YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

I am in the middle of creating my own little spreadheet (complete with formulas) to automate calculating gas consumption i.e.

Fish boy has an average breathing rate of 2 ltrs per min, has a 3 ltr cylinder and wants to do a 3 hr dive to 70 mtrs - has he enough gas to complete the dive.

Then my thought for today crossed my mind "surely someone has already created just such a program that I can download off the web and thus prevent my few remaining brain cells from being overtaxed".

Links to such software would be greatly appreciated.

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Imported post

Hi Finless,

I have a spreadsheet which has all the Nitrox calcs (MOD, Best Mix etc but not fill calcs) and Air requirements calculations - I took the later from Kevin Gurr's book.

I can send it to you once I'm back at home on Friday.

Tim

·
Dunno really........ thinking about it
1,585 Posts
Imported post

There is a calculation in V-planner which is downloadable.

It's not Excel but ........

If you like it I'll send you the password etc by PM - i fyou promise faithfully to pay the £20 odd to the writer  

·
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Timing @ June 04 2003,12:14)]I can send it to you once I'm back at home on Friday.
Timing,

Thanks - I would be interested to see how my methodology and calculations stack up against a more professional item.

Rgds
Bryan

·
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Richie @ June 04 2003,12:18)]If you like it I'll send you the password etc by PM - i fyou promise faithfully to pay the £20 odd to the writer  
Thanks for the info.

Smiley faces
 have many interpretations SO yes, I would like to have a look.

I promise to delete any reference to "it" from my system if I decide not to use it.

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Finless @ June 04 2003,12:08)]Fish boy has an average breathing rate of 2 ltrs per min, has a 3 ltr cylinder and wants to do a 3 hr dive to 70 mtrs - has he enough gas to complete the dive.
<font color='#0000FF'>Not big on Maths and haven't used a spreadsheet, but I think we can safely say NO

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Fish boy has an average breathing rate of 2 ltrs per min, has a 3 ltr cylinder and wants to do a 3 hr dive to 70 mtrs - has he enough gas to complete the dive.
What deco is he doing?

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Imported post

I have something similar to Tim's spreadsheet, but from his description, not as useful. I'd be interested in seeing Tim's to see if I can incorporate it into mine, and you're more than welcome to see mine if it's of any use - it covers MOD, calculates consumption, EAD (based on SAA nitrox tables) and a few other similar calculations (using functions in VBA).
Let me know if you're interested, and Tim - any chance I could have a copy too?
Cheers
Martin

·
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dominic @ June 04 2003,13:24)]What deco is he doing?
None - he is a fish boy.

·
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Richie @ June 04 2003,12:23)]try http://www.v-planner.com/

The nagometer is a pain but see PM
Richie,

Tks v/much - V-Planner now on my PC. Had a quick look and didn't get anything out of it yet - I guess I'll have to read the instructions. Unfortunately, inconsiderate people expect me to work for a living. TUT.

Anyway, tks again.

Rgds
Bryan

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Fish have to off-gas

Didn't you ever read about how Pyle stops were invented?

·
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dominic @ June 04 2003,13:32)]Fish have to off-gas

Didn't you ever read about how Pyle stops were invented?
Dominic,

Yes I did read it and he convinced me. The latest version of Proplanner that I have seen now incorporates Pyle stops.

Actually, fish boy is only taking the cylinder for show, he doesn't really need it. Also, I made up his breathing rate. Well, I had to do something up or my analogy (and by extrapolation, I) would look stupid.

·
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (MartinS @ June 04 2003,13:26)]Let me know if you're interested, and Tim - any chance I could have a copy too?
Cheers
Martin
Martin,

Yes pls - I'm always glad to look at diving related stuff.

Rgds
Bryan

·
Registered
224 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>loads of bits here for you to look at

·
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (steve-k @ June 04 2003,17:27)]loads of bits here for you to look at
Steve,

That will take some sorting through - tks for the info.

Rgds
Bryan

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Imported post

If anybody wants a copy of the spreadsheet please email me.  Tried to use the email function on the board but it won't allow files to be attached.

Once I have you email address then I'll copy it out.

Or if somebody wants to put it up on their websites and link to it from here?

Cheers,

Tim

1 - 17 of 17 Posts