YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

An idea to raise money for the RNLI

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
A Moderate from 04/01/07-24/12/12
11,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi you generous YD'ers. (Thats the grovelling over and done with )
A few people have sent some good ideas and some of these are being looked into. One idea I would like to put past you lot is:- that we all become Ebay sellers for one item of dive kit on a set date and place the item up for sale for 7 days and donate the proceeds to the YD RNLI fund.

Thanks for your help
Yaz

·
Registered
8,035 Posts
Hi you generous YD'ers. (Thats the grovelling over and done with )
A few people have sent some good ideas and some of these are being looked into. One idea I would like to put past you lot is:- that we all become Ebay sellers for one item of dive kit on a set date and place the item up for sale for 7 days and donate the proceeds to the YD RNLI fund.

Thanks for your help
Yaz

Sounds interesting!

When did you change your name to "Yaz", Mal?

·
I am a person NOT a number
7,710 Posts
Do something else! why not donate a peace of kit to some one to sell on as a shop list better than to crash eBay and do other proper punters out of there sales.set up a list on here .
I am not sure I understand what you are suggesting. What is a shop list? Would it be easy to work out how much is sold and for what amount using this list? And wouldnt YD'ers still be proper punters selling as an individual seller? If everyone put on their description of the item that monies will be donated to YD RNLI fund people will have a choice whether to bid for the item or not. So I dont think it will be doing 'proper punters out of sales'.

Thanks for your suggestion.

G

·
0 Posts
I voted 'Yes I would be happy to sell a bit of kit' but I'm having second thoughts about selling anything ;)

G

·
0 Posts
I've got "the box" that was originally started by milldog, filled with a variety of goodies (probably 12/15 items), I've had two items out and put three in

that could go for auction if you wanted it

·
Rapidly expanding member
285 Posts
Wasn't the idea of the box to pass it on and people donate as it goes round - I might have got that totally wrong...

Also on Ebay you can always sell things and donate a percentage to a chosen charity. As the RNLI have asked that we send an e mail identifying funds when we pay into the account anyway I guess the person selling on Ebay could just do that. Hope that makes sense - has been a long day!

·
Extracting the Urine
4,056 Posts
I've got "the box" that was originally started by milldog, filled with a variety of goodies (probably 12/15 items), I've had two items out and put three in

that could go for auction if you wanted it
Have you not sold that box yet fatboy

·
Getting Grumpy, Old and Twisted
3,115 Posts
Wasn't the idea of the box to pass it on and people donate as it goes round - I might have got that totally wrong...

Also on Ebay you can always sell things and donate a percentage to a chosen charity. As the RNLI have asked that we send an e mail identifying funds when we pay into the account anyway I guess the person selling on Ebay could just do that. Hope that makes sense - has been a long day!
I've used the following to identify my Yorkshire Divers bank credit transfer the RNLI account: YD RNLI FJP and then sent an e-mail confirmation. I have received an acknowledgement back from the RNLI so I guess all is well. It should show up with the same identity on their account.

·
Getting Grumpy, Old and Twisted
3,115 Posts
Regarding doing something else, how about we have a spidge auction.
I have a 4" brass fairlead that I found off Mulion Cove in Cornwall and a brass engine cooling circuit plate given to me by a diver I worked with many years ago.
It doesn't have to be just spidge, anything nautical/dive related could be auctioned.
We list all the stuff and then put private bids (via PM) to the auctioneer and then the highest bid by the closing date gets the stuff.
The vendor picks up the postage cost and the buyer makes the donation to the RNLI.

I have participated in such an auction several times with one the preservation groups I belong to and it works well.

·
13.05.2012 QPRmageddon Day
1,948 Posts
Myself and pieater saved money for the RNLI today by actually getting back to shore without any assistance from them:teeth:
I think in the past my donation for "the box" went to the RNLI or to Sparkys holiday fund/best man speech website registration.

·
I am a person NOT a number
7,710 Posts
Come on you lot...........there are currently 55 members online. Please give me an idea what people would prefer. I have been told that ebay charge a selling fee but I aim waiting to hear from them if so we might go with Frankies idea.

·
Beach-bum-Blonde Mafia ;o)
6,935 Posts
Come on you lot...........there are currently 55 members online. Please give me an idea what people would prefer. I have been told that ebay charge a selling fee but I aim waiting to hear from them if so we might go with Frankies idea.
I like Frankies idea (I have to say that ;)), however being out here makes things a bit difficult for me.

I could do with something nice and small and 'brassy' for my bathroom though, if anyone has anything that might be suitable?

Reactions: Frankie Price

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
I could do with something nice and small and 'brassy' for my bathroom though, if anyone has anything that might be suitable?
A porthole? ;)

Safe diving,
Steve

P.S.or Bouyant babe ;)

·
Beach-bum-Blonde Mafia ;o)
6,935 Posts
A porthole? ;)

Safe diving,
Steve
I already have windows Steve, thanks very much - but would a porthole convert nicely into a mirror perhaps? ;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts