YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning all,

I was at Vobster yesterday as the coast was blown out and dived with one of my BSAC club members who has just got himself a Submatix (currently in scr mode), following on from that I have a couple of general questions which I was hoping somebody could help with.

1. how are people routing the ppO2 gauge?
currently he has it coming out of the bottom of the unit, it then has to run up the side of the unit, over his shoulder & down to his wrist. Unfortunately its not quite long enough to do this comfortably (& why on earth aren't there some sort of loops in the BC for it to pass through nice & neatly?). The other alternative is for to go straight from the bottom of the unit to his wrist, but this leaves a nice big loop waiting to get caught up.

2. what are people doing with the pressure gauges?
these hoses are huge! I presume the idea is to loop them up & clip them off on the chest at some point. Is there a point built into the BC for this?

3. what are the default settings for the hi & lo ppO2 warnings?
he had to abort the 2nd dive as he kept getting a lo warning on entry. However, he was diving with a 32% mix and the 15 lpm valve, which was giving ~27% in the bag why would he be getting a lo warning at 3 m?

4. has anybody worked out a way to put a wing on this?

5. what sort of weights are people running with in the top of the unit?
his trim was not very good on Sunday, I think that he had 2*1kg blocks up at the head end, but from his in-water position it looked like he needed more.

apologies if these questions have been asked before.

cheers,
Paul

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Sub / weighting / trim

I was at Vobster yesterday as the coast was blown out and dived with one of my BSAC club members who has just got himself a Submatix (currently in scr mode), following on from that I have a couple of general questions which I was hoping somebody could help with.

currently he has it coming out of the bottom of the unit, it then has to run up the side of the unit, over his shoulder & down to his wrist. Unfortunately its not quite long enough to do this comfortably (& why on earth aren't there some sort of loops in the BC for it to pass through nice & neatly?). The other alternative is for to go straight from the bottom of the unit to his wrist, but this leaves a nice big loop waiting to get caught up.
OK, mine's mCCR but in principal the same...
I route the cable(s) down the unit, past the O2 cylinder back up the side of the unit, using the case velcro to secure the cable half way. I then have a small loop of innertube around the inhale port which the cable(s) pass through

these hoses are huge! I presume the idea is to loop them up & clip them off on the chest at some point. Is there a point built into the BC for this?
I have a double-ended pistol-clip I use to clip the 2 gauges together - I also clip the O2 booster to these (mCCR)

he had to abort the 2nd dive as he kept getting a lo warning on entry. However, he was diving with a 32% mix and the 15 lpm valve, which was giving ~27% in the bag why would he be getting a lo warning at 3 m?
I think they're set to ppO2 of 0.30 and 1.30

I have a [email protected] wing on my unit - works great

his trim was not very good on Sunday, I think that he had 2*1kg blocks up at the head end, but from his in-water position it looked like he needed more.
a) I have 2 x 2Kg weights in the top of mine
b) If you over-weight on your belt, then trim can be a bugger. Bearing in mind that full>empty is approx 2 x 2L x 200B x 1.1g, i.e. less than 1Kg, then weighting should be such that with the wing/bc empty you should be slightly heavy - 1Kg of gas isn't going to make a huge difference

Regards

Nick

Kepp asking Qs or PM me if you want to ask something on the qt

·
Going down and loving it
831 Posts
Morning all,

I have mine coming out of a hole in the top of the unit the looped
a few times around my right arm to take up the length

One over each shoulder the clipped together in front of me

How odd might be worth taking a look at the O2 cell or re calibrating it.

Got mine on a Poseidon wing. Drilled holes in the subby case and bolted it right onto the wing.

3Kg molded subby block in the shoulders and a few kg on a weight belt

apologies if these questions have been asked before.

cheers,
Paul

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
he had to abort the 2nd dive as he kept getting a lo warning on entry. However, he was diving with a 32% mix and the 15 lpm valve, which was giving ~27% in the bag why would he be getting a lo warning at 3m?
Just thought - if the mix/injector combination was giving a bag mix of 27% then the Oxys would be screaming - the ppo2 on the surface would be 0.27 and at 3m it'd be 0.351 so depending on the pre-breathe and how hard he was breathing the ppo2 could have dropped below 0.30 causing the problem

·
Registered
67 Posts
hoses, guages ect

Hi, have some close up pics of my unit which I can email to you which might help, haven't got the hang of this picture sending bit on YD yet. I use an OMS twin bladder wing with a comfort harness and OMS weight pouches on the shoulders and on the waist belt, low profile kevlar contents guage hoses, the new typ cell holder & console for the oxy's and I've made some minor mods to the hoses to reduce kinking around the first stages. Recently fitted ally brackets to each side and presently working on the plumbing for Trimix. Hope to be adding a HUD shortly but still undecided on which computer to go for.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.