will be there in August I believe.
We can't replicate the wildlife but might beable to do something with currents, sea types, viz etc.
Any info much appreciated.

Sadly they don't need a bag carrier

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Hi Richie,

Firstly,  BASTARDS...  

I can only relay what I have read been told.  The vis can be variable although I have been informed it is generally pretty good to excellent by uk standards.

The currents however are another matter.  They can suffer from very severe currents and as I understand it, this is one of the main reasons for the 50 dives minimum requirement.  

Daz

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Imported post

Just to add to Daz's point, AIUI (coz it isn't based on my own personal experience), it depends on where you go with the different Islands offering different conditions.  Islands in the North such as Darwin (?) offer quite challenging conditions where a drysuit would be usefull.  This isn't the case further south where the water temps can be higher and viz 'better'.  It seems to be that if you expect UK-type conditions then you will be ok.

Oh and Yes,  BASTARDS....

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

Agreed, double Bastardos ! I'd reckon a bit of experience around the Farnes would be as near to the Galapagos as you'd get here, you know, unpredicatable currents and small rocky cliffs.

I would expect they would need dry suits or very good semi drys as  the Galapagos are fed by the cold Antarctic Humboldt current, hence the presence of Humboldt (or Galapagos) penguins there.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

From what I've read, you would need to take a drysuit and a 3 mm wetsuit if you were on a liveaboard covering a large area, e.g. the Reina Silvia, my "deamboat" - I've just GOT to go on her some time http://access-galapagos.com/
The best diving is apparently in the north, at Darwin and Wolf islands, where the currents are reputedly VERY strong, far stronger than you're likely to experience on a typical UK dive.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

Oh I say old chap, one will have to arrange a bijou soireé on that velssel, what ho ?

They don't publish prices on the webpage so I imagine if you have to ask, then you can't afford it  

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

I reckon you're right Steve. I worked out a couple of years ago that a trip to Cocos or Galapagos was going to cost me best part of 4 grand by the time I'd paid for drinks, tips, a couple of hotel nights etc. There really is a lot to be said for the Red Sea. You can get a really good "Deep south" or Brothers trip for £1000 all in. Still, I've just got to do the Galapagos trip before I die. How about a whip-round?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts