YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

Get my wings !

3K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  Dominic 
#1 ·
Imported post

Ok, going to go down the harness/wing route shortly (funds permitting !) and am looking at ...D/R Transpac 11, OMS ( IQ or S/S backplate) or ?? The Scubapro RecTek seems ok too.

Now do I go for the soft systems like Dive Rite or S/pro or the IQ or stainless steel - I've used the Dive Rite and found liked it though it was only with a single and one dive - any thoughts or guidance as to where my cash should go or why I should go for a hard backplate ?

Thanks in advance !
Paul

#2 ·
Imported post

JJ
I have a IQ pack (no wing) with an ABS backplate that I am about to advertise, you can have it for what I paid, £120.00. Personaly I tried it a few times and decided that I would go for the 'plain' SS back plate, as I didn't like all the clutter. The difficulty I had was with the SS back plate and harness. Horrendous, then spoke to andy2tanx who explained that I'd had the harness adjusted too tightly.
I think you need some-one to visualy explain the pit falls.

#3 ·
Imported post

I have an OMS single bladder with SS backplate and basic harness. Like Andy says, I avoided the IQ harness because of unnecessary clutter but I am going to make my own harness from webbing to make it even simpler. I currently have my wing bungeed and find no problems orally inflating it under water. I can always remove them at a later date if I decide to.

Why a SS backplate? Takes weight off my belt and I dive with twin 15s so it gives added durability.

If we meet up on a dive you can gladly give it a try and see what you think.

(Edited by Heads Up at 10:36 pm on Oct. 25, 2002)

#5 ·
Imported post

I thought you were on 12's Jay?

#7 ·
Imported post

I thought it might have been Mr Heads Up I saw at Devils Bridge when the Twin 15s were mentioned ;). I can't imagine what the twin 20s of Andy's are like for hugging around.

jjflash. I will get the p*** taken out of me for this but. Have you checked out www.narkedat60.com. No I am not on commision.

#8 ·
Imported post

I called at Narkedat60 and spoke to the owner, who has, I say politely 'his own views' of how things should be done some of which are not exactly accurate.
I also found that most of the things sold can be obtained under the 'correct' badging at a reduction in cost.
All in all I wasn't impressed and was sorry after all the posts I had read about the shop.

#9 ·
Imported post

My two cents worth:
I've got an OMS 100lb bladder (in red) with the IQ pack + Ali backplate, DWH did a decent deal on the package which swung it for me.

Re "clutter" of IQ, which model of IQ? mine is from earlier this year and doesn't have the built in pockets of the previous model (which admittedly does look a bit "busy").

FWIW,I picked this set up because: I wanted something that would take twins or a single depending on my mood; didn't want to pay 60+ quid for the single-tank adaptor; and wanted something I could "comfortably" use in warm water diving. I'd been warned that the backplate was a bit chilly without a drysuit. Plus like other wing systems eg Zeagle, the IQ is easy to don/doff and doesn't require the same approach to setting up the webbing (which prompted an instructor buddy of mine to get his Zeagle).

Of course, if you're not bothered about the same criteria as me, then the bladder/webbing/backplate combo will be much cheaper than the IQ/bladder package.
Cheers
Steve

#11 ·
Imported post

I'm afraid? my IQ pack is the earlier one, with the integrated wieght pockets, I'm not saying there is anyhing wrong with the system, it just doesn't suit the 'clean clear' type of diving system I want to try. But it does make getting the pack on a doddle.

#13 ·
Imported post

Cheers guys !
Still thinking - probably moving towards the backplate/webbing rather than the IQ though, it looks much cleaner (Andy W thanks for the offer mate - may still go that way so I'll come back 2 you if you still have it!)

Having said all that, there's always the CD stuff to look at too !

Think I'll blag another go on the mates Transpac at Wast this coming w/end  anyhow!

Dive safe all
Paul

#14 ·
Imported post

Just another thought ...

What about Halcyon? Not as expensive as you might think and well regarded by many here including our technical moderator Andy Dalesdiver.

#19 ·
Imported post

Yes, it's a nigel plate.....

I think Dommie uses one?

To do a hyperlink type {url=*http://www.insertlinkhere*}Link name{/url} but replace the {} with [] and without the **

So for the backplate, you would go to Nigel's

Good eh? ;)

(Edited by Driftwood at 3:55 pm on Oct. 31, 2002)

#25 ·
Imported post

A word of warning with plates, I have the OMS plate, but decided that I fancied the handle to lift the wing and cylinders, so having seen the Portland Oceaneering back plate at the dive show aquired one.
It won't fit the OMS wing I have, as the plate is a little larger all round.
Portland Oceaneering say that it was actually designed around the Diverite wings.

Just be careful about the questions you ask.
So anyone out there want a new backplate and harness for their Diverite wing?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.