YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

George gave this lecture dated 18/5/2002,
an enjoyable read, which from me is about as complimentary as I can get.
This is not intended to start a DIR bash or praise thread.

Words from George to ponder

·
PSAI Instructor Trainer
199 Posts
Imported post

You know a lot of the DIR bit makes a lot of sense..

Its a path I could follow if it was'nt for the feeling you need to be 'converted to all or nothing' and the the thought I would have to roll me trouser legs up and put a halcyon penknife in my right nipple.

though I can understand the appeal of that to some.... especially posh cockney's Mathew.

Ian

·
3,293 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ian Price @ June 10 2003,12:45)]You know a lot of the DIR bit makes a lot of sense..

Its a path I could follow if it was'nt for the feeling you need to be 'converted to all or nothing' and the the thought I would have to roll me trouser legs up and put a halcyon penknife in my right nipple.

though I can understand the appeal of that to some.... especially posh cockney's Mathew.

Ian
<font color='#0000FF'>Hi

I don't understand why you say you need to be 'converted'.

To plan dives better, to be a safer diver, to have more fun, to have basic, reliable equipment, is what I hope everyone wants to be.

In my opinon it pulls together all that the other agencies are 'trying' to achieve and stop the marketing companies deciding how we dive.

Kindest Regards

WL

PS Yes Matt, I have read it and it has a lot of useful info in it.

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wetlettuce @ June 10 2003,13:04)]I don't understand why you say you need to be 'converted'.

To plan dives better, to be a safer diver, to have more fun, to have basic, reliable equipment, is what I hope everyone wants to be.
Fine senitiments until you read your signature:

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]WARNING: DIR Wannabee: Not to be taken too seriously
"If you're gonna do it, Do It Right!!"
I appreciate that this is probably 'tongue in cheek' but to claim that only DIR 'do it right' is simply bollocks. That would imply there is an ultimate 'truth' about diving and that only through solid belief, shunning all others, can you hope to meet salvation (hallelulah!). Diving is an evolving sport - there is no ultimate truth therefore there is no right way to do it. There ARE many WRONG ways to do it though and DIR has identified many good tips and rationals but to simply label those who do not accept ALL their doctrine as wrong is where the arguments will start to come.

Remember,when you segregate a community into a 'them and us' situation, conflict will always result.

I use many of the kit configurations DIR recommend, I use many that they don't. Thats my choice and I can defend my kit as well as anyone else can attack it.

Sorry this has turned into a bit of a rant - tough day at work so far!!

·
3,293 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Heads Up @ June 10 2003,14:01)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]WARNING: DIR Wannabee: Not to be taken too seriously
"If you're gonna do it, Do It Right!!"
I appreciate that this is probably 'tongue in cheek' but to claim that only DIR 'do it right' is simply bollocks.
<font color='#0000FF'>Hi

HeadsUp, It is completely tongue in cheek, and has more to do with another little saying I was taught by my parents which is 'If its worth doing then its worth doing well'. It was quite ironic when I first heard the term DIR. There are a number of ways to do anything successfully, its just a slogan as I've said before. Anyone who doesn't use DiveRite products is obviously diving wrong. Anyone who doesn't use ScubaPro products is obviously amateurish, by your 'assumed implication'. No ones attacking anyone. No ones being segregated, no more so than training with different agencies. My point was that I don't feel that I was or am being 'converted'.

My signature, a bit of fun. I'm sure that well before all this nonsense some businessman or politician has come out with that statement. It can't be anything new surely. I was hoping it might let people know I'm not having a dig at them and might prevent posts such as this one. People also know my interests straightaway and so can ignore my posts safe in the knowledge that I am only quoting George Irvine and have no free will of my own
I'll remove it if you wish.

Anyway, onto Georges lecture... Good, wannit ??

Kindest Regards

WL

PS And I agree, work is always bad

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Outstanding! I only had to read the first page to have all my views on George confirmed:

1) he really is a genuinely obnoxious  person, but at least he explains howhe came to be that way (he thinks it's ok to be that way because that's how Parker Turner treated him)
2) He is incapable of adaptation - see "I won't drive in the Cayman Islands" quote.

Nothing new about proteges adopting the unpleasant charateristics of their mentor, everyone heard of Crick and Watson ? you know the DNA guys...? Well, the defining characteristic of James Watson is his overbearing arrogance, which tends to be adopted by all his students.  I once worked (thankfully very briefly) with  someone who  had done his PhD with Watson, what an arrogant and unrepentant tosspot he is, and he's sure that being this way is the right way to act to people around him... people, eh

·
9,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imported post

Bad day Steve?
In fairness though GI does admit that a lot of what they do now is because people got killed doing it another way so they have refined/developed over the years with the underpinning message of safety above all else (in his opinion). In some ways its very similar to the way our Police ride their bikes they have developed a system over a number of years and dont want some Johnny come lately making them start from scratch again. Now whilst that System might work for them it doesnt necesarily work for all of us, but that doesnt make us any less safe, just different. But if you undermine any of the System you undermine it all and anarchy rules.
I think thats a damn fine analogy.  

Which is probably why coppera are arrogant sods too,

Anyway Steve if GI cant handle driving on the wrong side of the road (and he's supposedly pretty bright by US standards) is it any wonder he sticks to things he knows until they kill one of his team.

