YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, here I am in a hotel in Germany for the week. Outside the lift is a vending machine for drinks. Bearing in mind that I live in the Middle East I was surprised to find beer in the machine. I was even more surprised to see it was the same price as the coke.
Don't suppose I will be drinking much coke this trip then.......

Ah the joys of pork and alcohol.

Neil
ps McDs sell beer as well......

·
Nefarious Activist
2,298 Posts
So, here I am in a hotel in Germany for the week. Outside the lift is a vending machine for drinks. Bearing in mind that I live in the Middle East I was surprised to find beer in the machine. I was even more surprised to see it was the same price as the coke.
Don't suppose I will be drinking much coke this trip then.......

Ah the joys of pork and alcohol.

Neil
ps McDs sell beer as well......
I went to Hamburg in '82/'83 on HMS Hermes, we found a "bar" near the dockyard that consisted of beer machines and pool tables. At this time the mark coin was the same size as an old UK 5p piece, after 5 days or so the ship had to refund the unhappy bar owner for all the 5p pieces he had received in exchange for beer. You couldn't find any more 5p pieces anywhere onboard, it was fun whilst it lasted.

Ian

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
An Omani 50bz coin is the same size and weight as a UAE 1dhs coin. All the vending machines in Dubai end up full of 50bz coins of a weekend.

The 50bz coin is worth half what a 1dhs coin is.

I find it interesting that in Oman I see posters offering councelling for alcoholics but I have not seen one in a country where beer is so easy to obtain.

My name is Neil and I am a porkaholic....

·
PADI Internet Specialty Diver
10,679 Posts
Ahhhh.. Germany..

In the UK the sad old twat Daily Mail blue rinse brigade would have the machine shut down for encouraging underage drinking :D

In town we have condom machines... (this is a catholic country)

By the lake we have a self-service machine to fill tanks at €2 a pop...

We still have cigarette vending machines in the train stations and bus stations....

I've no idea what McDonalds sells (other than the disgusting shit they claim is food of course ;)).

Chris

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
I went to Hamburg in '82/'83 on HMS Hermes, we found a "bar" near the dockyard that consisted of beer machines and pool tables. At this time the mark coin was the same size as an old UK 5p piece, after 5 days or so the ship had to refund the unhappy bar owner for all the 5p pieces he had received in exchange for beer. You couldn't find any more 5p pieces anywhere onboard, it was fun whilst it lasted.

Ian
Its a small world, i was stationed just south of Hamburg from 81-86 so may well have been drinking in the St Pauli district of Hamburg, on the Reperbahn at the same time as you :)

·
Nefarious Activist
2,298 Posts
Its a small world, i was stationed just south of Hamburg from 81-86 so may well have been drinking in the St Pauli district of Hamburg, on the Reperbahn at the same time as you :)

Yes, drinking, I certainly didn't do anything else on the Reperbahn :embarassed:

Ian

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The world is getting smaller.....

In 1985 the (future) wife and I took beer trip to Hamburg by boat.

It wasn't you I drunkenly stumbled into on Saturday night was it? I am sorry for knocking the chips out of your hand.

Neil

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
Maccers sell beer here in Portugal. Goes down better than the oversweetened sugar loaded coke. Also it's draught beer but it's a pity its served in the plastic cups.

A trip to Germany when I was 18 with my best friend we brought a couple dozens cans, drank the lot and didn't feel pissed, had a look at the end of drinking the gnats piss to read 'nein alcohol':angry:

A while back I went to a vending machine to grab a chocolate bar, the bar duely dropped to the tray below where it was covered in stagnet fermenting vomit, that was really gross.

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Yes, drinking, I certainly didn't do anything else on the Reperbahn :embarassed:

Ian
:eek:mg: You mean there were 'other' things to do on the Reperbahn :eek: other than drinking :eek:mg:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.