YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

What's the thinking vis-a-vis general dive fitness. Presumably based on the level of diving activity, and other than diving itself, do folk maintain a level of aerobic exersise/gym work as well, throughout the season/year?
cheers

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Well I fully intend to join a gym sometime soon(ish) honest...!

I believe as divers we should have a decent level of cardiovascular fitness, but how many of us can actually claim to be at the standard we should be? Not me for one!

Still, cheers for the reminder.
Steve

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

A very important issue, in my opinion. You don't need to be a well-trained athlete but anybody who dives and is not reasonably fit is putting himself (and his buddy) at risk. Although, or rather because, I'm an ancient git, I go to aerobics twice a week and swim once a week - and I still have 10 kilos overweight! What would I be like if I stopped fitness training? I certainly wouldn't be fit to dive. (I wish I could find a suitable soapbox emoticon for this).

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>I've been gyming quite a bit recently doing about 1500m in the pool per session.

My air consumption has improved and I certainly don't feel as knackered post dive.

I can also get into an old pair of 501s I'd previously given up on.

Results all round.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

Thanks Steve, I'll give it some more serious thought over a pie and a pint.
Seriously though, some of us are not getting any younger (I'm included in the us!) and I thought I should give it some attention. Although I'm fit to dive, I think I need to be a fitter diver as I get older?
I'm rambling...

ps I do not have any shares in a gym of any kind

·
Resident Serbian Sniper
492 Posts
Imported post

As Roger Clark said when they asked him how he trained for the gruelling London-Sydney rally,
"I ran the mile to the pub every night".

Never shock your body,Hobby.

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Last year I worked in Holland during the week and as I was getting in to bad ways i.e. down the pub most nights for a plate of scoff and 3 pints I thought I should do something else. So I joined a gym and did 3 maybe 4 nights a week.
1/2 maybe 3/4 hr on the bike for some cardio then some weights etc to build up the muscles. Results - oh yeah put on 10/12lb round me belly nothing on me muscles and done me shoulder in. I'm with you on this one Hobby. The walk to the pub's more than enough.
Matt

·
Registered
321 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>I would definatly recommend getting down the gym 3-4 times a week, or jogging a couple of miles 4 times a week.  When i first started diving last year i was disgusted with myself for being unable to get my own fins on (thinsulate and dry suit)  As an ex half-marathon runner i was deeply ashamed of how i let myself go.   I have lost a stone now going to the gym and i feel much better lugging all the gear around Stoney and  Crappers.  Still having trouble with the fins but we are getting there.  

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

I find that Bensons and Hedges do some great decompression sticks that sort my dive fitness out. I see it like the athletes who train up mountains because the reduced O2 improves their fitness. I have a *** and walk to the top car park in stoney. Must be doing me some good.

That said, I did have a funny turn when I lit up after 50m in Swithiland. I really should give up.

Has anyone else noticed the much higher percentage of divers who smoke? I've worked in a couple of centres around the world, as well as being at Stoney most weekends, and I reckon we're onto a good 50% at Stoney, and 90 to 95% working overseas.

I've also noticed a trend with divers and motorbikes.

Is it all about taking risks? I thought diving was about being in control, and managing situations. I consider riding a motorbike to be a dangerous business, as well as smoking, so is diving in the same category? I suppose we accept a risk and do it none the less.

Anyone else want to hypothesise on this one? Any serious research been done?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Imported post

I train regularly, i.e, step exercises and weights and I still smoke on occasion.  I am now in my 40's and find that I have to train harder and longer to keep my fitness level up.  If I don't train for a few weeks my fitness level drops very quickly.  This is due to middle age so I am told.  I have this premise that an active smoker is better than a non smoking couch potato.

PS, I ride bikes too, have done since I was 16.

Big Steph (Pan Euro)

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>I strongly recomend joining Pinicals Gym

Then get all the trendy Nike kit

And stand at the bar with your pint and watch all the tallent working out the other side of the glass wall

Its great. You say to the wife 'Just going down the gym love'
and you get browney points rather than Just off to the pub love and getting a slagging.

looking at all that lovley toty  wont improve your diving but you will feel younger and you might decide to invest in some better clothes or a flash car

If your realy past it the heavy breathing induced by the spectical will improve your diaghpram no end. Enevitably you will spend the whole time holding in the tummy incase one of the girls looks at you and thats got to be good toning exercise too

Who said exercise was dull?

Off  to Gozo for a spot of diving  

See ya all

Mark Chase

·
Registered
224 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>surely if your blood is full of nicotine there's less room for nitrogen , hence less narked

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>I just try to avoid to look like a bean bag
.  I don't gym but keep to a half decent dient (i.e a greasy spoon every so often). It's important to be fit in the sense you can finish a dive without feeling you have run the London Marathon, it for your own sake. As I said I don't gym, try to keep to a good diet and when I can the dogs take me for a good walk. If I had the time I would swim and be fitter but in real life I have to work instead. Besides only go to the gym and swim if you enjoy it otherwise you find that you will soon stop going.  

·
C-in-C the Amphibious Contingent
1,421 Posts
Imported post

Well, I don't smoke, try and go to the gym 2/3 times a week and don't eat a lot of rubbish.  I'm not fanatical, but try not to let the flab creep on.  I've just updated my disk which calculates my breathing rate.  Average rate is 15.84 l/m, average last 20 dives is 13.75 l/m. Average depth is 29.77m (according to the disk!) Is that good, bad, or just OK?

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>That interesting. My breathing rate is around 13.5-14.5 SLM. Naturally it is variable with the conditions of the dive but I suppose one can use it as a correlation to your  fitness.  At the start of the season I tend to be 15-16SLM then improves with more dives.

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Imported post

[/QUOTE]That interesting. My breathing rate is around 13.5-14.5 SLM. Naturally it is variable with the conditions of the dive but I suppose one can use it as a correlation to your  fitness.  At the start of the season I tend to be 15-16SLM then improves with more dives.
I smoke like a git, i walked past a gym once and i eat fried red meat every day
. I'm wondering if my breathing rate would improve if i changed my habits and wether it would be worth it?.

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

I smoke, I drink vast amounts (student life) and I don't know how a running machine works. I haven't played any sport for a good 6 months now, and try not to overdo it running between bars on the uni pub run.

Now, my breathing rate averages between 12 and 13. How so? It still confuses me, because I used to be a bit of an air hog, and now I'm not. No action taken, it just happened.

Thatsaid, I burned the air this week at Stoney. Go through 140 bar on my twin 7s when my buddies came out having used 160/170 on a 15 and a 12l single. The cold did shock me, after my positively summery 11/12 degrees in cornwall last week!

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Imported post

Where in Cornwall were you last week?. I only got 9 degrees in Plymouth (nearly Cornwall). I think the Devils point walk is a half marathon when kitted up. You have to to stop halfway there and have a sit down and a ***

1 - 20 of 20 Posts