YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Game

1K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  orangehead 
#1 ·
No not the game, or being on the game but game as in y'know game, what you eat.

Anyone got any good game recipes? I've got access to a duck or two, some rabbit, venison, hopefully pigeon and possibly a pheasant.

So come on folks I need ideas for a scrummy din dins on Saturday! :D

#3 ·
in porterhouse blue they stuffed a swan with a goose which was stuffed with a pheasant that was stuffed with a partridge that was stuffed with a gineafowl that was stuffed with quail.

sounds quite nice.
dont know what the vegy option was.

Reactions: 12882
#6 ·
there is something about royalty being able to eat swans.

dunno.

partridge in red wine is nice.
so is roast pheasant.

i was brunged up on a farm and often had to go and shoot sunday lunch.

ah...the good ol days.

no internet,no mobiles,no speed cameras and more roads than cars.

progress.

#7 ·
If you roast pheasant you need to keep it moist - it can go dry. Lots of bacon on its back. Alternatively just take the breasts and do a warm salad with them. Then use the rest of the carcasse in a mixed game pie or casserole with your other trimmings.

Venison braised in red wine with shallots and juniper berries is good.

Duck - I would either plain roast, or split it and pan-cook the breast, and roast the legs.

#10 ·
Pigeon breast stuffed with boursin, wrapped in bacon and quick fried in a shallow pan is good,
or
Pheasant casserole, juniper berries, red wine, bay leaf, shallots, black pepper slow cooker, put it on in the morning and a great meal ready in the evening.

#15 ·
Pheasant casserole with artichoke and chestnut, lovely.

If you can get hold of it, Lady Maclean's Cookbook (Fitzroy Maclean's wife) has some great game recipes in it. Proper traditional country house cooking. I had venison in chocolate and blackberry sauce in the Macleans' hotel once and it was amazing, one of the best meals I've ever had.

Pheasant curries better than any other meat I can think of if that helps.
There's a naff looking greasy cafe called the Hunter's Grill in the Northern Quarter in Manchester, all plastic seating bolted down and 70's formica. Looks a right shit tip but they do fantastic game curry, pheasant, venison, the lot. Tandoori pheasant at 3am is one of life's real pleasures :D

#13 ·
If its a haunch of venison then slow roast in red wine, juniper berries, with shallots, mushrooms and anything else to hand. I find made up recipies are usually the best. served with goose fat roast potatoes, roasted carrots & parsnips and a green veg of some kind.

#14 ·
Thanks for all the replies folks, feel free to post full recipes in this thread! :D

I've found a Spew Burnley ShittingBalls recipe for a Rabbit, Pigeon and Venison pie I'm gonna try out.
I'll let you all know how it goes.
Thanks again all.

#18 ·
Game, particularly duck and venison goes really well with cherry.

Seared Duck Breasts with Cherry Sauce recipe | Recipes - Times Online

For venison, take a nice piece of haunch. Cook lightly in a pan with butter (you want the middle nice and rare/blue/raw). Serve with cherries (as above) and a roast pear. Lovely.
I had this at the Baltic restaurant. One of the best meals I have ever had.

If your access to game is via ownership of a rifle, deer need to be gutted very quickly or the stomachs float (not good).

D

#20 ·
My rabbit hotpot:

Seal jointed rabbit pieces in a casserole, and reserve
fry some chopped garlic & onion
add 2 sliced carrots and fry gently in a little butter
deglaze with some wine
add chopped mushrooms and a little more butter
add 2 sliced leeks and sweat until softened a bit
return the rabbit pieces to the pot
cover with stock
grind a teaspoon or so of parsley, sage, rosemary & thyme and stir in
Serve with cauliflower and pan roast potatoes

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.