YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some advice on what is best for a garage burglar alarm.

My garage is 9 meters wide by 25 meters long, very large garage, it has one up-and-over metal front door and a solid oak side door.

What I would like is a complete separate wireless unit for my garage, ie alarm panel, sensors, bell box, etc, etc.

Does anyone have any experience of sensors in a garage? My concern is that if I use PIR type sensors they will keep going off due to the door rattling or a spider moving or do they make specific sensors for garages?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hi i installed a full system in my garage 2 years ago (panel,door switches,smoke alarm etc) the pir,s i used were micro x these are both pir & infra red (can set to either,orboth) mine are set so they have to be activated by both.No problems in the 2 years i,ve had them fitted.The smoke alarm is fitted but only arms when the doors are closed and the alarm is in set mode(stops false alarms when welding,grinding etc)Also i have a dialler in the system which will ring me and let me know if there is an activation.Not the cheapest system but a good solid security alarm without worries of false alarms etc.
regards
Stuart

·
Well Balanced - Bitter and Twisted !!
1,987 Posts
I put a wireless sensor in my girlfriends garage as part of here main alarm , The doors rattle and it gets very hot lots of spiders, touch wood no false alarms, its got PIR sensor and a door switch contact , all wireless, easy to fit as well

·
Driving my truck with my high-heels on...
5,509 Posts
Couple of large starving dogs ?

·
Sponsored by The Betty Ford Clinic and Prozac
4,501 Posts
I appreciate that this is feck all use in direct answer to the OP, but I recently reviewed garage security to protect my dive gear.

After seeking advice from various knowledgable folk I focused on preventing entry rather than beefing up the alarm as alarms get ignored. I went for a 'garage defender'. It's a right nasty bastard to defeat as it prevents the lock from being attacked and it's cemented into the ground.

Wasn't too much money either. The garage is alarmed as well. Belt and braces and all that.

·
ccr_ada top DAC guru 001#Blackberry pin 283E29BB
2,217 Posts
I need some advice on what is best for a garage burglar alarm.

My garage is 9 meters wide by 25 meters long, very large garage, it has one up-and-over metal front door and a solid oak side door.

What I would like is a complete separate wireless unit for my garage, ie alarm panel, sensors, bell box, etc, etc.

Does anyone have any experience of sensors in a garage? My concern is that if I use PIR type sensors they will keep going off due to the door rattling or a spider moving or do they make specific sensors for garages?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

if it were me.......
Texecom - Wireless - Ricochet - leading manufacturer of award-winning security and intruder alarm products but i would say that as its what i fit..............
hope this helps....

·
2,217 Posts
so.......did you get this sorted??? if so what did you go for?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Morning DeepBull,

The real reason I need to alarm my garage is because I'm trying to get my Fire Arms Certificate (FAC), however in Leeds it's very difficult due to the recent shootings.

I've been told that if I put the gun safe in my garage, the garage needs to be alarmed, also the gun cabinet itself, ie a door connector.

When I spoke to the police fire arms expert he stated that the alarm box must be out of arms reach which includes the ability of a person stood on a transit van with a can of expanding foam. He gave this example as it has just happened in my area. My garage has a pitch roof and could easily accommodate an alarm box but could easily be reached with a small ladder or van. Therefore he suggested I tie in my garage alarm into my house alarm. What he also stated was that the garage door must have a door connector, inside he recommended a couple of pir's and a door connector on the gun safe.

A quick small job has now turned into a nightmare as my house already has a wired alarm, although quite old. So I'm thinking of removing the old alarm and all the wires and having an expert install a wireless version but I'm struggling as to how the alarm box can sound two different tones, one for the house and one for the garage, if this is possible.

Any help or advice you can offer would be much appreciated.

Kind regards
Steve

·
MIFLEX DIR = "Did It Rupture"??
3,737 Posts
I know no-body on YD would be silly enough to do it but just to point out that in the UK this is illegal unless you have access to an explosives factory... plus the method they are suggesting is not particularly safe or reliable. Far easier just to go and buy them :)

Danny

There is some great stuff here to play with....

Thunderflashes from HFM Pyrotechnics: The best for consumer and professional fireworks and pyrotechnics.

Or ask Paul Evans on here for an invite to his "Shed".......

·
MIFLEX DIR = "Did It Rupture"??
3,737 Posts
Steve, a bit of a daft question perhaps, but why would you want to store your weapons outside in the garage??

Sussex police are happy if your weapons are secured in an appropriate gun-safe, out of sight and securely fixed to the wall and floor. They are quite happy with them fitted inside cupboards or anywhere which makes a prolonged attack a pain in the wotsits. Is there nowhere inside you could store them? Be a much better option IMHO

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Simple, my wife won't have any guns, diving equipment, motor bikes, etc, etc (boys toys) in the house, however she does allow designer shoes and matching hand bags!!!

I know who wears the pants in my house and it isn't me................ but I love her to bits all the same and won't change her or her very large salary.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Simple, my wife won't have any guns, diving equipment, motor bikes, etc, etc (boys toys) in the house, however she does allow designer shoes and matching hand bags!!!

I know who wears the pants in my house and it isn't me................ but I love her to bits all the same and won't change her or her very large salary.
This should do it.

Wireless Converter Kit : Wireless Alarm Systems : Maplin

Scroll to N54 CL £99.00

Triggers your house alarm:wink: and has a door sensor and PIR, don't worry about false alarms, the spider would need to be the size of a small dog to set it off........................

If you want two different tones you will need two bell boxes, or a very expensive system......:frown:

You could just by a standalone wireless system and mount the bell box on the house, not the garage, it will be high enough then.......Unless you live in a bungalow:D

·
Registered
3,714 Posts

·
2,217 Posts
Morning DeepBull,

The real reason I need to alarm my garage is because I'm trying to get my Fire Arms Certificate (FAC), however in Leeds it's very difficult due to the recent shootings.

I've been told that if I put the gun safe in my garage, the garage needs to be alarmed, also the gun cabinet itself, ie a door connector.

When I spoke to the police fire arms expert he stated that the alarm box must be out of arms reach which includes the ability of a person stood on a transit van with a can of expanding foam. He gave this example as it has just happened in my area. My garage has a pitch roof and could easily accommodate an alarm box but could easily be reached with a small ladder or van. Therefore he suggested I tie in my garage alarm into my house alarm. What he also stated was that the garage door must have a door connector, inside he recommended a couple of pir's and a door connector on the gun safe.

A quick small job has now turned into a nightmare as my house already has a wired alarm, although quite old. So I'm thinking of removing the old alarm and all the wires and having an expert install a wireless version but I'm struggling as to how the alarm box can sound two different tones, one for the house and one for the garage, if this is possible.

Any help or advice you can offer would be much appreciated.

Kind regards
Steve

dont uninstall the alarm you have......
you can just use the same wire and have a new alarm box....
the new box can then have wired and wire free alarm bits!!

as for a bell box and expanding foam..... put a screamer in the garage center of the roof space .....very loud...

have in a bell box what you like as most of the bell box is dead space... most only have 1 siren but you can put 2 or more in them....
i would also add a dual Sim/phone dialer then you have triggers from the alarm that set off the dialer and it diles 9 or more preset numbers and if they cut the phone line the sim card diles you or whatever numbers you have told it to.......

what would i do if it was me....

well if it was me i would just go cctv as now a cctv system can do all the above! easy..... pop a camera in the garage and set up movement activation .... easy

yes now you can have door contacts, PIR's , bell boxes, numberplate recognition {to open your garage door as you drive up to it....} facial recognition, in fact anything that you can control with an open and closed circuit can be fitted to a cctv system and if its triggered the system can text you email you and send pics and or video to you of whats going on also the is 2 way audio

hummmmmm just like this.....:popcorn: http://www.arsparks.co.uk/Alien-and-Alien-Pod(1868031).htm
Alien Pro Hibrid 4, 8, 16 Way CCTV DVR System's