Matt

Matt

·
PSAI Instructor Trainer
199 Posts
Imported post

Steve

If we take on the character traits of out mentors and trainers, does it mean that quite a few of us will have to buy farming wellies and a small dog that keeps leggin-it prior to you getting in the water.

I am concerned about being able to run up a fell at that speed in a dry suit??

and lettuce ....the above mentioned farmer taught me to calulate my surface consumption rate, to compute this with a planned bottom time and pressure value, taking into account both ascent and descent profiles and estimated times, factoring in the need for deep ( beginning at 80% of max depth) and safety/deco stops.

Does this constitute the ability to dive plan??

He also suggested I have a back up timer, to back up my Vyper, and carry a set of tables with some thought to variability in planning.

However, he didnt say that I had to take everything he said as gospel, in fact he welcomed different approaches and the chance to learn himself.

Ps. we were going to do a DIR module on how to have fun on your dives, but due to the joke telling session finishing early when the whippet legged it off to the other end of Wastwater it got postponed

Your right its all in fun and luckily we are all cognitive organic individuals with the ability to have and to use, if we will, free thought. Therefore we can choose to accept or reject information based on our experience, logic and undoubtably our own prejudices.. Georges lecture was interesting and as I said lots of good points,

shame he cant come to the UK and give it. I presume its something to do with the side of the road we drive on and that his electric razor doesn't like the voltage??

Ian

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ian Price @ June 10 2003,16:37)]If we take on the character traits of out mentors and trainers, does it mean that quite a few of us will have to buy farming wellies and a small dog that keeps leggin-it prior to you getting in the water.
<font color='#0000FF'>Well I've  been thinking going bleach-blond  just for starters

The trouble with Georgie-boy is that he obviously doesn't understand that once you've gotten someone's back up they are then unreceptive to any good stuff in what you have to say. Fortunately (?!?)  I read some dir oriented stuff before I got irritated by his stroke-related angst so I feel I've heard the good points in that philosophy with a fairly ambivalent state of mind, I just don't ever need to read that phrase "stroke-shit" again, ho hum... great language skills George.
Chee-az
steve

·
9,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Imported post

Steve
have you read his rant about Weezles, oh a classic if ever there was one.
Matt

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Heard about it, never read it..
Is it anything like the one about Inspirations?

EDIT:

Have read it now. It's a good'n, isn't it?

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

http://www.tue.org.uk/UNDERSUITS.htm

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wetlettuce @ June 10 2003,15:55)]HeadsUp, It is completely tongue in cheek, and has more to do with another little saying I was taught by my parents which is 'If its worth doing then its worth doing well'.... My signature, a bit of fun.  ...I'll remove it if you wish.
Nah - tongue in cheek is fine (especially if its a blonde bimbo's in mine  
). like I said, BAD day at work. Still, diving tomorrow for the first time in 7 weeks!! (with a certain 'farmer' no less).

Yeah!!!

·
9,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Imported post

Best of luck on the dive,
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]blonde bimbo's in mine  
didnt StevW say he was going blonde, and diving with a well-known farmer, steady!

Matt

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dominic @ June 10 2003,17:18)]http://www.tue.org.uk/UNDERSUITS.htm
<font color='#000080'>Ummmm

I can't stand these people who sit on the fence  

Daz,

P.S WL I know it can seem like a battering at time but as long as YOUR system works for you great.  I have adopted some of the elements of DIR as I have other peoples systems.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Chee-az Dom, just read it  

I'm a tad concerned that George seems to be  diving with an undersuit made of plastic explosives though  

BTW, he is once again wrong, or at least foisting his generalizations onto other people based on his own experiences -  a wet thinsulate does allow you to get cold, or maybe that's just lesser mortals like myself.
Or maybe George is hard enough to walk around the Bigg Market in a t-shirt in February like Geordie lasses  

Chee-az
steve

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Sorry Dudes,

I refuse to get embroiled in this mince at any material stage.

In fact I stopped reading (on here or anywhere else) any arse about so-called 'DIR' practise a long time ago.

Someone above, I think Stevie Walker, said it 'right' when he entoned that it doesn't matter how worthy, practical, safety or commonsense-based your theories might be, if you've got a complete and utter card-carrying twat espousing them, then guess what: folk are gonna turn off and and treat you like the enemy - regardless of how unreasonable and irrational that might appear!

When will folk cotton-on to the experienced-based fact (and, having both lived and worked there, the VERY commomly used US methodology of marketing a product!!!)  that it is the very act of putting an unremitting ring-piece like GI3 in to bat as your marketing mouth-piece that causes the stir that attracts the turning heads who then listen to this gash! An object lesson in 'loud noise creates white-noise'.

OK, there are some workable and straight forward precepts in the so-called 'DIR' philosophy (just as there are in many other diving practisces - which have been around a lot longer), but alas, those who try and sell (which is ALL the 'DIR' mob is doing at the end of the day) a concept on the basis of "I shout therefore I am" will always meet with the Glasgow vernacular retort of 'Oh, ya think so??' quickly followed by a rye grin and an intermezzo-trot in the direction that the 'DIR'-wallah isn't going.

In felix ego ****.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts