YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Righty then, Pop Pickers,

I've floated this trip :idea: to Dave yesterday :approve_2: in a response on 'Surface Interval' So what's the scoop?

One of my Instructor friends has done this dive a few times and rates it a good-un :thumb:

He reckons that we should be able to dive her in the July time frame as she's in a restricted area off Anglesey, near the oil-fields.

About 18 metres to the sand - good Nitrox option - with the conning tower close by (ripped off in a wire-search by the RN after they lost her, towing her back to Liverpool during the war. This info is from memory, so I'll check them and post the accurate stuff after speaking to da man.

So, put your hats in the ring and when we've got a solid number of heads, then I can get the ball rolling.

For those that want to make a weekend of it, there are a shed-load of other wrecks (I've got a book with at least 25 other's details in it) around this part of the Welsh coast.

Wha'd'ya say??

·
Gone...and probably best forgotten
1,403 Posts
Imported post

once again, if I'm not working I'll do it.

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

Hi Guys,

Sorry for not responding earlier: just got in after a large night of a couple of polite medium-sweet sherries and assorted Indian nose-bag
 Sad git that I am, I'm having a Butcher's at me emails

In answer to your messages, yes, I'll try and get as much detail as I can this weekend about the planned gig. Some of the dives might be relatively deep (40 - 60 metres), depending on which wrecks get chosen or suggested.

If any of you have particular wrecks in the area that you fancy, please let me know so I can weld them in to the itinerary. Conversely, please let me know if you're not OK with these depths/gas mixes and we'll square away wrecks/sites that are to the general liking.

I will be diving at Devil's Bridge this weekend with most of the crowd that usually turn out - a late start as some of the troops are doing the perfectly preserved Lancaster Bomber in Wastwater at 79 metres, before the Bridge, so deco time kicks in - helmets, current (presently 9 knots and counting) and last will and testament permitting ;)  Huston, we may have a problem!! Failing that, we'll just go and do Vivian - Oh, the fun in the tunnel.

So, next posting I hope to have more info that'll give you all an indicative script on pricing, accom, expectations, requirements of divers etc. If anyone has any questions at any time, please just fire them in and I'll get answers to them.

To those I won't meet until the day, I hope you go large and enjoy Abbs.

Dive safe all,

PS: In answer to parahandy's questions: WW2 U-boat; mined/depth-charged and brought to the surface and couldn't re-submerge; U-boat Captain, if it's the same one, had his hand shot off in the scrap and then shot himself after ordering all hands off the boat. Sound familiar?

(Edited by Bren Tierney at 4:25 am on May 25, 2002)

(Edited by Bren Tierney at 4:28 am on May 25, 2002)

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

Well I won't be diving to 60m on a single 15 filled with air.... :jpshakehead:

I've not reached the dizzy heights of tekkiness yet, still working on THAT one.... But once I complete the deal to sell one of my children to a very desperate couple from Kazistan I'll be able to afford the rig and the training that I want......

Oh wait up.... the wife's just informed me that I'm not allowed to sell the kid... jeez!

Dave.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Imported post

Same here 60m out of my depth,
Bren when you mentioned
"About 18 metres to the sand - good Nitrox option - with the conning tower close by (ripped off in a wire-search by the RN"
Must have misunderstood.:shocked:

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Imported post

Whooohaaa Guys!!!

18 metres to the sand is where this puppy is at. Confirmed the details tonight after cancelling the Devil's Bridge dive, as weather was near suicidal !!

Just offered the depths in the previous email (as I said) to see what you guys were/weren not/are comfy with. No point in me booking gigs when I'm out-bounding the rest of the troop! Wouldn't that amount to solo diving?? Never!

That's fine. There are more than enough wrecks in the range we've talked about - days and day's worth - for all us to go large and go plenty. Most of the area, between the Isle of Man and Anglesey, has more than enough for us to work knowned marks and fill our boots on - even without the known depths/wrecks!

After all, often better that the wreck we're gonna dive isn't in the local wreck books; otherwise we turn up and find other dive boats in the area, eh ;)!!

So, are we still up for this? We can state 15 wrecks off the bat that are in the 15 to 34 metre range. 'Our' U-boat's the prime target as it's hardly ever dived and a 'mark' regularly missed off the Hydrographic Charts or the Admiralty issue. Adds a frisson of 'let's play', don't you think?

We're thinking of Saturday 13th or Sunday 14th of July as a date. Once we get the nod from you guys then we can start to get boats booked and prices/accom cost posted.

Throw your hats in the ring for the gig and let us know that you're up for it. Anyone with any questions, please give me a shout on TEL: 07764 - 174647 and I'll fill in the gaps and give answers to any questions.

Cheers,

·
Gone...and probably best forgotten
1,403 Posts
Imported post

AAAGH!!  I'm working both days!  Can't it be the 20th July?  PLEASE?(or 27th & 28th?)

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

Oi! I thought we were booking the Farnes trip on the 27-28 to fit around your bloody shifts..... make yer mind up boy...  ;)

Well it's not set in stone yet so we can soon change it, lemme know.

Dave

·
Banned
217 Posts
Imported post

I'm a bit concerned about plans to dive 60 metres without building up lots of experience in the 40, 50 and 60 metre range and certainly the need for trimix. Whether you use trimix via a recognised ticket or not is not important but 60 is too deep on air to be reasonably competent should the sh*t hit the fan.

I MUST state that I would never advocate deep diving with new people until you've gone through a series of "work up" dives prior to attempting anything in the range of which you describe. Perhaps you were planning that anyway, just thought I'd reiterate the point.

Also, I was planning to dive the U boat with Andy and it was discussed in January this year. At that time there were definitely no hard boats in the area, I probably couldn't make it anyway due to other stuff going on that time. If you know to the contrary and there is indeed a hard boat there then count me in. Do you have some other info regarding how intact the U-boat is etc? What's the U-boat number? I'll post a link later to a site detailing loads of good U boat stuff, have to dig it out first. Cheers.

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Imported post

Hi Andy2tanx and others,

The dates I've posted for this gig are provisional. I'm still awaiting the update from the others we usually dive with. The hard boat is out of Fleetwood, although there are others.

As for distance, it's about 18/19 miles out of Fleetwood with a one hour boat journey time. Sorry for any conflicting info that I might have posted - I'm writing this whilst being on the phone to the man that knows.

More when I have it.

Cheers,

(Edited by Bren Tierney at 1:04 pm on May 27, 2002)

·
Banned
217 Posts
Imported post

Are the dates provisional on the basis that Andy possibly has a course on the suggested dates? If so, can some alternatives be discussed?
cheers

·
The Artist formerly known as 'Kirky'
2,228 Posts
Imported post

I`m up for this provided its not the 19/20/21 July

1 - 17 of 17 Posts