Realtime recording - all channels
Mobile phone Connection included!
DVD - backup
HD capacity up to 8-Terabytes!
Fastest Network connection available
2 Way Audio
Evidence back up to multi-standard DVD
Up to D1 resolution
Simultaneous MULTI-CHANNEL PLAYBACK
NAS - Network and local HD storage

The Alien Pro is a HIGH-END DVR aimed at installations requiring more than is currently available from other DVR manufacturers. Perfect for retail chains, secure installations and very high end domestics. And now with e-mail notification of alarm events.
* Superior Performance * Superior Features * Superior Value *
The Alien Pro Hybrid
Remote real-time viewing & playback
From anywhere in the world, you can see live or recorded images from the alienPro DVR. You can even hear sound too!
Control Devices Remotely
Using the remote control relays, you can connect to the alienPro DVR via a PC or laptop and switch up to 4 relays on or off.
See Live Images on your Mobile Phone
Using the latest Smart phones, you can even view a live video transmission from your CCTV cameras. The DVR is supplied with free easy to install software for your mobile phone for live viewing (2FPS) of your CCTV cameras from anywhere in the world. Basic phone requirements are: Smart phone with the ability to display video using 3G.
Auto Time Sync
The AlienPro can be configured to have its time and date regularly updated via a networked PC. On installations with multiple DVRS all the DVRs can be automatically updated so that they are all in Sync with each other.
Remote Data Store
In addition to its own massive storage (up to 8TB) the alienPro can also back files to a PC or server. IpdataStore software (order code SOFT888) is installed on the PC, which allows it to simultaneously record live images from the cameras connected to the DVR for a secondary backup. Ipdatastore can connect to more than one DVR so it can backup multiple DVRs at once. The IPDataStore Software is an optional extra to the alienPro.
Easy to use client software
The IPpowerVision client software is easy to use with its intuitive and friendly layout. Supplied free with the DVR it enables uses to remotely connect to the alienPro over a local area network or over the Internet. Users can see live images, playback recorded ones even control PTZ cameras or switch on lights!. Often the alienPro may be installed in a "safe location" and users access the DVR menus and watch realtime images solely via a networked PC. Password protection allows complete control of user rights.
To run the client software we recommend a minimum computer hardware of Pentium 4, 2.0 GHz CPU; 512 Ram; Windows 2000; IE 5.0; 1024 x 768, 16 bit screen resolution; 75Mb of disc space minimum; And a graphics card with ATI or NVIDIA chip sets supporting DirectX video overlay.
Multi-Channel Simultaneous Playback
The multi-screen playback mode allows the user to watch an event unfold on a group of cameras rather than wasting time starting and stopping individual channel playback. By double clicking on any of the small playback windows a full sized replay of that camera is triggered.
Dual Backup option
The alienPro has a built in DVD writer so that evidence can be easily written to a blank DVD for archiving or for the police to use in relation to a crime. Before the DVD is written by the DVR it presents the user with a choice of two formats H264 or AVI.
H264 can be used to store large amounts of video data on to the DVD as it boasts a high compression ratio and the stored data can be replayed using the free client software.
AVI format is used to give to the police as evidence as it can be played in modern household DVD player that is DivX capable or played by standard media player (DivX enabled)
Easy to Use OSD
The alienPRO DVR has been designed using the latest graphics in an easy to follow, logical format. Intuitive icons allow quick navigation to the required menu of choice.
Talkback
By connecting a microphone locally to the DVR and wiring a tannoy system from the DVR to a surveillance area, the CCTV operator can talk back to an area.
Real-Time Recording of Video & Audio
The ability to record realtime sound and vision continuously put the alienPro in a league of its own when combined with its other innovative features.
Tri-Stream Technology
The innovative alienPro uses tri-stream technology enabling high quality video recording locally at the DVR and lowered resolution transmission to networked PCs or a mobile phone at rates that won't cause bandwidth issues. So you can have you cake and eat it!
Control over PTZ cameras locally and over the internet
The alienPRO DVR can be used as a method for the CCTV operator to control Pan-Tilt-Zoom cameras on the system.
Up to D1 Resolution
The Alien Pro series use the Texas DM 64x series chip set.
Ultra long Data Storage
With up to 8 TERABYTES of internal hard drive storage possible within the alien Pro and the very latest H264 Compression technology it provides the perfect CCTV data storage solution for many businesses.
Easy Back-Up of Data
Depending on size you can back up to; DVD, External Hard Drive or USB Pen Drive.
Multiple DVRs Managed as One
The IPPowerVision software allows simultaneous connection to multiple DVRs.
Allocate Different User Levels & Rights
Totally flexible, you can set up users and user rights to suit your application.
Video Motion Detection (VMD) & Alarm Notification
When an event occurs by VMD or eny other alarm input the alienPro will trigger and a warning will be sent to be remotely displayed on the users PC to alert them of an intrusion or event.
Multi-layered Electronic Mapping of Sites
EMaps can be embedded in to the superb alienPro client software to enable the user an easy way to select and see images from a camera in a simple & intuitive graphical user interface.
Specifications
Video Inputs . . . . . . . . . . . . 16
Video in Connection . . . . . . . . BNC Socket
Audio Inputs . . . . . . . . . . . . 16
Audio Input Connection . . . . . . . BNC Socket
Video Outputs . . . . . . . . . . . 2
Video Out Connection . . . . . . . . BNC Socket
Audio Output . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
Audio Out Connection . . . . . . . . BNC Socket
recording Speed FPS . . . . . . . . Real Time 25 per channel
Compression . . . . . . . . . . . . MPEG-H264
Hard Drive Slots . . . . . . . . . . 8 or 4 with DVD writer
Max Drive Capacity . . . . . . . . . 8TB ( 4TB with DVD Writer )
Drive Supplied . . . . . . . . . . . None
Alarm Inputs . . . . . . . . . . . . 16
Alarm Outputs . . . . . . . . . . . 4 with remote relay control
Remote Control . . . . . . . . . . . Yes
CD Backup . . . . . . . . . . . . . Built-in DVD Writer
USB Backup . . . . . . . . . . . . . Yes
Network Connection . . . . . . . . . RJ45
Motion Detect . . . . . . . . . . . 396 points, 5 Levels
Screen Display . . . . . . . . . . . Full/Quad/8/16
PTZ Support . . . . . . . . . . . . Yes
Mouse Control . . . . . . . . . . . via USB
Free Client Software . . . . . . . . Yes
VGA Output . . . . . . . . . . . . . Yes
HDD Interface . . . . . . . . . . . S-ATA
Drive Form . . . . . . . . . . . . . 3.5" x 1/3H
Dimensions . . . . . . . . . . . . . W440mm x D470mm x H90mm

