YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of getting my first dive computer and have narrowed my choice to the Suunto Gekko or the Oceanic veo 100nx. Does anyone have any opinions of these computers? I have used an Oceanic model before and found it very user friendly bu hav,nt tried a Suunto yet.

Graham

·
A Moderate from 04/01/07-24/12/12
11,804 Posts
I am thinking of getting my first dive computer and have narrowed my choice to the Suunto Gekko or the Oceanic veo 100nx. Does anyone have any opinions of these computers? I have used an Oceanic model before and found it very user friendly bu hav,nt tried a Suunto yet.

Graham
Hi Graham

It depends on a number of factors.....what diving are you currently doing, what do you think you will want to be doing before you buy a new computer.

Character size and underwater readability are things to consider, as are ease of using the buttons with gloves on possibly.

Backlit or not is another consideration.

IF you dive Nitrox can they be set to the mix you want? Does it stay put or does it reset itself?

The decompression models within them are different too I think. I have an Oceanic Versa Pro which is the fore runner to the Veo which has very weird deco algorithm becasue it was researched by a couple who dived mainly in the 20m range. The Suunto approach is to bring you up quickly an hold you shallow for a long while. If you are not doing that sort of diving then please just bear this in mind if you change.

Other things to consider are whether you want to download to a computer - The Gecko says you can't but there is a "tweak" on the internet which allows you to.

HTH
Mal

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Mal

I have so far only dived in warm water and strictly no deco diving. I really enjoy it and have no plans as yet to do anything more complicated. I reckon even a fairly basic computer will do me for many years to come but who knows what I will decide to do in the future, not me. I suppose if I did get into more advanced I could always use it as a back up. So what do you think Gekko or veo?

Graham

Warm water wusse:)

·
A Moderate from 04/01/07-24/12/12
11,804 Posts
In many respects it's hard to recommend one over the other. If they both have the features you want and you can read them both as easily, it then comes down to aesthetics .... which one do you like the most ;)

In my experience the Suunto is probably a more popular dive computer brand but mainly due to the popularity of the Vyper. I am the only person I know with an Oceanic computer

HTH
Mal

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not sure what to go for, suunto are the more popular brand I know so I assume alot of divers like and trust them but the oceanic one that I tried was quite old but worked just fine for me. I can get the oceanic for £129 brand new which is a good price and might just sway it for me. How did you come to choose your computer?

Graham

·
No longer open water diver
1,319 Posts
Hi Graham

I have used the Suunto Gekko for a few dives in the past, and found that the ascent rate indicator (a sort of 'bar' graph type display down one side of the screen) was quite hard to read. Also there is an identical display down the other side. It made ascents slightly interesting... :) I thought the display was a little too complex.

It was the one thing that put me off it. In comparision my aged Aladin has a very easy to read display, with big ascent rate figures in the centre.

If you do get a Gekko do also get a 'keeper' for it, as i have seen one unbuckle itself...

Al

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Al the old oceanic that I used was very easy to use with very clear asscent rate indicator and only one button to press. It was also water activated so really simple to use dont know why they are not more popular, perhaps someone here can tell me.

Graham

·
I'm a country member
1,477 Posts
have no plans as yet to do anything more complicated.
Oh sure we all said that:)

How did you come to choose your computer?
I did lots of research read magazines and of course YD, talked to my instrutors and LDS, and looked for what most divers were using.

I got a Suunto Vyper and am very happy with it.

·
No longer open water diver
1,319 Posts
How did you come to choose your computer?
A club member was offering his old Aladin Pro Nitrox for sale at a good price, having already used this type underwater i was happy to buy it.

If i was buying again my priorities would be:

1) Customisable/adjustable decompression algorithm, which i understand.

2) Clearly laid out and easily readable screen, minimum information.

3) Nitrox capable with ability to switch to richer mix for decompression.

Have a look around at what else is available, other than Gekko and Oceanic. Do try and future-proof your purchase!

Al

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
oceanic veo180

after a bit more research I have found an oceanic for £169 (new) which I believe will provide with a computer that I can develop with, what do you think?:)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
bargin

Sorry it was a private seller, always a bit risky but I got lucky the computer arrived the day after he recieved payment:) I was looking on ebay today for a PC interface, I noticed a "buy it now seller" with 3 new stingers for £250 each which you might be interested in. Good luck.

·
South African - and proud of it!
180 Posts
Not exactly pretty but the Apeks Quantum should give you everything you could wish for, is easy to read, gives many more functions (including those mentioned above) than the others and can be purchased for less than a Vyper (although slightly more than a Gekko). Just a thought... I have a number of the Veos that I teach with and I find them a bit fiddly and they romp through batteries. The straps also discolour over time. The Gekko is fine but |I do like a backlight...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts