YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Just thought I'd post a wee report on my Sunday trip to the Upper Clyde in case any of the board who haven't been there fancied it.

I was due to join a few lads for a day's diving on the Clyde on Sunday off the MV Spinaway Isle a 67ft ex-fishing boat that is well laid out for diving.

Large galley area, seating for communal eating and cabins below for a kip or a dry changing area on a wet day.

The weather yesterday was fantastic - hardly any wind - sun shone all day and despite indifferent viz I has two and a half very nice dives.

The plan was to do a couple of dives on the Akka, a four hundred foot wreck about 20 minutes sail from Inverkip Marina, our point of departure.

I buddied with a guy I hadn't dived with before but he was a pleasure to dive with. After dropping down the shot we arrive on the bridge worked our way aft, dropped over the side and then came back doing a wall dive on the side of the vessel like an overhanging cavern. Lots of life including a few big congers and after a slow ascent and a wee bit of decco we were back on the surface.

Dive time - 48mins, Max depth 39m.

Back on board we see that everybodies back on board already and one of the party handn't enjoyed the dive. It was dark and a bit forbidding and I think he'd got a bit narked and nervy.

It was decided to bin the next dive on the Akka and do a scenic at the nearby Gantock Rocks. One problem, the shot was still attached to the wreck and despite having a bit of a heave it wasn't moving so me and another guy re-kitted and popped down to get the grapple.

Dive time 13m Max depth 28m

I then boosted my twins with some 40% and went to the scenic dive. Nice bimble about in about 19-20 metres of water. Viz was poor but there was still plenty to see if you got close enough

All in all a great day and i'll certainly be using the boat again. The skipper told me that they'll be running wee evening trips out to the Akka and other wrecks starting in the next few weeks too.

If folk were up for it I would certainly be up for organising a w/e on the Clyde for a nice mix of wrecks that are in fairly easily divable depths and some nice scenic stuff.

See the link for more info

http://www.clydedivingcentre.com/

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

Hi Gav,
        Glad you enjoyed some of the Clydes finest 2mtr viz. It can be interesting trying to find you're way back to the shot at 40mtrs. You should have tried for the Kintyre, she's a pretty wreck as well. Nice clipper bow on her. Trail Island is good for scallops. Anyway here's a bit of info on the Akka......

AKKA
5409-ton Swedish motor vessel, built 1942. 434ft x 56ft. Twin six-cylinder oil engines. CARGO: Iron ore, Oxeloesund, Sweden for Glasgow. POSITION: 55 56.72N; 04 54.33W. DEPTH: 40m.
SUNK: 9 April, 1956, by striking Gantock Rocks, Firth of Clyde due to steering problems. Six killed out of crew of 33.
DIVING: Largely intact, upright, and biggest wreck in Clyde. Superstructure lies to west. Bow shallowest part at 16m, stern deck at 24m. Beware tides and collapsing areas. Penetrate with great care. Silt easily stirred up in holds, lower decks and engine room.
LAUNCH: Largs; Gourock.

·
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Thanks for that Peter. Good to see you on Saturday mate.

The viz was a little gloopy but I can't say it change my enjoyment much. I've gotta say that I must have found the shot by sense of smell.  

·
T.L.S. More dives than posts
688 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Thanks for that report Gav,gives me a chance to remind people of the weekend booked for August 16-17.
still places available.
Peter what depth is the Kintyre? I might fancy a look at her.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

Hi Kev,
        Sorry just noticed the question.
 I have only ever done the Kintyre as a shore dive so I'll explain the usual dive.
Clamber in and swim out about 30-40yrds and drop down into 3mtrs.
Swim to your right and you come to a sewer pipe.
Follow this pipe(Oh, disused I must add about now)  all the way to the end(approx 25 to 28'ish mtrs, 10-15mins into dive).
At the end of the pipe there is usually a rope leading straight to the Bow(30'ish mtrs, 20mins into dive)

The wreck then goes down to 55'ish mtrs. I've never been to the bottom(40'ish I've been to, single 12 and a pony kinda rules the bottom out from the shore),but, what I have seen of her she is a really well shaped old boat. There is not a great deal of safe penetration but at that depth I'm not really arsing about anyway. The Bow lines are worth a look at and a lot of the hull has rotted away there allowing sensible access.
Viz is normally between 2-4mtrs

The currents can scream through here. I have aborted dives(with an ess on the end) on the pipeline just trying to get down. The stories about trying to get to the Kintyre. In fact, it took me about 6 dives to actually get to the wreck. It became one of lifes little challenges. The wreck also has claimed a few divers souls, so be carefull. That's why we are so ready to abort the shore dives......

Dive time from the shore is usually just over the hour mark but you tend to go poking about the sewer pipe on the way back up. Incidently I had one of the best dives I have ever had on the sewer pipe. Loads of life and 5mtr viz(pretty good for the Clyde, in fact, bloody spectacular for the Clyde)

So to answer your question 30'ish to 55'ish
Peter

·
T.L.S. More dives than posts
688 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Peter. thanks very much for the info sounds like it could be worth a looksee.  

1 - 7 of 7 Posts