yep 16 alarm inputs and 4 with remote relay control...
(less on the 4 and 8 way systems...)

so unlike most alarm systems you could turn off an alarm remotely as the 4 relays are also remote... over the phone or net...

and yep you can also add this to a sim dialer... and this can do everything an alarm can do and a lot more...........
have the right mobile phone and login to your cctv system from anywhere you have a signal
if you have the Internet you have full control over the system
and yep a key fob can turn it off when you dont want the alarm bits on......

as for cost......... if you go for a 4 way system it could be as little as £400 for the dvr then a few cams all depends on the quality you want... as for pir's ,door contacts and bell boxes or screamers....

just give me a bell if you need any advice or if you are confused....;) ..... now who's Q....007 Deepbull
let me know if you want some covert cameras......lol

ada

·
Registered
7,598 Posts
After seeking advice from various knowledgable folk I focused on preventing entry rather than beefing up the alarm as alarms get ignored. I went for a 'garage defender'. It's a right nasty bastard to defeat as it prevents the lock from being attacked and it's cemented into the ground.
Kind of what he said.

I'd be making the up and over door only able to be open from the inside and
even go to the extreme of putting in an extra barrier depending on how
good a door.

That just leaves the much smaller side door, a lot easier to secure and arm,
but as this will be the only entry point it deserves the works.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts