YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
I Came on Eileen!!!
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always been of the opinion that we as divers should share experiences (good or bad) so that others may learn something.
Anyway, just got back from a weekend in Baltimore with Aquaventures. We were diving Kedge Island and included in the brief was head south for depth and North towards the Island for shallower water.
We (3 of us) wanted some depth as we were to dive the U260 the following morning and asked to be dropped in to 35m and we would work shallow.
When we reached the bottom we were at 38m and when we started to fin North, we realised that there was a strong current (we were going backwards) and that the only option was to abandon the dive.
So after a nice controlled ascent we reached the surface and noticed that we had drifted quite a distance and that there was a fairly large swell building. In between troughs we could see that the boat had not yet seen us despite having SMB's and was getting further away fast.
So anyway, we linked up so as not to get separated and made the decision to use red smoke to signal our position to the skipper.
After a few seconds we could see the boat on it's way and even though there was no panic, it was a great relief to be seen.
When back on board we asked the skipper how far we had drifted south and he said it was approx 1 mile, and that he would not have seen us in the swell but for the red smoke.
So for the sake of a relatively cheap piece of kit (approx €50) we avoided what could have been a worrying time for all, not to mention a costly search involving coast guard/local boats etc.
I would therefore encourage all divers to carry a surface kit of some kind as we did, and to include a day/night flare which has a flare on one end and smoke on the other and some snap lights etc. Make sure these items are included in buddy checks also.
You never need these things until you need them and after last weekend, there are a boat load of people who will be buying them for starters!!!

·
New Member ? Its the same one i've always had
704 Posts
Some questions.

Thanks for the post!
What make of flares do you have ?
Do you carry them loose or in a sealed container of some sort ?
What sort of depth can you carry them to ?

Keith

·
I Came on Eileen!!!
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The flares I use are called Signal Distress Day and Night No1 Mk4 by Pains Wessex Ltd.
I usually carry them in my drysuit pocket with snap lights and a strobe torch, all bound with a rubber band to keep them together.
Although they do not have a depth rating printed on them, I have taken them to max 45m which would be as deep as I would go myself.

·
WHOO HOO...look free mask and smorkel thingy.....
1,647 Posts
right on scubagit i carry one always in a watertight canister as the flare is only recomended to 30ish mtrs and its atached to the back of the BC i havent had to use it but im glad to know its there. a whistle dont do much good in the howling wind but you wont miss the smoke not in a long shot.
greens to the max on the way.

·
00.00 hrs
905 Posts
Used to carry one of those myself untill it went out of date (by 1.5 yrs) and stupidly did not replace it. Top of the shopping list now!!

BTW I never put it in a canister, but re greased the "O" rings regularly and it did several trips past its rated depth. When the CG blew it after I handed it to them it lit perfectly.

Hats-off to Pains Wessex and top post Scubagit, thanks.

Safe Diving
Midnight

·
I Came on Eileen!!!
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just as a matter of interest, didn't get to dive the U260 as the weather turned to Shite, and the lovely bow on the Kowloon has collapsed and is in bleedin tatters!!!

·
Mod 2.5 apparently
703 Posts
Where did you get these flares and what sort of price are we talking about ?

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts

·
I Came on Eileen!!!
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's the baby all right. Looks lke the canister is the way to go to ensure it's dry. Like I said I have had mine to 45m and no problems firing the other day.....But you never know!!!
Cannot recommend enough!!!!!!!!

·
I came, I saw, I dived
552 Posts
If you get the metal canister to go with it it's waterproof to 150m. Should cope with most YD'ers requirements.

From memory mine cost about £50 complete from my LDS

1 - 10 of 10 Posts